Giant Reign Chainguide solution?

floody

Wheel size expert
I believe the Pivot bikes are designed with a mating point for this adaptor, I don't know if thats likely to be the case for a Giant or anything else.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
339644_290851384299105_130933846957527_923511_927238386_o.jpg

Similar concept from cSixx ... will come in 2 diameters 44mm & 47mm. The main difficulty relates to weld tolerances and variables between frame makes and models. Production models are getting very close, however no official release date. Sorry to tease, but something to look out for.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Is there any other solution to installing a chain guide on the Giant Reign? I thought I saw a post recently about how to install a chain guide but cannot find it now.

I have a 2012 Giant Reign 1 and would like to try and install a chain guide and change to a 2 ring set-up.

Cheers.

From reading up about 'Widgets', maybe I should look at going that way? Anyone use one of these?

Last edited:

Smythie

Likes Bikes
My solution to keeping a dual ring

I want to keep a twin ring set up. Got any demo,s AL?
So far I have fitted a clutch derailleur (XT shadow plus) then removed the big ring. Then I drilled and tapped a new M6 hole in the derailleur mount which allows me to run the front derailleur as low to the front rings as possible. So far so good. No dropped chain. But it is just Brisbane so not as rough as other places.
P.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
reign1x10.jpg

Forget the chainguide, wolftooth 32T front ring, X9 type 2 rear mech. Took 2 links off chain after first ride and hasn't look like dropping a chain since.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I have a 2008 Reign (I think) so not sure if the same as your model but the conversion was simple enough. I replaced the large ring with a bash guard, installed a chain guide and used an ISCG adaptor plate to get it to bolt to the frame. Basically something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98IBgRy8Re0

11452.jpg

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
While we are on the subject could someone please give me a simple definition on ISCG tabs and Press fit BB...

My very limited knowledge is:

1. ISCG tabs are for attaching chain guides (which I understand the Reign doesn't have) and

2. Press fit BB is just the way the bracked is mounted (in this case everything is internal?) Why is this an issue? Does it mean I'm limited to certain cranks or cassettes?

I'm considering just going this Widget thing because it seems idiot proof and basically does what I want.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Correct
2. PFBB are standard sized, pressed in bearings that have no "cups". The BB is narrower and has no way of "attaching" a guide to the frame. Hence the pinch bolt style CLUTCHMTB solution shown above that clamps to the frame around the BB shell.

Another idea could be to use a seat tube clamped XC style chainguide as also mentioned above. Does the Reign have a direct mount style of front mech?

The WIGIT from all reports, works a treat and are bulletproof.