Giant revolt

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
Ok guys, not sure if I'm in the right area or not but I'm sure the admins will be sure to notify me if I'm not.

I have a giant revolt at home that belongs to my old man and some how, the RHS chain stay has been bent. Can you have a look at the pictures and tell me what you think? The LBS had a look and told him its a write off but I put that down to him trying to make a sale. Dad also said he got the shop to try tuning up the gears but they reckon they can't get them any better because of the dent.

Anyway, I'm keen to hear what you guys have to say. It was ridden for 3 weeks before my brother stacked it and some how did that damage.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
That's bent. Gripsport could fix it. Otherwise it's a write off.

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
Well thats a bugger. I wouldn't have thought it would have been that much of an issue. I suppose thats what happens when your bike's made from alfoil.
When I release the rear wheel is doesn't spring out all that far.

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
That's my plan. I might try another bike shop and see if they can get it shifting a bit better. I took if for a very quick ride yesterday and it seemed to be fine. I just have to remember its a bit dodgy on gear changes.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Your bike shop sound like a bunch of fuckwits. Thats not even close to a write off and that dent will not effect the gear adjustment. If it bothers you, do as others have said and have it repaired but it won't make any noticeable difference to how it rides.
I bought a road bike with a worse dent in the same spot that I chucked my wife on for some laps after the guy that sold it for $200 was told (.....by a store) that is was totally ruined. I adjusted the gears via the barrel adjustment and it worked one hundred percent fine.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree, doesnt look that bad. Id be very surprised it it was actually the dent causing the shifting issues.
This is similar damage on my MTB. Doesnt affect it one bit.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Doubtful the dent has anything at all to do with the shifting issues. Dozer is right, well there's a first time for everything I guess, take it to a reputable bike shop and get them to check the hanger. I'd put a million bucks on it that you 'tarded brother has bent the hanger in the crash.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. I really couldn't see how it could have possibly been a write off. I didn't even think about the hanger. I'll have to check out the state of the shops in town since the fella I used to use is long gone.
Thanks for the feedback.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The bend won't be causing the shifting issues, but it will like turning right more than left....

Aside from checking the hanger, it's also possible that the derailleur itself has been munted in the stack and isn't swinging freely, or straight, on its pivots.

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
Well when he bought the bike, it was shipped with the wrong derailer so they were ordering in the proper one. I'll have to check to see if it ever turned up.