Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 10 6.5%

Votes: 13 8.4%

Votes: 2 1.3%

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

nanlrider

Squid
here is my 2008 Giant STP2. this was after a good ride, and has been cleaned (everywhere eg. chain, wheel set, forks, frame, etc) since this pic.

Fork: Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 4
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Crankset: Raceface Ride DH X-type
Bottom Bracket: Raceface Ride DH X-type
Chain: Shimano IG 8 speed
Cassette: SRAM PG850 11-28T
Brakes: Shimano mechanical disc 6"
Hubs: Shimano
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite
Tyres: Maxxis Minion (F and R) 2.35"
Pedals: Wellgo
Handlebars: Raceface Ride low rise
Stem: Race Face 40mm
Seat Post: Raceface Ride
Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL

I am broke at the moment, but when i get some money, i will upgrade the parts slowely. but this is what i've got to work with untill i scrape up some cash..

Attachments

Last edited:

bellto

Likes Dirt
vote

would go to like 6 or 7 with a single speed front, better rear deraliur and better forks. good base modle though. nice dj setup.

nanlrider

Squid
would go to like 6 or 7 with a single speed front, better rear deraliur and better forks. good base modle though. nice dj setup.
thi is the only bike i have atm, and i do all kinds of riding with it. but when i get a new bike (at the moment im broke), ill turn it to SS and upgrade the parts slowly. thanks anyway

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
Thats nearly exactly the same as mine, mines a green frame and has a different cassette (SRAM) and has minion DHF (2.5) on the front and mobsters (2.5) on the back. Great bike in terms of value and quality.
I'd rate yours at about 7-8 (in the dirt jump, freeride sort of area)

EDIT: I viewed the poll results and saw people voted on it 1 and 3 (i think 3 people voted for 1 and 5 people voted for 3) :eek: :eek: :eek: wow, they must have high standards.

Last edited:

jackrush

Likes Dirt
it depends what you are comparing it to when you rate it. it is great if you compare it to a huffy but compared to stp pro or something like that it isn't that great.

nanlrider

Squid
Thats nearly exactly the same as mine, mines a green frame and has a different cassette (SRAM) and has minion DHF (2.5) on the front and mobsters (2.5) on the back. Great bike in terms of value and quality.
I'd rate yours at about 7-8 (in the dirt jump, freeride sort of area)

EDIT: I viewed the poll results and saw people voted on it 1 and 3 (i think 3 people voted for 1 and 5 people voted for 3) :eek: :eek: :eek: wow, they must have low standards.
yer, they are a good bike. I s'pose all the rich pimps didn't like my bike, eh? I also have a sram cassette though, but i didn't think that the 2.5' tyres would fit an STP2? especially in the rear... how do the Mobsters go on the back?

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
EDIT: I viewed the poll results and saw people voted on it 1 and 3 (i think 3 people voted for 1 and 5 people voted for 3) :eek: :eek: :eek: wow, they must have low standards.
I think you mean high standards. It's a fairly decent bike, after you upgrade a few parts it'll be pretty good, E.g. forks (maybe pikes), derailluer (sram X.7 onwards), brakes (avid juicys). I know thats alot of money to upgrade those parts but it would be worth it. Good bas model bike though.

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
especially in the rear... how do the Mobsters go on the back?
hey i wanted 2.5 high roller's on the back but the tread hit the front derailleur so i tryed the mobsters, great descision, the tread is rock solid and i've been using them for about 3/4 of a year and they still look barely used (after a good wash and scrub that is) and more importantly i have only lost traction a few times (meaning about 3-4 times) at ourimbah (downhill) in the mud.
I wanted originally minions on the back but the super tacky compound, which i wanted, wore off to easily on the road (that was what my local bike shop told me).

nanlrider

Squid
it depends what you are comparing it to when you rate it. it is great if you compare it to a huffy but compared to stp pro or something like that it isn't that great.
After a Stinky and an older Sookum (which i ride with), its the 3rd best bike in Smithton, Tas.. my last bike was a Huffy, and i was on a budget. and there are always better bike on top of the pile...

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
yer, if you compared the bike to a 7000 full downhill bike then it would look like crap but as i mentioned i'd be comparing to other bikes in the dirt jump / freeride range (also the price range).
And if you were to compare it to a huffy then the huffy would smash it easy :p:p (im being sarcastic by the way).

And to nanlrider i think you should change it to something along the lines of 'rate it for its value', because there are very varied results (from 1 to 10) :D

Last edited:

nanlrider

Squid
yer, if you compared the bike to a 7000 full downhill bike then it would look like crap but as i mentioned i'd be comparing to other bikes in the dirt jump / freeride range (also the price range).
And if you were to compare it to a huffy then the huffy would smash it easy :p:p (thats sarcasm if you didn't notice).

And to nanlrider i think you should change it to something along the lines of 'rate it for its value', because there are very varied results (from 1 to 10) :D
thanks. i might try out some mobsters one day, as i had thought that anything over 2.35 would rub eg, the High Rollers..

Last edited:

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
it would be a good bike after you upgrade it but unless you have got the money you couldv'e bought an stp 0.
If you don't have the money to upgrade the parts you probabally don't have the money to buy a stp 0.
In my opinion STP 2's are a 9/10 for money value and quality, and as a starting bike it takes a sh*tload of a beating. It was my first (proper) bike as i was getting into downhill, freeriding and dirt jumping (more importantly downhill and racing downhill) and my Dad didn't want to pay for a 4000 DH bike when i might not even like the sport, and the STP has taken it all in its stride.
I've got a race comming up this sunday and i'm doing it on my STP 2 with the only major upgrades being new tires and jet black grips. :D

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
I s'pose all the rich pimps didn't like my bike, eh?

no, im no where near rich, i mean cmon i ride a chucker.your bike isnt that special.
i mean its completely stock isnt it? bar the tyres? for it to grab people's attention it need some changes. i knwo you said you have no money atm, but still..

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
are you sure thats a 08. it has 07 dj4's?????
cheers
My bike is exactly the same (just dif colours and stuff like i metioned before) and i got it about August last year and i was told the '08' models (by another store clerk) were coming out in a month or something so i thought mine was an '07', BUT when i looked on the Giant site i saw that the (08) STP 2 had exactly the same (stock) specs as mine :eek:, so i'm pretty sure its '08' and the guy that told me was a specialized dealer i think, so maybe that was only for specialized :confused:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
now that bike parts are getting cheaper and more accessable, giant are starting to loose that fantastic value which everybody scrambled to get with the earlier models from a few years back. i think more value for money is becomming increasingly important with teh STP range, and if the value was lost, the sales would plumit.

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
I (as having one as my first proper mtb) still think that they arent the best bike, in the specs, but for a starting bike they are reliable and affordable in a first-time-buyer budget, and hence their popularity :D