Giant Trance 27.5 1 RWS

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Looking for some help on this one.

My stock RWS was a DT Swiss one, and had a nylon handle. The handle snapped off on a crash when I was riding along a skinny log at OMV.

So naturally I did some research on here, worked out that standard QR are 135mm and bough myself a new DT Swiss RWS this time with a metal handle so the same thing couldn't repeat.
(this one)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CIjbnpesjrwCFRMgtAodiBsADg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Installed the new skewer, but into the existing nut on the bike as the nut is special and holds the derailleur on.

Kept riding for another month all going well. Then one time I had a rear flat, changed the tube installed the tyre back on and was tightening the skewer when the Nut just stripped. What occurred was the new skewer length is about 7mm shorter than the one that came with the bike and so it wasn't using all the threads, so when I tightened it up, the small amount of threads holding it, just go destroyed.

So now I know that the actual skewer length Giant is using in this bike is like 142mm. This is because the bike is actually convertible to a 142mm through bolt with the removal of 2 small inserts in the drop outs.

Problem is now, I can't use my new skewer, and to buy a new Nylon one (which I don't want cause it'll break) from Giant is $69!

The metal one from DT Swiss is only $38.

Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells a QR skewer that is 7mm longer than a 135mm QR skewer is?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Ricker

Likes Dirt
This site is heaps cheaper.

http://www.bikeman.com/QR1933.html

Shweet, so this is all I need! Excellent work, thanks for the help.

The derailleur hangs off a little tab that is held onto the frame by the skewer running through a hole in the tab. That hole in the tab allows the bike to use a 5mm QR skewer. If that tab is taken out, I need to use a 10mm bolt as the holes in the frame are 10mm.

Ricker

Likes Dirt
You need the version that is 145mm long http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-MTB-steel because you have the 142mm rear end
Sorry just to clarify, if I have a 142mm rear, don't I need a 142mm long skewer or does such a thing not exist? Will the extra 3mm go past the end of my nut and effectively reduce the amount of threads I have in the nut again, potentially casuing a strip? Or are there plenty of threads longer than the nuts reach on the 5mm bolt

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Craig's  2014.01.21_15.jpgCraig_s__2014_01_21_24-4.jpgCraig's  2014.01.21_18.jpgCraig_s__2014_01_21_22-6.jpgCraig's  2014.01.21_17.jpg

Stock bolt shown almost all the way through the nut when attached to the bike

135mm DT Swiss RWS showing only making it through about half of the threads when attached to the bike.

Shot of the stripped threads on old nut.

Only about 3-4mm difference between the bolts but this means about 3-4 threads of difference in the nut.

Attachments

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting.

I had the 650B trance as a test bike over the weekend and noticed the odd way the rear skewer works.. The rear driveside adaptor for the derailliuer, constantly moved when the wheel was removed, and constantly required tightening so the hole would line up with the external nut that the skewer would screw in to.. Absolute PIA!! I also wondered if the rear could be converted to a bolt through as it seemed odd that it would have a QR as standard. This point alone is almost a deal breaker, until you said it can be converted...

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Yeah but to convert you need a nub hub. Isn't that a pretty costly exercise, not just the hub, but putting the new hub onto the rim? Guy at the LBS said its pretty exy. Seemed a new QR skewer would be a simpler cheaper fix

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Sorry just to clarify, if I have a 142mm rear, don't I need a 142mm long skewer or does such a thing not exist? Will the extra 3mm go past the end of my nut and effectively reduce the amount of threads I have in the nut again, potentially casuing a strip? Or are there plenty of threads longer than the nuts reach on the 5mm bolt
In terms of the RWS it's either 135 mm or 145 mm...in your case you need the 145 mm to fully engage the nut.

And...by golly...that rear wheel mounting setup is borderline stupid. Given that Giant branded wheels aren't that fabulous anyway...I'd be gunning for a new rear wheel with a straight through hub and a wider rim...and of course the rear derailleur tab off one of the carbon Trance's

2014-giant-trance-sx-advanced-9-624x416.jpg2014-giant-trance-sx-advanced-8-624x416.jpg

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Its not that bad, it makes sense really if you need to allow for a 5mm qr skewer but keep it able to be converted to 10mm through bolts, how else would you do it? I find if you have the little screw sufficiently tightened that holds the derailleur hanger and the qr nut together onto the frame, it doesn't move unless you are beating your tyre into your frame when you put it back on. As I take care when slotting it in, the derailleur hangs where its meant to and doesn't get disturbed. Its all about keeping that screw tight with some lock tight.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I am getting new wheels made up at the moment to replace the thin and heavy pxc2's and ordering the giant 142x12 adaptors + axle for mine as the rear hub will be thru bolt compatible

Also you could just work out how to unscrew the tightener head on the skewer (I think it's via the "giant" branded nut in the middle, looks like pliers might work to remove it?) and fit it onto your old one so you have new head on the right length skewer?

Edit: And apparently giant have none of these dropout adaptors in the country until May 2014! So will just use the qr for a while until I can get an axle

Last edited:

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Interesting you think you can unscrew the top of the DT Swiss rear skewer. If that is the case you have saved me a much appreciated $50. But I didn't think it would come apart.

What wheels are you getting and are you getting new hubs as well? How much if you don't mind me asking so I have an use. What's the special part that giant doesn't have to may? What u riding on?

DJR

Likes Dirt
Interesting you think you can unscrew the top of the DT Swiss rear skewer. If that is the case you have saved me a much appreciated $50. But I didn't think it would come apart.
It's worth a go...

What wheels are you getting and are you getting new hubs as well? How much if you don't mind me asking so I have an use. What's the special part that giant doesn't have to may? What u riding on?
Greg @ TWE is building them for me with 29mm rims and TWE hubs, DT comp spokes. Not that expensive but not cheap either (Greg doesn't do "standard" builds so can't really give you a repeatable price ). Special part is the dropout adaptor - what you are screwing into is an adaptable part that has the hanger and thread/hole for the skewer, that can change into a 142x12 with an axle (e.g. shimano/dt swiss), the dropout adaptors (which are out of stock till May) and a 142x12 compatible rear wheel. I think the SX models come with the thru axle standard

Ride is a 27.5 trance 1 2014 non-SX

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but to convert you need a nub hub. Isn't that a pretty costly exercise, not just the hub, but putting the new hub onto the rim? Guy at the LBS said its pretty exy. Seemed a new QR skewer would be a simpler cheaper fix
If i was to buy a Trance 650B, it would be the base model, mainly cause it looks sweet in black, but also to put parts that I want on the bike. I think I would prefer the Float as opposed to the Talas fork too...New wheels would be the first thing to be added, so the axle config required doesnt really bother me. Matt black Carbon wheels would make the bike look nice and stealth.

Ricker

Likes Dirt
I love the colour scheme of the 27.5 1 Black is meh!

For now I feel wheels aernt worth it, I prefer to just ride the bike until stuff breaks then replace. Doesn't look like you can take the skewer apart, so i'm stuck with buying a new one. oh well