giant trance advance cable rub

silverback

Likes Bikes
Hello to all of you, I have found that the rear derailer cable on my trance has left a deep groove were it has been rubbing.
As it exits out the down tube and under the bottom bracket it has worn the carbon away.
has anyone else have this issue, and what has been done I am thinking off contacting the LBS and seeing if it would be covered under warranty as in my view it is a design flaw.
any thought or advice would be appreciated.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Good luck getting warranty on cable rub. All bikes will suffer cable rub. Frameskin or similar clear protection film will prevent it.

Post some pictures of the damage so we can have a look at how bad it is?

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Me too it seems

After reading your post I thought I'd go have a look at my bike (Trance Advance 1) and I've got exactly the same issue. Bike is just gone 12 months old, probably put ~1000kms on it. Pics show how deep the groove is and it clearly only rubs when the suspension is compressed as there's plenty of clearance to the cable housing normally (the cable on the left is the front derailleur and isn't the cause, it's the blurry one on the right in the second pic).

When I first got the bike I put frame protection on all the spots where cables were close, never even considered this spot would rub though.

I have no idea if this damage could cause an issue longer term - RB carbon experts what do you think? I would imagine the carbon in the BB area is quite thick??

Given the heavy abrasion that obviously happens here I think it'll need more than some frameskin/heli tape to protect it long term.

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Helicopters tape is leading edge tape for helicoptor propellers. You would be very surprised at its abrasion resistance.
It's used in far more hostile situations than used to prevent cable rub on a bicycle.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Ah

Ah right the stuff I thought was heli tape clearly obviously isn't actually it!

Helicopters tape is leading edge tape for helicoptor propellers. You would be very surprised at its abrasion resistance.
It's used in far more hostile situations than used to prevent cable rub on a bicycle.

teK--

Eats Squid
I just run a slightly longer cable so there is no contact at suspension bottom out.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Yep noticed this on my alloy also. Also just pulled more cable through and put some tape there.

silverback

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone for your thoughts heli tape it is then. Would have thought this would have been a consideration in design stage for someone like giant, though the simple things get over looked sometimes.

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
Thats giant for you... It wouln't be covered under warranty regardless, they would just class it as "general wear and tear"