Giant Trance chain length?

Alysum

Likes Bikes
I put a new chain on my Trance X1 but after reducing the number of links to 112 I'm having troubles pedaling with chain suck so I'm wondering if the chain is still too long? Do some bikes run with 110 links? The derailleurs look fine and don't seem to need adjusting.

My old chain is in too many pieces to count how many links it had...

Thanks,
Tom

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Put your gears into smallest chainring on the front, and smallest on the back.
(probably about a 22:11 ratio)
Your chain should be in its slackest position at this point, and the lower line of chain should be pretty close to touching the derailleur itself.
Hope I made sense!

P.S. The amount of chain links is irrelevant.
Also, put this in the Parts n Stuff section next time ;)

Last edited:

Alysum

Likes Bikes
Yes that is the case but how does this help with the chain suck? I was wondering whether the derailleur tension needs adjusting?
Just want to try a few things myself before taking it to my LBS.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Yes that is the case but how does this help with the chain suck? I was wondering whether the derailleur tension needs adjusting?
Just want to try a few things myself before taking it to my LBS.
What derailleur are you running?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Put your gears into smallest chainring on the front, and smallest on the back.
would anyone actually use that combo?

I find ensuring the chain can do the biggest front/back is the important thing, you dont want to have the chain to short. :)

Maybe your chainrings are shot?? no point putting a new chain on worn rings.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
would anyone actually use that combo?

I find ensuring the chain can do the biggest front/back is the important thing, you dont want to have the chain to short. :)

Maybe your chainrings are shot?? no point putting a new chain on worn rings.
Whether or not the combo is used is not necessarily the issue - that's just a good way of sizing chains. The biggest rings front-back is too, and I think that the lower arm of the rear derailleur should typically point forwards 45 degrees when you do.

Otherwise, what spikenet he said. I think the two most common causes of chain suck are bent teeth on the chainrings, and muddy chains. We can rule out the mud with a new chain..

Alysum

Likes Bikes
Sorry I forgot to update this. Well I took the bike to the LBS and the cassette was actually worn out so was the middle ring and it's all replaced now :)

Timbers

Likes Dirt
The best and safest way to get your best chain length is to select big ring (front) top of the cassette (rear largest gear) release the air from the shock and fully compress the rear susp and run just enough chain so that the rear derailer is not over (hyper) extended, this gear combo would never normally be used with a conventional triple chain ring 27 speed set up but it gives you the mininum safest chain length and therefore should reduce/stop any chain suck issues, but keep in mind most chain suck originates from things like burs on chain rings and gear missalighnment.