Giant Trance XO 12 mods finished

BazzD

Likes Bikes
Finally finished my AM / XC Giant Trance Build.

Trying to get into some longer rides but still wanted to keep fast DH and Jumpin and this is what I have come up with

MODS:

STEM: Switched out the long stem for a 50mm. The 2012 Giants have a 1-1/4 stem width which posed a problem. Giant Aus dont stock anything shorter than a 70mm of the Reign and couldnt find a supplier in the US that would sell me one. I toke a spare RaceFace Diablous stem and had a local engineer machine it out from 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 offset to optimise strength. A little heavy but better for leaving the ground.

DRIVETRAIN: dropped the granny ring and made it a 1 x 10. Can switch betweend a 32 and 34 front depending on conditions. Switched from Long to Medium rear deraileur. Spaced the front ring with DMR single speed spacers to optimse chain line.

CHAIN DEVICES: Press fit bottom brachet made a chain device interesting. I bought a bash guard from the US which a guy makes in his shed Im sure which fits to the granny bolts on the inside of the chain ring, Great bit of kit. You can buy a top chainguide that attaches where your front derailuer goes for like $100 + from MRP. Stuff that, I bought a SRS-LG1 converter kit for like $3.99 and modified an old saint 2 speed deraileur and it works a treat. Looks like a bought one. Press fit defeated.

SEATPOST: Switched out the default Giant contact seatpost for the Reverb, just cant beat the hydro especially in the wet.

TYRES: After 3 rides and 3 flats I dropped the XC tyres and now running 2.35 single ply HighRoller tubeless. Allows me to monstertruck the DH while protecting the rims a little more.

CABLE ROUTING: I love my Giants but cant get my head around their cable routing. I have taken both the rear brake and rear gearing cable and run them under the bottom brachet and through the chainstays. Drilled out the bottom tube cable runs and run fully sheathed gear cable. Much cleaner, away from the shock and pimpin hehe.

PEDAL: Running wellgo sealed bearing pedals. SPD one side and Spikes the other. Gives options when jumping and riding logs and northshore style stuff

Attachments

scbullit

Likes Dirt
I've done the same with my gear cable - so much better, but I'd like to see a pic of what you've done with your rear brake hose. I just zip tied mine to the chain stay so it doesn't rub the shock...

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
looks sweet! i've got one of these bikes and wow they take a pounding! and they ride so well. i'm about to put a cain creek angleset in mine to slacken it off a bit.
nice job

BazzD

Likes Bikes
yeah that is the only other thing but Im not sure that cane creek make a 1-1/4 compatible version yet and I do love the talis fork. Have had an oversteer moment but only the once (havnt had the rig that long)

anthonyq

Likes Dirt
wats with the giant not being allowed to run a normal chainguide like the mrp lopes?
i just thought as long as the bb is external u could the the hell u wanted..

BazzD

Likes Bikes
sweet cable guide! looks good. was it hard to drill out the cable routing on the down tube?
No, fairly straight forward. do it on all my bikes. just start with a small drill piece first and have a piece of sand paper just to take any sharp bit off if you want.

samjam

Likes Dirt
YES....press fit defeated.....Man its the only thing i dislike about my Trance.I took the big ring off and fitted a bash ring and was thinking i may have to just put up with the chain falling off every now and then but this is fantastic.

Thinking of 140mm travel forks but in no hurry.My 2011 X2 looks great and rides lovely,really content with this bike which is not like me at all being a bike slut.

Nice bike by the way.

BazzD

Likes Bikes
YES....press fit defeated.....Man its the only thing i dislike about my Trance.I took the big ring off and fitted a bash ring and was thinking i may have to just put up with the chain falling off every now and then but this is fantastic.

Thinking of 140mm travel forks but in no hurry.My 2011 X2 looks great and rides lovely,really content with this bike which is not like me at all being a bike slut.

Nice bike by the way.
Nice one man,

Yeah I never been into XC but looking to do some 6 hrs events with some mates. Wanted something that would handle me straight lineing everything, gunna be hard braking the DH habits and couldnt be happier with the Trance their tuff as. havnt dropped a chain yet jumpin or smashing the DH sections of the trails Ive been riding. The chainguide toke a bit of thought but went together very easy and for $4 for the SRS-LG1 converter of torpedo 7 and an old front deraileur bingo. The Granny ring bash plates are cheap enough too which was a bonus.

Ride on!

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty cool stuff youve done here and i bet it rids good. But i hate those pedals. I could do it to my anthem?
As for headset - just get offset bushings from pushie (lbs or pushie.com.au) made by burgtec - cheaper and easier

BazzD

Likes Bikes
Pretty cool stuff youve done here and i bet it rids good. But i hate those pedals. I could do it to my anthem?
As for headset - just get offset bushings from pushie (lbs or pushie.com.au) made by burgtec - cheaper and easier
Yeah pedals are gooone! I didnt know burgtec sold them, I had seen them on a couple of bikes but didnt realise they were available as after market. Will look into that for my Reign XO too would be perfect Cheers

BazzD

Likes Bikes
Hey mate I was wondering If you could send me some info of the stem and how you did it.

Cheers jack :)
Hey,

I had DH stems the length I was after, so I grabed the one that would allow the most strength on the left and right sides after having the extra taken out.

Rather than just boreing the hole bigger. I had the hole done offset, that is, I kept it in the middle left/right but moved the centre of the hole towards the front of the stem.
Using the original surface at the back of the stem, not removing any. With the head of the stem generally wider, Moving the centre of the hole towards the middle of the 'triangle' again make the left / right hand sides as wide as possiable.

I just went to an engineering firm and they quoted me to do it, I think I paid $40. They manually did it on a lathe I assume.

I did take a piece of the fork steerer in with me that I had docked of the fork when I cut it down to size. They made it fit perfect.

I smash this bike and couldnt be happier, to the point I forgotten all about finding a real one. Still assume they are hard to find

Attachments