Giant warranty claim options

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
My current 26" wheeled Anthem X is at the shop for a warranty claim for a cracked down tube. This frame is a carbon replacement for my cracked alloy anthem which was a replacement for a cracked NRS.... When I was given the carbon frame I was informed that the next time I make a warranty claim I will have to change wheel size due I assume to a lack of replacement 26" frames in large. Whether this happens or not I don't know yet as I haven't had an answer back from the shop. However I can't make up my mind which option 27.5 or 29 wheels I'd prefer and I'm after some advice to make a decision if I'm given the option.

My current riding is OMV, Ourimbah, Awaba and other XC trails, I'm certainly no downhill bomber and when it comes to jumping I'm Woody Harrelson not Wesley Snipes. I occasionally race generally marathon events but a max of 4-5 races a year.

I doubt I'll get the chance to test ride each bike so which will be the better bike for the type of riding I do, the 110mm travel playful 27.5" Anthem or the the more race focused 29".
My main questions is this
Is the 29" too race focused to be fun and is it a pig to ride around a tight twisty track like OMV?

Look forward to your thoughts just remember I am stuck between a choice of Anthems, as I know a Trance will have too much bike for my abilities.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My current 26" wheeled Anthem X is at the shop for a warranty claim for a cracked down tube. This frame is a carbon replacement for my cracked alloy anthem which was a replacement for a cracked NRS.... When I was given the carbon frame I was informed that the next time I make a warranty claim I will have to change wheel size due I assume to a lack of replacement 26" frames in large. Whether this happens or not I don't know yet as I haven't had an answer back from the shop. However I can't make up my mind which option 27.5 or 29 wheels I'd prefer and I'm after some advice to make a decision if I'm given the option.

My current riding is OMV, Ourimbah, Awaba and other XC trails, I'm certainly no downhill bomber and when it comes to jumping I'm Woody Harrelson not Wesley Snipes. I occasionally race generally marathon events but a max of 4-5 races a year.

I doubt I'll get the chance to test ride each bike so which will be the better bike for the type of riding I do, the 110mm travel playful 27.5" Anthem or the the more race focused 29".
My main questions is this
Is the 29" too race focused to be fun and is it a pig to ride around a tight twisty track like OMV?

Look forward to your thoughts just remember I am stuck between a choice of Anthems, as I know a Trance will have too much bike for my abilities.
I've good news for you and your struggle with your decision.
Giant no longer make a 29er ....so if you get a 2017 frame your getting a 27.5".

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'd also like to know how Giant will work out the fact that you'll need new wheels, Fork,cranks etc for a complete different wheels sizes and standards (2017 is boost)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
I'd also like to know how Giant will work out the fact that you'll need new wheels, Fork,cranks etc for a complete different wheels sizes and standards (2017 is boost)

Easy they just swap the whole bike.

moorey

call me Mia
IF you get a complete new bike, sell the shiz out of it and buy something that won't crack again. Just sayin.

moorey

call me Mia
Ah.... just seen that. I presume they realised that XC riders actually want 29er's.

Or that those they sucked into swapping back to 27.5, can now be sucked back into another new 29"

pliskin

Likes Dirt
IF you get a complete new bike, sell the shiz out of it and buy something that won't crack again. Just sayin.
He would have to sell it to someone who didn't know about the amount of them that crack.
worst case scenario he keeps getting a new bike/frame each year from Giant .

moorey

call me Mia
He would have to sell it to someone who didn't know about the amount of them that crack.
worst case scenario he keeps getting a new bike/frame each year from Giant .
Yes, well, any scenario you ride a giant is the worst scenario :pound:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
A lot of Giants crack but they do produce a lot of bikes too.
I wouldnt own one but at least they cover warranties without hesitation.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Get them to give you a Trance, then sell the shiz out of that. Will be much easier as everyone will be gun shy of an Anthem. Particularly one without a warranty.

moorey

call me Mia
Get them to give you a Trance, then sell the shiz out of that. Will be much easier as everyone will be gun shy of an Anthem. Particularly one without a warranty.
Good point. You'd have a fair case to argue for a stronger bike after cracking numerous.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
It sure is...extremely outdated geometry.
Is this based on your experience from riding a Anthem 29er or just that its a 29er designed 4 years ago. I am concerned about the age of the design, it could it be outdated and doesn't include boost geometry which helps increase the stiffness of 29er wheels.

teK--

Eats Squid
You would have a solid argument if they can't supply a frame that is compatible with your components.
This. Giant replaced whole bike due to cracked frame when they went to disc brakes that year. Also upgraded spec by 2 levels due to stock availability.