Giant XTC-29er versus Cell X-29

Dhau

Squid
Ok ..quick intro's.

I'm a longtime recreational rider, started a job recently that is about a half hour commute from home (by bike). Have been riding a beat-up old Nishiki MTB for years and am thinking it's time to upgrade. I want a 29er to cut down the commute time. Slicks and road tyres aren't doable as I bush-bash my way down tracks for about a third of the commute.

Whilst I appreciate the fact that the XTC is obviously the better bike (derr) I am curious as to people's opinions if it is acceptable to run with the X-29 for my specific purposes but with an upgrade on the brakes, casette, chain and chainwheels. I'm 173cm tall, have tested out the 17" X-29 and it suited my height perfectly. The chainwheels in particular felt a bit cheap and tinnie.

The Giant with the same size frame stretched me out a bit (physically and financially).

Cell have knocked down the X-29 to $999. If anyone knows of any possible dodyness re consumer complaints and a need for them to offload them ASAP, please tell me. That price with the upgrades required takes it to roughly $1200.

For another grand more, I can get the Giant ...a local store in Parramatta (Blackmans) in Sydney has stock ready to go.

Decisions, decisions ...the X-29 does all I want it to do ....it FEELS like a more comfortable ride but I'm dithering on going an extra $1K for a brand ...and a blue/white paintjob.

Am I being silly?

I'm also waiting on Bike Barn to get back to me with prices on the Kona kahuna and hei hei.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can, test all the bikes you have your eye on, make sure it fits well, then pull the trigger on the one that fits all your criteria.

When talking about jumping from a $999 bike and a $2000, people who spend the extra $1000 rarely regret it. But at the end of the day you get what you can afford, if you love to ride, you will still love to ride, your bike may have a few shortcomings, but you will still enjoy to ride.

If it were me, I'd spend the extra.

It all comes down to what you feel comfortable on really. Don;t let any bike snob tell you a cell isn;t good enough. I saw a guy riding my local single track on a repco 10 speed. He was having a great time.

Dhau

Squid
Cheers.

Of course Cell runs the business structure it does to make a profit BUT they have undoubtedly placed quality rides within the reach of most middle to low income brackets. Pretty much anyone under 30 living in the inner west on a student income can pick up something to get them from A to B and it won't fall apart like a Target or Kmart job.

I can deal with a slightly more heavy frame and less-flash paintjob to support a business like that. And seriously ...A grand for a 29er with those Deore gears, that's a stupidly good price.

If this new job wasn't so time consuming (graduate lawyer) and I still had time for recreational off-road rides on the weekend, I would undoubtedly go for the Giant. As it stands, doing an hour-long round commute five days a week (in good weather only) will give me the fitness check I need and I know I won't be bothered riding on weekends.

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
As they say, you get what you pay for. But I have a XTC 29er

If the Giant is stretching you, get a shorter stem swapped onto it.

If you are only going to commute on it I would also look at the AVANTI scratch

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/100102333-avanti-scratch-29-1-0

A mate bought one of these and its a bit heavy but it is tidy and tight. it already has the better fork on it than the 999 Cell bike so when you upgrade the fork IMO the AVANTI is a better deal.

FnS..

chumbox

Likes Bikes
For what you want to do it sounds like the Cell bike is a good deal for you. If you however plan to get more serious about riding off road then it would be worth looking at the XTC29er or the Avanti Scratch or the plethora of other 29er hardtails in the $2K range.

Don't forget to look for 2009 or 2008 models either. It can make a huge difference in price. I'm running a pretty good spec'd $2,300 RRP Kona 29er that I got for $1,650 and it is very off road worthy but it was last years model.

Make sure though that the bike fits you well, you are comfortable and you can stand looking at it every day.:)

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For what you want to do it sounds like the Cell bike is a good deal for you. If you however plan to get more serious about riding off road then it would be worth looking at the XTC29er or the Avanti Scratch or the plethora of other 29er hardtails in the $2K range.

Don't forget to look for 2009 or 2008 models either. It can make a huge difference in price. I'm running a pretty good spec'd $2,300 RRP Kona 29er that I got for $1,650 and it is very off road worthy but it was last years model.

Make sure though that the bike fits you well, you are comfortable and you can stand looking at it every day.:)

+1 (10 characters)

chumbox

Likes Bikes
I thought it was supposed to be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto, Minnie Mouse, Daffy Duck, Goofy, Marvin the Martian, Bugs Bunny, Bender & Fry.
groan:rolleyes:
OT: Clearly you are a dad, no one else has permission to fling this sort of humour around so freely! I like it! ;)

Lard

Likes Dirt
I recently got the Giant 29er, and love it. But I also love getting out on the XC trails quite a bit so I went for the lighter, better spec'd bike. If it's purely for the commute I'd go for a cheaper option. Could you even go single speed? There's been quite a few cheap 29ers go on ebay lately. I saw a 2008 GT 29er go for $400 today, someone got a bargain!

Dhau

Squid
Major change of plans re Cell.

I have read too many horror stories regarding post-sale service on various forums along with some negative word-of-mouth on the same topic, ie people putting bikes in for repair and waiting .....waiting .....waiting ....waiting until the job gets finished.

I've decided it is probably better to wait a bit and save up for something around the 2K to 2.5K mark. I'd like to get atleast 2-3 years trouble free daily riding out of it.

Via Google maps it also looks as if I can make my commute 80% off-road (Eastwood to Parramatta) although this may involve the odd semi-legal detour through private property.

If I'm going to bash it around then I'll obviously want to spend up a bit.

Looking at the Cannondale 29'ers, Avanti-Scratch, whatever Kona models are still around and the XTC-29.

Regarding test rides, the guy at Cell didn't really care less about me taking the X-29 for a spin ..is that the norm with bike shops thesedays? Leave your wallet and phone behind and take her around the block for a couple of mins?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
mmm, i wouldn't leave wallet and phone with bikeshop without a friend there or something.. drivers license, sure..

From what i can tell, the XTC-29er is probably the best bang for buck componentry wise (like a number of Giant bikes at similar or lower price points). I think it's probably worth going for that $2k price point though

Dhau

Squid
Had another look at the XTC today ...just not sure about the 'feel' of it. I'm having to stretch out a bit to get a comfortable grip on the handlebars (this is on a 16" frame) ...yet on the 17" X-29 the size was perfect all round.

Liking the idea of a Gary Fisher. Will have a look at the X-Caliber 29 tonight at Lane Cove (if I get there in time). They're asking $2399 for it.

Sheeesh ...the more I dither around on this, the more I look like spending.

chumbox

Likes Bikes
Had another look at the XTC today ...just not sure about the 'feel' of it. I'm having to stretch out a bit to get a comfortable grip on the handlebars (this is on a 16" frame) ...yet on the 17" X-29 the size was perfect all round.

Liking the idea of a Gary Fisher. Will have a look at the X-Caliber 29 tonight at Lane Cove (if I get there in time). They're asking $2399 for it.

Sheeesh ...the more I dither around on this, the more I look like spending.
You can always put a shorter stem on the XTC, or the fit may be set up wrong for you.

As far as test rides, you never have to leave more than your licence... wallet and phone? That's just insane and asking for trouble.

Lard

Likes Dirt
The bars on the XTC are also pretty wide so that might make you stretch a little more, I put thinner bars on mine.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
times 2 on the shorter stem. Wider bars can help with the steering confidence. I'd keep the wider bars. You won't be reaching any further forward, just wider.

I run a large frame with a short stem.

I could run a medium frame, but the longer stem required just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Lard

Likes Dirt
times 2 on the shorter stem. Wider bars can help with the steering confidence. I'd keep the wider bars. You won't be reaching any further forward, just wider.

I run a large frame with a short stem.

I could run a medium frame, but the longer stem required just doesn't feel comfortable to me.
A little maths would show you that as your hands move wider, your shoulders move further forward. 100mm difference in bars makes your shoulders ~20mm further forward.