Giant XTC2 or Merida Matts TFS 900 D??

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone. Sorry about this annoying thread, but I need some opinions...
Im moving onto to better things (currently have a giant rincon )
and Im now down to 2 bikes...XTC2 or the merida....so I was hoping I could get some thoughts on these bikes. Below are the specs. They are both around $1700 which is a bit above my budget, but hey, its only money
anyways, would appreciate any comments. Im planning on riding fire trails & single track stuff. Im female, 168cm & 70kg.Thanks.

Giant XTC 2
frame ALUXX SL alloy: double/triple butted, integrated gusset
fork Rockshox Recon 351 Air w/ Motion Control & PopLoc, 100mm/4"
rear derailleur SRAM X-9 9 speed
front derailleur Shimano Deore
shifters SRAM X-7 trigger shift 27 speed
crankset Raceface Evolve XC X-Type 22x32x44T
bottom bracket Raceface Evolve XC X-Type integrated, outboard
shift/chain guide
chain Shimano HG53 9 speed
cassette SRAM PG950 9 speed 11-34T
brakes Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic w/6" rotors
brake levers Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic
hubs Shimano M475 disc 32H
rims Mavic XM117 disc 26" x 32H
spokes 15G stainless
tyres Hutchinson Piranha Airlight folding 26 x 2.0"
pedals Shimano M520 SPD clipless
h.bar/stem Easton EA30 low rise/Easton EA30
seat post Easton EA30 30.9
saddle WTB Devo Team
grips Giant lock-on

Merida Matts TFS 900 D
Fork Manitou Relic Super 80 lockout.
BB Set Attached
B-Lever Attached
Brake-F Avid Juicy 5 185
Brake-R Avid Juicy 5 160
C-Housing SP41 seal
Chain Shimano CN-HG73
Chainwheel Shimano LX 44-32-22
DERA-F Shimano XT
DERA-R Shimano XT Top Normal
Freewheel Shimano HG50-9 11-32
Bar-End XM Comp
Grip XM Speed
H-Bar XM Pro Flat 600
H-B Stem XM Comp 10
Head Set M11 Neck
Hub-F Shimano XT disc
Hub-R Shimano XT disc
Pedal Shimano M505
Rim Alex TD17 disc Black
Saddle XM Comp
Seat Clamp XM Comp QR
Seat Post XM Comp SB20 27.2
Shifter-F Shimano XT rapidfire
Shifter-R Shimano XT rapidfire
Spoke Stainless Black
Tire-F Maxxis RanChero 2.2 Kevlar
Tire-R Maxxis RanChero 2.2 Kevlar

Beej1

To be honest it's a pretty close call with these two. I think the Merida slightly out-specs the Giant. But you don't have to base your decision on specs alone. While the paint job of a bike is meaningless to it's performance, you have to love your bike. You can't ride/own a bike which, every time you look at it, you just wish you'd gotten something that you liked the looks of more.

The Merida has better brakes (Fives with bigger front rotor over Threes), though the 185mm rotor is a bit overkill for a 70kg person riding fire trails and a bit of singletrack.

I'm inclined to ask: Which one feels better? Which one feels like it wants to be owned?

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Actually, theyre both pretty nice looking bikes. And Ive only had a chance of riding the merida due to crappy insurance issues with all local giant dealers.
I think its going to come down to getting one locally or driving 100kms for one. :) Altho, I have a giant now, never any probs....oooh too hard
Thanks for your input tho :)

Attachments

STS01

Likes Dirt
Anyone else?
I don't think there's much in it in terms of spec:

-The Relic forks look a bit cheap (and does the 80 signify 80mm travel?- if so I'd avoid them)
-There is no functional difference between Juicy 3 and Juicy 5

In terms of weight, the XTC frame should be around 1400g which is decent. It's the same frame as the higher spec XTC (but obviously not the carbon one...). Other than a few more 'no-name' type cockpit parts on the Merida the spec is so similar weight will pretty much come down to the frame. Both would benefit from a lighter cassette at purchase time.

Otherwise I'd say go with either the one you like the look of best, decide based on whether you prefer Shimano or SRAM or toss a coin.

But since you asked.... Go the XTC ;)

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I have a Merida and I love it.

Merida make the frames for Specialized so they are very good quality bikes. I also like that they are less common than the Giant. I chose my Merida based on the feel of the bike though, because thats what really matters.

The spec list on the Merida is slightly better than they Giant, particularly in the hubs and the gears. It does however only come with an 80mm fork. I switched the fork on mine (to a 100mm Fox) to slacken the head angle up and make it more trail friendly.

The warranty on the Merida is 5 years (I think) for the frame which is plenty long enough to give it heaps =)

Best of luck in your decision!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi GrooveJet,

I'd probaly pick the Giant. I'm 169cm and somewhere around 65kg, currently riding last years Trance 3. So my reasoning behind going with the Giant is:

100mm travel - with your weight running a bit more sag would make it more plush compared to an 80mm, and gives you room to grow if you discover the fun of going off small drops and jumps.

Sram vs Shimano, well the debate always continues in this regard but I have found Sram to be relatively maintenance & hassle free - a lot more likely to keep going when the going gets tough (mud etc).

Yes the lesser spec in other areas (hubs) would make me lean towards the Merida so it's a hard one .You can't go wrong with either bike really.

Find out what they weigh, it may help you decide a bit. And also consider that it would cost the most to replace: frame, fork, wheels, brakes, so make sure you are at least happy with those components.

I'm sure whichever one you pick in the end will be a great bike, although at that price you could almost get a dually.

Suprez

Likes Dirt
Both bikes have a great spec list. As mentioned it should come down to what feels the best for you.

I'm gonna be a pain here and chuck another bike into the mix that you may or may not have already considered. It falls into that $1700 RRP bracket you mentioned and has a killer spec list too. These babies can be picked up for $1400 or less if you talk to the right shops, depending on whether any are left in stock too...

Norco Nitro

Suggested Retail AUS: 1699

Frameset
Frame: Triple butted & hydraformed aluminum, semi integrated headtube
Fork: Rockshox Recon Air, U-Turn 85-130mm travel adjust & Motion Control

Wheelset
Front Hub: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Rear Hub: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Front Rim: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Rear Rim: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Spokes: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Front Tire: Kenda Komodo, 2.10
Rear Tire: Kenda Komodo, 2.10

Brakeset
Front Brake: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic, 6" rotor
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic, 6" rotor
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 5

Drivetrain
Crankset: Shimano FC-M442, Octalink BB, 44/32/22
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty, clipless
Chain: KMC Z-9000
Freewheel: SRAM PG-950, 9 speed, 11-32
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, 31.8
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Front Shifter: Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire, 9 speed
Rear Shifter: Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire, 9 speed

It comes equipped with the U-turn adjustable Rock Shox Recon so you can get the best of all travel ranges between 80-130mm. Bars, stem and seatpole are all ritchey parts. This bike oozes quality in my opinion with the no name shimano cranks being the only downer as far as i can see.

Cheers

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Oooh hadnt looked at the Norco....thanks :D

Both bikes have a great spec list. As mentioned it should come down to what feels the best for you.

I'm gonna be a pain here and chuck another bike into the mix that you may or may not have already considered. It falls into that $1700 RRP bracket you mentioned and has a killer spec list too. These babies can be picked up for $1400 or less if you talk to the right shops, depending on whether any are left in stock too...

Norco Nitro

Suggested Retail AUS: 1699

Frameset
Frame: Triple butted & hydraformed aluminum, semi integrated headtube
Fork: Rockshox Recon Air, U-Turn 85-130mm travel adjust & Motion Control

Wheelset
Front Hub: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Rear Hub: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Front Rim: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Rear Rim: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Spokes: Mavic Crossride wheelset
Front Tire: Kenda Komodo, 2.10
Rear Tire: Kenda Komodo, 2.10

Brakeset
Front Brake: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic, 6" rotor
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic, 6" rotor
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 5

Drivetrain
Crankset: Shimano FC-M442, Octalink BB, 44/32/22
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty, clipless
Chain: KMC Z-9000
Freewheel: SRAM PG-950, 9 speed, 11-32
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, 31.8
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Front Shifter: Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire, 9 speed
Rear Shifter: Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire, 9 speed

It comes equipped with the U-turn adjustable Rock Shox Recon so you can get the best of all travel ranges between 80-130mm. Bars, stem and seatpole are all ritchey parts. This bike oozes quality in my opinion with the no name shimano cranks being the only downer as far as i can see.

Cheers

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Norco makes nice bikes

The Norco Nitro was my dream bike way back in '99 before I could even afford to think about getting a real bike, but in '01 my first real bike was a Specialized Hardrock.

Some brands I battled it out with last year when buying the Trance was: Giant, Specialized, Kona & Norco.

The bicycle buyers guide (available from newsagents) is handy for making yourself a list of brands that have bikes in your price range.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They changed the numbering system for '07, the Trance 2 is now equivalent to the '06 Trance 3, but I think they have upspecced a few parts on it and of course the price to match. The RRP on the '06 models was about $2250. The Giant Trance 2 '07 is $2495
http://www.riders.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_164_167&products_id=2336&osCsid=9d8ad720e7dae6a601de02d615c33fdd

If you're thinking of going for a Trance I would wait until the new models are coming in.
a. there are rumors of the shock mount changing again (notice the '06 & '07 designs differ in that area), I've heard that they are likely to become similar to ironhorse, all hearsay at this stage of course
b. if you like the current design there are more likely to be specials going around at that time of year.

Also check out the likes of the Norco Fluid range, Kona, Specialized etc becaue it's alway good to compare.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh and the other idea would be to browse the for sale section here and also Ebay for 2nd hand ones, they would only be a year old or so at most and a lot of people sell to get the latest or change to a Reign etc etc.

I've seen a few recently that are barely ridden up for sale either here / ebay or mtbdirt, but no guarantee you'll find one in your size.

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
HHmmmmm just found an XTC 1 for $1950.........damnit!
Too many shiny new bikes for me to chose from :D
Its a nice problem to have!