Giant's 2016 range

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Interesting with Giant being so BIG on the 650B front...........it hasn't released anything with the + sizing like some of the other big players.
Giant's typical frame production run is three years (although there have been deviations from that), and this new release marks the third year of current XTC, Anthem & Trance frames, and second for Reign & Glory. They're also a bit tied up with the TCR road bike being this year's Big New Thing, hence little evolution for the MTB models. Next year will probably see some changes.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox rear shocks make a reappearance, and maybe wider rims on the am bikes. I blame SC for these fucked up colour schemes.

will2

Likes Dirt
why have value for money when you can be one of few mongs to pay through the ass for some boutique gear!

giant always seem to have better colours on the higher spec models, presumably to force people to upgrade to a more expensive bike for a colour scheme they prefer. offensive colours is all the rage at the moment though.. i'd happily ride the bright blue reign, that thing looks awesome.
Big props. I want to buy a 2015 Reign Advanced 0. Hopefully get one on run out. Currently $5600 at FTR which is a steal.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It's a niner, even if you couldn't see it, you'd hear it's groaning bottom bracket ....
Only people who can't set their EBB's right.
Mine is quiet. Had a creaking one but that was because the alloy insert interface wasn't right.. replaced within 2 days at no cost to me

benparker79

Likes Bikes
Giant's typical frame production run is three years (although there have been deviations from that), and this new release marks the third year of current XTC, Anthem & Trance frames, and second for Reign & Glory. They're also a bit tied up with the TCR road bike being this year's Big New Thing, hence little evolution for the MTB models. Next year will probably see some changes.
Looks like Anthem 29er alloy has new frame, and new swingers on both anthem 29ers

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Might be time for a fresh paint job on my 2014 trance SX. Nothing new this year, other than the 80's colour schemes, and probably a 20% price increase. I do like the colours.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i do like the decals on the new 2016 fox forks..... the paint on the frames looks a bit how you going though.

mtb1611

Seymour
Nor do they seem capable of developing decent handling 29ers. I like Giant but IMO their whole 650B is the shiz/only choice message seems like an easy way of making the 26 obsolete without putting in the hard yards developing + sizes, 29ers with short chainstays etc.
I agree with pharmaboy.....I have a 2013 TranceX 29-er 0 and consider it to be the best-handling bike I've ever had. Gotta love it when riders blame their lack of skill on their tools.

When you buy a Giant you do so knowing that you'll be the target of boutique-brand bike snobs who delight at the prospect of telling everyone how rare their steed is compared to yours. Then you tear past them on a climb.....

Ivan

Eats Squid
I agree with pharmaboy.....I have a 2013 TranceX 29-er 0 and consider it to be the best-handling bike I've ever had. Gotta love it when riders blame their lack of skill on their tools.

When you buy a Giant you do so knowing that you'll be the target of boutique-brand bike snobs who delight at the prospect of telling everyone how rare their steed is compared to yours. Then you tear past them on a climb.....

Different strokes for different folks.
If you like lifting the front wheel often or whipping through tight corners, long chainstays suck (this is amplified the shorter you are). Long chainstays are great for downhill stability and climbing traction and steering. The 18.2" chainstays of the Anthem X 29 (17.8" for Trance x) are long compared to the rest of the market.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Sorry, I should have inserted IMO in that post, and I realise that different bikes work for different people. I have just preferred some of the other 29ers I've tried, Spesh Enduro 29 and Kona Process 111 spring to mind.

I hate bike snobbery too. I pretty much only look at the big 3 when shopping for bikes - Giant, Spesh and Trek. I like to test bikes before buying. I break stuff and I like having a dealer network for warranty support. I'm not emotionally attached to any bike and I don't care about bling, only price/performance. I usually look at the Giant's first because of the value for money (although the way bike prices seem to be going value for money doesn't seem to apply to any brand anymore).

My main beef with Giant the last few times I've been into dealers has been the strong '650B or nothing' agenda they push. I'm not married to any wheel size but choice is good (I even used to ride an old bighit with a 24" on the back, back when hucking to flat was the thing). I think it's a bit of a cop-out, they should put in the R+D in to developing some great 29ers or refining their already great 29ers (depending on your opinion).

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Different strokes for different folks.
If you like lifting the front wheel often or whipping through tight corners, long chainstays suck (this is amplified the shorter you are). Long chainstays are great for downhill stability and climbing traction and steering. The 18.2" chainstays of the Anthem X 29 (17.8" for Trance x) are long compared to the rest of the market.
Generally speaking, I agree.

I owned a 430mm chainstay 29er and moved to a 450mm chainstay 29er. It certainly is ALOT harder to lift the front wheel. It might be VERY slightly less agile through the tightest corners. But in other respects in handles better (having the front wheel weighted is a lot better in flat and uphill corners).