Glandular Fever

Matt H

Eats Squid
So I've landed this fucker of a virus and I've been practically bed-ridden for the last 2 days and I'm just getting worse and worse. Can anyone who's had this before recommend what I should be eating/taking/etc. to help me get better? Getting to the business end of the uni semester now and I really can't afford to be getting sick.

Thanks in advance.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Not going to be a huge help to you but when I had glandular fever back in '91 (showing my age) the doctors sent me home to rest and that's it, no drugs or further advice. I ended up going to a naturopath who gave me an assortment of vitamins etc which actually really helped and I was back in action very quickly considering it can take people out for a long time. I don't normally do the whole alternative therapy band wagon but in this case it did actually help. As I said, not a huge help but anything can be worth a try when you come down with something so shitty.

Last edited:

tumble

Likes Dirt
Loads of Penicilin, which you'll need a prescription for.
Unfortunately because Penicillin is so strong it makes you feel worse than the actual illness.
I felt like I was on deaths door when I had it a few years ago, out of action completely for 3-4 weeks with no income.
I don't envy you right now. As for the food, you will be so swallen in the throat that generally only Yogos & less solid foods will go down.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Mate, rest. If u do any sort of strenuous exercise often then id reccomend cutting back on it until your health picks back up. I personally know 2 people (my ex gf and one of her bestfriends) in the last 2 years who have ended up with chronic fatigue because they kept trying to keep up their elite swimming and water polo training regimes.

Sure that might sound a bit full on but its something that can really ruin your health for an extended time if you try to push yourself too much.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take adembs advice, chronic fatigue would suck hard! I know more than one person who have got that from having glandular fever and pushing themselves.

Also, take it from someone who's had glandular fever, tonsilitis 3 (or 4? I've lost count) times as well as countless throat infections, rest. And continue on hating life cause it pretty much sucks hardcore.

Good luck.

:)

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eat as much finely chopped raw garlic as you can handle. Like a bulb per day (not a clove .... a bulb !) Worked for me when I had the dreaded disease many years ago. I lived on the garlic and black tea for a week , couldn't eat anthing solid like anyway.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I got diagnosed with it 18 months ago and have only just started feeling 100% again. my liver function went downhill for a while which was when I really felt bad. alcohol is a huge no no, as it will make you feel like a turd for weeks. I took some liver cleansing tabs which did help a bit. Anytime I tried to get back into a bit of exercise, I would end up feeling shit for weeks.
Good luck dude.

aline0807

Likes Bikes
I had the virus about 2 months ago and im only now getting over it. Passing out when standing for for more than a few mins, not being able to eat solid foods, and having the shit kicked outa your body from the cortozone (mild steroids) that the doctor gave me, were just a few of the pain in the ass effects.

I think it would be worth your while to purchase a Ps3, got me through it.... :|

Kirby.

Squid
I recently got this fucker as well its the biggest pain in the ass! Having three seasons of Burn Notice on dvd which I hadn't watched was pretty convenient. All I can say is keep well rested and don't try to get back and riding within a couple of weeks, It will just keep coming back.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
without sounding like a complete cunt,

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

I was bedridden for wellll over a month. Spent a week in hospital wiht some complications about a heart murmour and tonsillitis...

REST

REST

REST MORE

THEN REST.

When you feel better,

gueessssssss what?

REST!

Seriously, wait until the doc gives you the all clear!

My supposedly minor ailment, turned into a 9 month ordeal. I was bored out of my mind the whole time... unable to do shit...

fuck you glange!

good luck;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I got it late last year and symptons still show up on some days. Man, you've got to rest. You have to try and not dwell too much on the shit that is happening around you and rest. It will go away but in the meantime you have to do as little as possible.
I dread the day that I get it again, it sucks dogs nuts.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Glandular fever put my arse in bed for a month. Its pretty much like everything rolled into one illness. Its fantastic value for money :p

Start the planning now - get a lcd or plasma in your room, plus a computer or gaming console. You will be there for a while.

I also copped a massive load of mouth ulcers when I had it, on top of my already raging throat making eating anything difficult.

Good luck.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
i had it in year 10 in like 04 was out of action for a whole school term. went back for the last week doing half days (lunch till finish) was fucked. the school hols before and after were just bedtime for me. even a month after the worst of it (the worst was me lying in bed not being able to move, eat, drink or shit) i remember getting upright being a struggle. 2 months after walking to the car and then back inside meant a 4 hour nap wherever i fell.

stay rested. the internet is your friend as is consoles. best of luck with it