Glenrock Trail Alliance to become a Club

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Some of you from Newcastle may recall discussion in the past about the GTA setting up as a club. Right now I am looking to gauge interest from local riders, who would be interested joining such a club and who would be interested in joining a committee.

We had previously looked heavily into affiliation with IMBA, that unfortunately won't happen as IMBA has been disbanded and is now essentially MTBA. Because of this we have started speaking with MTBA about setting up a club and things look positive. We have also been speaking with HMBA and won't be offering race licences if we get the club off the ground. We don't see the GTA as a racing club, and as such don't see the need to step on the toes of HMBA in that regard, intact I think there is the opportunity for the two to feed off each other.

The rational behind starting a club is to increase transparency in what we do and to really bring the mtb community onboard and allow more people to easily have a say in Glenrock Issues and feel like they have been heard and acted upon. It increase our legitimacy with land managers and would better help get information out to riders and back to the committee and land managers.

The club is being pitched as a non-racing club, in that we won't seek race licences, just club memberships and MTBA memberships for those who want them.

I want, initially to keep the membership to an nominal amount, no more than $10. We could review that once the club is running.

In terms of a Committee, the club has to have an executive under MTBA Rules (Pres, Vice Pres, Treasurer, Secretary).

Out side of that is where I see the important roles sitting,

Major Trail Works Coordinator
General Maintenance Coordinator
Social Coordinator
Possibly a liaison for DH, and DJ riders (we do need to keep these trails in discussions).

This committee would meet monthly (or every second month), and anyone would be welcome to the meetings as with any other club.

What I want now, is freed back, input etc from the riders.

Are you interested?
Do you see a better way of doing things?
questions?

Doesn't sound like there are going to be any issues from MTBA about this from initial chats. Will be having a chat with them on monday to go over the finer details.

I've also been sent some draft versions of constitutions from WSMTB and NSWMTB to work with. These are almost tweaked to suit our purposes, I will post them up shortly for people to read through. Any comments once it is up would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to set up the constitution so a person can only hold only one role within the club committee.

Once the affiliation happens and the club is incorporated, we will need to have the inaugural meeting to confirm the committee. What day/time as a general rule suits people. Granted we won't be able to please everyone with a date, but hopefully we can maximise numbers.

So who is interested, or has some thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Lenny

You can follow the GTA at;
http:www.Glenrocktrailalliance.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glenrock-Trail-Alliance
or on twitter https://twitter.com/Glenrock_Trails (@Glenrock_Trails)

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just stumbled across this thread. I'd be interested in joining. Maybe look at posting something in a high traffic area to get some more interest going.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Bit of an update on the GTA as a club movement. We will (hopefully) be lodging the GTA Incorporation forms today or tomorrow.

This means we will have to sort out a date and venue for the first General Meeting. Venue is probably the big issue as a mid week meeting at 7pm seems to suit the most.

In the past we have used Adamstown Club, but as this is closing down somewhere else will need to be found. I had thought Charlestown Bowling Club, but does anyone else have a suggested meeting place?

At this meeting we will need to put in place the first committee. If you wish to nominate for a role (or even suggest a position that we should have) you can do it here or by messaging me.

A list of positions will be;

Executive Positions (required for an incorporated body)

President (I will nominate myself for this one)
Vice President
Treasurer
Secretary

Other positions (probably the important stuff)

Major Trail Works Coordinator (would suggest Mick Plummer for continuity of contact with NPWS)
General Maintenance Coordinator
Social Coordinator
Webmaster
Newsletter Coordinator

Ideas have been thrown up about having a woman's coordiator (womens rides and social events) and a Bike Shop Liaison. Any thoughts on these or suggestions for other roles would be welcomed.

Lenny

Just stumbled across this thread. I'd be interested in joining. Maybe look at posting something in a high traffic area to get some more interest going.
Probably should post it elsewhere. Might put something in the general forum.