Glory 8 or Reign (2007)

Glory 8 or Reign

• Total voters

clivey

Likes Dirt
okay people, the big debate here. if i am going from an hardtail xc and wanting to do more DH and freeride but still a little xc, should i buy a Giant reign or a giant glory 8? i have done some research but am still undecided.

what are your views?! :)

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
The Glory is a very DH orientated bike and would be a bit of a pig to ride XC on. The reign would be exactly what your looking for, have a wander in the All Mountain section on this site and you'll find a bit of info on the reign or any other good AM bikes. Just be aware that the newer reigns have a press fit BB and no iscg mounts so fitting a chainguide in the future could be troublesome.......:02.47-tranquillity:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Um, you won't be able to do any XC on a Glory... Reign X is really the only bike that will be adequate for some DH and still be able to pedal uphill. Personally I'm not a fan of 'hybrid' bikes, the best bet is to get a lighter XC bike like a Trance or Anthem and also get a Glory for any real DH.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
I think the question we should be asking is, what's your budget? What is your current XC bike?

ray

Likes Bikes
I'd go the Reign...they cop a huge amount of abuse....well mine does, never let me down, i have the 08 model Reign 0

at the moment my view is my business partner's desk..., later it will be Manly Beach.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
xc on a glory 8 would be a nightmare! get on the waiting list now for a Knee rebuild!

Perhaps a Reign X1- i used that for all mountain/XC for a while, and it was great fun.

Currently have a Glory and a 2010 Reign 0. Reign is pretty good for XC/ All mountain. The head angle is a little bit steep for anything steep and gnarly.

my view is of the airport ;)

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
ah this old chesnut! just spent months trying to pursude my mate to get the reign x over the reign as its more fun downhill. He ended up getting the X and loves it. Climbs very well for an AM bike too.

I guess it depends on what you enjoy doing most DH or Climbing. Personally ive never got to the top of a hill on my bike and though...i wish i had a lighter bike so i could climb faster..its been more like thank fark thats over ha ha. But on the Dh i know i would regret not having as much travel as i could get away with.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Owning a 2007 glory 8 I can say for certain the following things

-They are not a bike you can pedal up a hill,although they have a big gear range they are tanks and when the suspension is dh set up they suck.
-They pedal worse than a dh bike due to their higher weight
-They ride DH very well and will take generally anything you throw at it, but a dh bike will be faster if you want to race
-Freeriding they are amazing, good on drop,bomb proof and despite thier heavy weight they seem to float and jump very well.
-They pedal fairly well downhill due to the maestro design but wouldnt point it up hill.
-They are heavier to push up than a dh bike.

Conclusion
I found that the glory 8 was a fantastic bike and for its intended use of freeride will more than deliever, for dh it is easily capable.
My negative out look is purely because I ride DH and for me I do it for fun but also to go fast and beat the clock, in which case a dh bike is ideal. For a weekend warrior who tends to freeride and ride some dh it will be great. But if you plan on riding up hill dont buy one.

Last edited: