Glory vs nukeproof scalp

james1

Likes Dirt
Hey just looking on some advice, looking at buying a cheap second hand downhill bike. Looking at either a 2010-12 glory or a 2012 nukeproof scalp.
I've riden a glory before and they are nice but was wondering if anyone has riden the scalp and even better both?
Any help is appreciated

Cheers

haltz

Likes Dirt
I've owned both. The scalp is a more precise riders bike, great suspension set-up but doesn't let you get away with plowing like a glory but not much does. The scalp are a bit heavy, I had a pulse afterward and so was it but for the year model you're looking at I'd choose the scalp any day for all out speed and stability with a better geometry

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What about for a novice rider just getting into it? (Downhill)
Then either will suit you just fine and you think it is the best bike you have ever owned...personly I'd get the glory for the same reasons I listed in the glory vs tr450 thread. Plushness.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Then either will suit you just fine and you think it is the best bike you have ever owned...personly I'd get the glory for the same reasons I listed in the glory vs tr450 thread. Plushness.
Yeah for a start off bike you may enjoy the glory more, they are a plow machine but that's not to say a scalp or tr450 can't be set up plush I just found both nukeproofs I owned liked to be ran a bit stiffer, I'll post a link to a chest cam run on the scalp

http://youtu.be/u6p0QkmraFo

james1

Likes Dirt
Haha well that video makes me like the scalp, looks sick. Did you like the nukeproof? Do they feel heavy/have a heavy feeling suspension design? And it's probably a hard question but which would be more "confidence inspiring"? I'm on a 2010 reign x at the moment and it just feels a bit scary/out of control in the rough stuff and doesn't corner great. I guess both bikes will be an improvement but yeah any help is appreciated.
Cheers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Both will inspire confidence way more than your current bike. Both will feel heavy by comparison as well. The glory will be smoother over small sharp edged bumps, of which there tends to be a lot on a dh track. The scalp is a nice bike (one of my chums has one). But they will "hook" a lot more until you learn to float through chunder. Both bikes will deliver hours and hours of fun dh riding.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Haha well that video makes me like the scalp, looks sick. Did you like the nukeproof? Do they feel heavy/have a heavy feeling suspension design? And it's probably a hard question but which would be more "confidence inspiring"? I'm on a 2010 reign x at the moment and it just feels a bit scary/out of control in the rough stuff and doesn't corner great. I guess both bikes will be an improvement but yeah any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Loved the nukeproofs, only reason I don't still have one is because I got sick of not riding it enough, but since I only have a trail bike now I won't rule out the chance of getting a nukeproof mega down the line. Mine came in just over 17kg which isn't really all that heavy I suppose. It didn't have a light build either really. That's both my nukeproofs
FB_IMG_1445981502851.jpg
FB_IMG_1445981061522.jpg

james1

Likes Dirt
I just wanted to know about the weight I see the nukeproof is about 18.5 where the glory is low 17s. Is it noticeable?
Cheers

Flint

Likes Dirt
2010 to 2012 Glory's have a 65.5 degree head angle. I'd go for something slacker if I were you and just starting out in DH.

The head angle on the Scalp is 63 degrees, its going to be longer, slacker and more stable, probably lower as well.

Would be an easy choice for me based on that alone.

Having said that I failed pretty hard at DH, smashed my leg and now have 2 plates and 20 screws in it so my advice is probably worth shit.

Cheers

Last edited:

james1

Likes Dirt
So you'd say the scalp purely because of geo? And the slacker angles would make it feel more stable? But does it make it feel sluggish at all at low speeds? Like what's the negative of slack? Sorry about my ignorance just trying to figure it out haha
Cheers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So you'd say the scalp purely because of geo? And the slacker angles would make it feel more stable? But does it make it feel sluggish at all at low speeds? Like what's the negative of slack? Sorry about my ignorance just trying to figure it out haha
Cheers
Negatives of slack...makes the bike less crisp on corners and up/down jumps etc.

T-Rex

Template denier
Cheers
You've got it.

If you are riding tracks with a lot of tight low speed corners, and/or not very steep overall ie most east coast tracks, you might find a slacker head angle a disadvantage. If you are short this can be further compounded by not being able to weight the front tyre as easily in corners.

When my son (he's about 5'7") was racing seriously the only track we would run 63 degrees was Bright, everywhere else we ran 65 degrees.

james1

Likes Dirt
You've got it.

If you are riding tracks with a lot of tight low speed corners, and/or not very steep overall ie most east coast tracks, you might find a slacker head angle a disadvantage. If you are short this can be further compounded by not being able to weight the front tyre as easily in corners.

When my son (he's about 5'7") was racing seriously the only track we would run 63 degrees was Bright, everywhere else we ran 65 degrees.
So say stromlo, Wollongong, theadbo tracks (not sure if you know them) would you say 63 or 65 and would putting a angle headset in change it enough to be noticeable or does the rest of the frame have different geometry?
Cheers

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
So say stromlo, Wollongong, theadbo tracks (not sure if you know them) would you say 63 or 65 and would putting a angle headset in change it enough to be noticeable or does the rest of the frame have different geometry?
Cheers
AFAIK, 2012+ Glorys come with an Angleset giving you option of choosing between a 65.5 and 64 degree head angle. Lots of Glorys going pretty cheap, ignore the haters, great bike for the $.

james1

Likes Dirt
AFAIK, 2012+ Glorys come with an Angleset giving you option of choosing between a 65.5 and 64 degree head angle. Lots of Glorys going pretty cheap, ignore the haters, great bike for the $.
I was actually going to go for the nuke. Doing my head in trying to decide hahah

T-Rex

Template denier
Cheers
Yep, know Stromlo and Thredbo intimately, they are not steep tracks and we would definately run 65 degrees on them. I've ridden most Gong tracks except Greenvalleys, there are some steep sections, but I wouldn't bother changing headsets for a training/ social ride.