Gloworm G2.0 lights

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Gloworm have a "second generation" family of lights out that use USB-C batteries and connections on the light:

I'd thought I'd lash out on an X2 Lightset (2000 Lumens 10Ah battery / not the Adventure 5Ah battery) when Pushys were doing their latest % discount sale, for a few reasons:

The light head has bluetooth, and you can run the Gloworm Link app on your phone to program the light levels available - from 1-100% in 1% increments, and choosing how many levels you want. I really like the idea of having a 1% level that would take hundreds of hours to drain the battery but is bright enough for, say, cooking at a camp.

It also comes with a 2-button remote that links with BT. Seems like only 1 button does anything though, same as the 1 button on the back of the light. Also you have to press a button to link it within 10 seconds each time you plug in the light.

They deliver a pile of different optics. I like the idea of being able to change the beam shape to my preference.

USB-C seems handy. If out on a long trip, the battery can be easily used as a powerbank to charge your phone or other devices. It's called 10Ah but not sure how many watt-hours that equates to.. Perhaps @ 7.4v, so = 74Wh? There's a fancy OLED display on the battery that shows either how many "bars" left or run time in hours:minutes, and sometimes some other messages.

I also thought that you could just use any other USB-C PD powerbanks to power the light, but when I plug the light into my Cygnett ChargeUp Pro 20000mAh the light will not change from the 1st level. On the other hand, if I plug the light into any USB-C PD charger (the 20W unit it ships with, an Apple 18W, an Apple 60W) then the light works just fine. Maybe other USB-C PD powerbanks will work perfectly, but I only own one. Anyone else tried the same?

I might have an issue with the supplied battery: the Gloworm app gives you lots of stats about the battery when it's connected to the light. One of them is design capacity - listed as 10000mAh, which is what the battery is advertised as. The app is showing well under 8000mAh for Full Charge capacity though. I'm hoping that increases a lot over the next few charges, but I've emailed Gloworm to ask their thoughts.

100% light output appears to draw about 15w. Gloworm claim 2000 Lumens and 3h50 battery life at this brightness.
TD/DR:
Nice lights, decent tech though quite pricey. Now does anyone else have these lights? Tell me what the app says about your battery capacity.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Gloworm have a "second generation" family of lights out that use USB-C batteries and connections on the light:

I'd thought I'd lash out on an X2 Lightset (2000 Lumens 10Ah battery / not the Adventure 5Ah battery) when Pushys were doing their latest % discount sale, for a few reasons:

The light head has bluetooth, and you can run the Gloworm Link app on your phone to program the light levels available - from 1-100% in 1% increments, and choosing how many levels you want. I really like the idea of having a 1% level that would take hundreds of hours to drain the battery but is bright enough for, say, cooking at a camp.

It also comes with a 2-button remote that links with BT. Seems like only 1 button does anything though, same as the 1 button on the back of the light. Also you have to press a button to link it within 10 seconds each time you plug in the light.

They deliver a pile of different optics. I like the idea of being able to change the beam shape to my preference.

USB-C seems handy. If out on a long trip, the battery can be easily used as a powerbank to charge your phone or other devices. It's called 10Ah but not sure how many watt-hours that equates to.. Perhaps @ 7.4v, so = 74Wh? There's a fancy OLED display on the battery that shows either how many "bars" left or run time in hours:minutes, and sometimes some other messages.

I also thought that you could just use any other USB-C PD powerbanks to power the light, but when I plug the light into my Cygnett ChargeUp Pro 20000mAh the light will not change from the 1st level. On the other hand, if I plug the light into any USB-C PD charger (the 20W unit it ships with, an Apple 18W, an Apple 60W) then the light works just fine. Maybe other USB-C PD powerbanks will work perfectly, but I only own one. Anyone else tried the same?

I might have an issue with the supplied battery: the Gloworm app gives you lots of stats about the battery when it's connected to the light. One of them is design capacity - listed as 10000mAh, which is what the battery is advertised as. The app is showing well under 8000mAh for Full Charge capacity though. I'm hoping that increases a lot over the next few charges, but I've emailed Gloworm to ask their thoughts.

100% light output appears to draw about 15w. Gloworm claim 2000 Lumens and 3h50 battery life at this brightness.
TD/DR:
Nice lights, decent tech though quite pricey. Now does anyone else have these lights? Tell me what the app says about your battery capacity.
Interesting post and question, but might be worth chucking it in here: