Goatfarm

failure

Squid
Whos been to the new State champs track?
Ive heard theres shuttles going next Sunday :D
Does anyont know anything about it?

jp funk

Likes Dirt
hey

the new state track is sick as its the same few berms up at the top before you go down the steep hill into a small drop and then a sik ski jump before the four berms which have been hightened by about two foot then theres the rock garden gnarly as ever (no suprises there) then instead of that small ski jump before the rock jump there is a sik berm/drop/jump sort of thing and rocks every where its a lot easier to carry speed into the rock jump now:)

then it is the same until you get to that small ski jump down about 30 seconds from the finish. this has somehow transformed into a 2 meter table top jump with about a three meter gap:D then its got some sik wups before you come down into the usual road gap which is a bit bigger and then its that corner after when there is a sik one and a half meter step down and the rest is the same after that.

shaping up to be one of the best state champs yet:)

dont know about the shuttles on sunday cos quite a few of us will be at three chilles for 4x

hope i helped

whay beter than the old coures something different

cheers

jordan

cvbass

Likes Dirt
I rode there a couple of times last week... The track it still very average for a state DH track...
When are they going to actually get someone to design a decent track?

deon

Likes Bikes
cybass.
I think you've got to look at the hill they're working with mate. in terms of this the track is absolutly mint. yeah they could and have held the state champs in better venues in terms of hills but in terms of the atmosphere, crowds, sponsors, amenities and the integration with the xc crew (mountain biking as a whole) then there is no better venue than the goatfarm.
It's a good race track which provides close racing, and a good fun track on top of that. State champs are gonna be bloody awesome!
get some!! haha. seeya there.
Deon.

elismith

Likes Dirt
I'm with cvbass, not convinced. All of the points you mentioned other than toilets can be gotten anywhere else. I agree the hill has it's limitations but I still reckon it could do with a major design rethink.

All this being said I am coming from more of a freeride perspective and don't race. As a Hub for W.A. D.H. and freeride it is lacking.

deon

Likes Bikes
toilets can be had anywhere.. the old portaloo.. yeoww! haha.

In terms of spectators you are far more likely to attract greater numbers for two main reasons; For one the proximity to Perth plays a massive part. Secondly the fact that both xc and dh have been brought togeather means the people who would have rocked up to watch an xc event may just have their eyes opened by our amazingly underrated and misunderstood sport of dowhill racing.

But why do spectators make a good state champs??

well for a start sponsors become far more interested because they're seeing returns, especially those catering for the event...... liitle creatures....little ceasers....
secondly they create the atmosphere.. what's a party without the people?? It may be a race but it's an event too and having the party/carnival atmosphere is what seperates both this race from the rest of the races in the year.

and as far as the track goes, i believe it's the best goatfarm has seen. jumps, berms, rocks, blowouts and very fast sections all in a semi decent length track. what more would you put in it without going all north shore dardy and ruining it??

my point is that sometimes the track needs to be considered along with the other aspects to esure the event as a whole goes off. Goatfarm does go off.. it did last year and it will again on the weekend... yeoow!

procrastination is over. back to some more uni work haha.

elismith

Likes Dirt
All good points. For an event those things are definately important, point taken.

I and most other crew would choose to ride somewhere else though, but I am willing to concede, unfortunately, that there are more considerations to be made than the riders preferences.

I do still think however that more could be done to enliven the course and i don't think that shore would necessarily ruin it. it would just have to be well constructed and designed.

deon

Likes Bikes
yeah that's it hey, i agree with your view on going for ride at the place, it just isnt all that exciting anymore unless your just going for a ride with good mates. It used to be when i was more of a begginner though... and in that respect i guess it is a good place to ride, for some... maybee most??

In terms of the state champs though i do believe it is the best place for them to be held just for the sake of a great event. and i don't know so much about structures, i guess that comes down to personal preference...haha.

protecon

Likes Dirt
Quoted straight from perthmtb;
State Championships - Goat farm

Sat, 06/10/2007 - 15:02 — Bryno The 2007 State Championships will be held over the 20-21st October at the Goat Farm, Greenmount. The event is shaping up to be even bigger and better than last year, which was a huge weekend.
VOLUNTEERS - We are asking for any parents, partners or anyone who is not planning on racing who can help out with the event to please contact us and let us know when you will be available to help. We cannot make this event happen without support as most of the organisers are racers themselves. Anyone interested please email dh@perthmtb.com
We have some pretty big name sponsors again this year, Carine/Cottesloe Cycles have come on board as the DH sponsors, while Cyclemania North Perth have come in as the XC sponsor for the second year running. Click on read more to see all details.
Little Creatures will be in attendance with a licenced area on site selling beer and their new cider, the area will be set up so both courses will be in view while you sip a cold beverage!! Food will also be available at the event thanks to the Lesmurdie Lions Club.
Once again we will be running the XC and DH races on the same day. Pracitice for both disciplines will be held on the Saturday, there will also be DH practice on Sunday morning. There will be shuttles for DH bikes, however competitors will have to walk the short hike to the top due to there not being a proper road to the top of the hill.
The Goat farm is located on Greenmount Rise in Greenmount, just off Great Eastern Hwy. There will be plenty of signage out on the main road, keep an eye out. Parking will be in the new top car park next to the newly constructed toilet and shelter facilities, which has been made possible through various Lotterieswest and DEC grants. A big thanks to Clinton Hull and Rod Annear from DEC for making these facilities become a reality for the park. THE LESMURDIE LIONS CLUB WILL BE ACTING AS PARKING MARSHALS AND WE ARE ASKING EVERYONE FOR A GOLD COIN DONATION FOR THEIR SERVICE ON THE DAY, AS THEY HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP IN MAKING THIS EVENT POSSIBLE.
DETAILS FOR THE EVENT ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Cost:
DH & XC U13 - free
DH U15 - $40
DH U17 & 19 - $50
DH all other classes - $60
XC U15, U17, U19 - $25
XC all other classes - $40
Due to the size of this event we are strongly urging everyone to pre rego. Registration is up for both XC and DH under the race entry link on the toolbar, simply follow the prompts to enter with your credit card, otherwise print out a form and post it in to our PO BOX with a cheque or money order which can be obtained from any Aust Post outlet for $3. There will be late rego available on the Saturday, however this WILL ATTRACT A $20 LATE FEE. Please note that the fees for the state champs are different to normal rounds, as above, so send in the correct money. This must be done and recieved by friday 19/10/07. please do not leave this until the last minute.
As usual you will have to produce your MTBA card or receipt to pick up your plate, or buy a day licence for $15. Anyone that does not have a membership can download a day licence from the race entry toolbar and post it in with their registration. please note THERE WILL BE NO REGO AVAILABLE ON SUNDAY. We are using one off plates for this event so every competitor will need to come to the rego tent prior to practicing, plates used during the state/club series will not be valid. The XC riders will be able to collect your number plate if you have pre-entered on the Sunday before 7.30am, but we would prefer this was done on Saturday.
PRACTICE, REGO AND RACING
Saturday 20th
Late rego and plate pickup: 10:00 - 4:00
DH & XC Practice 10:00 - 4:00
Sunday 21st
DH & XC plate pickup 7:00 - 10:00
XC Racing:
U13 - 8:00
Seniors - 8:30
Elite - 10:00
All XC racing should be wrapped up around 12:00
DH Practice: 8:00 - 10:00
Racing
1st wave: 10:30
2nd Wave: 12:00
Final top 30: 1:30
Presentations will commence around 2:00
We hope to see everyone there for what will surely be the biggest MTB race that WA has ever seen. Any further queries can be directed to the forums and we will endeavour to answer them as quickly as possible
Maybe I'll see you there! (at the little creatures tent)

elismith

Likes Dirt
The States today were great fun, there was some great riding and while I wasn't riding the new track was a big improvement on previous ones (according to most people I spoke to).

protecon

Likes Dirt
Yeah awesome day for it - super fast times too (think a 1:34 was hit?)
Did a couple of runs down the hill and then decided it was beer'o'clock.