Going clipless

brados20

Likes Dirt
After a lot of peer pressure from my mates I decided to have a go at clipless pedals.
I've been riding flats my whole riding life which is around 8 or so years. I rode flats for xc to downhill.
I never really had a problem keeping up or feet bouncing off the pedals or anything like that but I guess after that long it all was pretty natural for me.
I started doing a few enduro races this year and even got comments from randoms about riding flats and being quicker on clipless so I thought I'd bite the bullet and see what the fuss was about.
I've only had about 4 rides so far clipless and am in two minds about it. I feel like I have to change my riding style completely and have slowed down considerably! Not exactly what I was wanting to achieve.
Just wondering if anyone else had trouble adapting to clipless or how long it took before you got used to it. How many of you made the switch and got quicker or did you end up going back to flats.
I really want to like them but I guess I prob need to give it more time. Don't know how long my pride can keep taking a beating though when my mates keep beating me down the trails!

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you feel uncomfortable with them going DH, don't use them. I use both but only clips on the xc/trial bike, I don't feel right being clipped in at very high speeds and in the air. It might be worth a shot using them on a spare bike when you ride by yourself so that you can get a good feel for them. Try a few different brands of clips, some may suit you better than others.

treble

Likes Dirt
If you liked riding flats and never had any issues with pedal slip, why change?

I ride clipless for everything, but thats because I prefer it. I like having my feet locked it so they don't move around. But thats just my personal preference.

I don't really buy into it being faster, its just a perception thing. I might feel its faster because I don't worry about my feet and ride harder as a result. Just ride with the pedals you like better

Ideate

got comments from randoms about riding flats and being quicker on clipless
They probably can't ride flats, that's why. I take it for granted but a lot of people simply can't ride flats because they don't understand the physics involved with hoping, jumping and weight distribution blah blah.

Don't know how long my pride can keep taking a beating though when my mates keep beating me down the trails!
Is that with flats or with clipies? I'd say stay with what's comfortable unless you're trying to beat your strava times and thinking about every single avenue for a gain.

Doesn't Sam Hill win Enduro races on flats? If something ain't broke, don't fix it.

brados20

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'll give it a bit more of a go but I'll change back if I'm not happy. I guess I was just interested to see what the fuss was about. im happy to give anything a shot if it improves my riding! I've bought the pedals and shoes now so it would be a shame to just toss em in the corner haha.

brados20

Likes Dirt
They probably can't ride flats, that's why. I take it for granted but a lot of people simply can't ride flats because they don't understand the physics involved with hoping, jumping and weight distribution blah blah.

Is that with flats or with clipies? I'd say stay with what's comfortable unless you're trying to beat your strava times and thinking about every single avenue for a gain.

Doesn't Sam Hill win Enduro races on flats? If something ain't broke, don't fix it.
Na we are all pretty even when I'm riding flats. It's since I put on the new pedals I've slowed down.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Na we are all pretty even when I'm riding flats. It's since I put on the new pedals I've slowed down.
There's your answer, shove the clipless pedals back into the parts bin and ride your flats... & 5.10 sticky rubber shoes if you don't have them already.

Ride what you are comfortable with, not what you "should" ride with.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Swap them, then swap them back, then again, and again, forever

It's fun to ride both, I swap between Flats/SPDs all the time, you don't have to marry either option.

After riding one pedal for a while it's great to go for a fang on the other, it feels like a whole different bike

brados20

Likes Dirt
Swap them, then swap them back, then again, and again, forever

It's fun to ride both, I swap between Flats/SPDs all the time, you don't have to marry either option.

After riding one pedal for a while it's great to go for a fang on the other, it feels like a whole different bike
Your not wrong there! That's probably what is throwing me off. It feels completely different to when I'm riding flats. I almost feel stiff because my feet are locked into one position. It has been fun though mixing it up.

rtd

Likes Dirt
Just give them a bit of time. Slowly you'll notice you're not thinking about what pedals you've got and you'll be able to clip in and out easily. It's all just practice.

Rich

Matt_V your artist's rendition is terrific !!!!

I thought I was supposed to ride clipless, then I said fuck it, and went back to enjoying my rides.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
I used to ride flats, then spent years clipped in and in the last year or so gone back to flats and love it, good pedals and 5/10's and I'm as fast as being clipped and it just feels more natural, let your riding do the talking if mates are giving you stick..

Ride to Live charity ride
http://tinyurl.com/k5luds7

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Only thing I'd add is 4 rides still makes you a novice at using them, it takes a looong time to get competent with clipless, depends if your willing to slow down for a bit.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've just done the same, curiosity got me trying clips for the 2nd time in about 15 years of riding, went back to flats and 5.10's. The group of blokes I ride with are mostly clipped and I smash them on the climbs and over distance, they are quicker than me on the way down. Really, clipping in may give you small advantage but only if 1. You are comfortable using them and 2. You are racing at the truly elite level. Otherwise, go with what you prefer.

brados20

Likes Dirt
I've just done the same, curiosity got me trying clips for the 2nd time in about 15 years of riding, went back to flats and 5.10's. The group of blokes I ride with are mostly clipped and I smash them on the climbs and over distance, they are quicker than me on the way down. Really, clipping in may give you small advantage but only if 1. You are comfortable using them and 2. You are racing at the truly elite level. Otherwise, go with what you prefer.
Yeah see I don't have a problem climbing technical hills with flats. If anything i push myself harder than I do on clips. With clipless I tend to slow down sooner and unclip in fear of coming to a sudden halt. There are a few trails around here I have not ridden yet with the clipless and I'm kinda fearing them because of the steep narrow technical climbs with steep drops off the side!
I'll give em a few more goes and if I can't get my head around them I'll throw em in the corner and put my shiny flat pedals back on

Minlak

custom titis
1) Just fucking ride!!!!!

2) Clipless have 2 phases
a) Holy fuck I am going to die I cant unclip
3 months later
b) Wheee clipless is so easy THUD!!! damn plain old forgot to unclip.......

You all know its true....
I personally still have the chain ring scar and dented bonnet from when I got home and just forgot to unclip.
The missus managed the holy grail and pulled up at the lights at a busy intersection and forgot to unclip in front of all the cars.....

jarrod839

Banned
I think its good at least u are giving riding with clips a go so at least u can see if there are any advantages or disadvantages for you as every one is different.

I tried them for DH as was tired of my feet moving forwards during fast/rough sections and it solved that issue but changed my technique in other aspects i didnt like. So i went back to flats and found that decent pedals/shoes and better technique is just the same as riding clips.

And Ideate summed it up best if something is working for you and doesn't need fixing just stick to it. I learnt this lesson recently with tyre selection.