Going to Derby, Tassie

binner

Hath shat hymself
derby nightlife

Bus to Berms will also pick up at the airport and provide shuttles.
We stayed at Blue Derby Base which is right in Derby. Huge house and was about $160 a night. www.bluederbybase.com
Flickity Sticks along will keep you amused for a day and a bit. Then there is Atlas, Blue Tier and everything in between. I really liked most of Dam Busters.

Don't go to either pubs in town, they hate mountain bikers. The Hub pizza place is a great place to eat.

If/when I go again I will do a heap more riding before I leave so fitness doesn't hold me back.
if you want a bike friendly pub go say Hi to Di at the Winnaleah pub , she is awesome and the locals don't mind mountain bikers either .....

http://www.winnaleahhotel.com.au

binner

Hath shat hymself
do it

I've heard this too
its like a 7 min drive to Derby trail head.... I think better than staying in Derby..... been twice and stayed with Di, trying to get there in early Dec again...
they do real home cooked dinners, make sure you play darts and pool with the local ladies :whistle:

both pubs in Derby are a bit like going back in time. One opens whenever she wants and never has a keg tapped so you have to buy bottles and the other is just a bit weird like.....

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Bus to Berms will also pick up at the airport and provide shuttles.
We stayed at Blue Derby Base which is right in Derby. Huge house and was about $160 a night. www.bluederbybase.com
Flickity Sticks along will keep you amused for a day and a bit. Then there is Atlas, Blue Tier and everything in between. I really liked most of Dam Busters.

Don't go to either pubs in town, they hate mountain bikers. The Hub pizza place is a great place to eat.

If/when I go again I will do a heap more riding before I leave so fitness doesn't hold me back.
Cheers. We've booked in our shuttles through Bus2Berms. Just waiting on some lads to pull their fingers out so we can book accommodation.

Pity about the pubs, I like beer. Sounds like the publicans don't mind missing out on the $$ mtb'ers are bringing.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers. We've booked in our shuttles through Bus2Berms. Just waiting on some lads to pull their fingers out so we can book accommodation.

Pity about the pubs, I like beer. Sounds like the publicans don't mind missing out on the $$ mtb'ers are bringing.
It's a funny dynamic there with some people hating on those that have made Derby into the MTB destination that it is.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

binner

Hath shat hymself
hahhhh

Here's the ABC radio story on Derby http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/saving-derby/8639326

The Derby pub owner complain that you can't do much more than have a warm pub and a friendly smile need to look at what the Welborough and Winnaleah pubs are doing. It's not rocket science!
wow,,, what an interview.... maybe things have changes but the 2 times I have been down there the top pub could at least open up at a normal pub hour and not like 1,2 pm, then it could maybe have a few kegs tapped , it was literally a pub with no beer last trip... maybe some snacks would be good like chips, peanuts etc..you know typical pub snacks, then maybe a good clean up and not smell like I've walked into a rubbish bin, maybe some light would be good too.
The piece about the lower pub owners feelings towards whats happening to their sleepy lil town is exactly the feeling we got when we walked in there and bought a round of beers. FFS we bought rounds were cheerful and polite tried to ask for food while drinking in there but we could feel coldness towards us because we rode MTB's.

Listening to that interview is just another good reason to stay in Winnaleah with Di and the locals !!!! I know where I'm staying in Dec when down there.

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Been several times and been to both pubs. The Dorset (bottom pub) at least has the values of being an old building, having a fireplace and kegs, although unfortunately only of the commercial variety and the public bar is clearly suited to vampires given the lack of natural light. The publican seems to enjoy consuming his own product and telling stories which is fine by me, and although was a little frosty at first warmed up after a chat and yap about who knows who in Tassie (a common starting point for locals). The Federal (top pub) is a waste of space. Awful decor (70s laminex for the most part), no kegs, no fire, no ambience. Talking to the publican there her main beef is the fact that the general store used to do burgers, the Dorset did pizza and now the new pizza and cafes do a better job of both. To be honest that's not a hard job after having a Dorset pizza (warmed up McCain was my bet). Personally I think the Dorset has potential. Accommodation upstairs, good outdoor areas for summer weekend BBQs/ camping sites, could provide secure bike lockups etc. The Federal could spontaneously combust and I doubt anyone would notice.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Here's the ABC radio story on Derby http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/saving-derby/8639326

The Derby pub owner complain that you can't do much more than have a warm pub and a friendly smile need to look at what the Welborough and Winnaleah pubs are doing. It's not rocket science!
Had a listen to the abc radio piece.

The top and bottom pub owners sounded like they were too lazy to do anything with running a successful business. Also sounded like a generational issue. The older folks had no interest in the opportunities. The younger lady who owned a few businesses in the area was really positive about what mtb'ing had done to the area. Quite a contrasting view to the other business owners.

Last edited: