Going to Vietnam - Reading Suggestions?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Well kids,
last time I jetted of to Cambodia I asked you wise farkers for some reading suggestions and they were great, and I think the experiences I had when travelling there were affected by what I'd read.

This year, it's off to Vietnam I go. Travelling with the girlie this time, so it's a bit of a different experience. Nonetheless, I'd like to hear what you folks would recommend in terms of well, pre-reading.

I want to read a bit about the role of aussies in the war. I really a copy of Vietnam Inc as well, but we'll see. And maybe some more general historical and cultural things....

Now, if I could only decide what camera/film I want to take :(

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Well kids,
last time I jetted of to Cambodia I asked you wise farkers for some reading suggestions and they were great, and I think the experiences I had when travelling there were affected by what I'd read.

This year, it's off to Vietnam I go. Travelling with the girlie this time, so it's a bit of a different experience. Nonetheless, I'd like to hear what you folks would recommend in terms of well, pre-reading.

I want to read a bit about the role of aussies in the war. I really a copy of Vietnam Inc as well, but we'll see. And maybe some more general historical and cultural things....

Now, if I could only decide what camera/film I want to take :(
Just buy a time machine and go to Bali, 20 years ago. Vietnam is the new Bali for Bogans who think they are are too cool to go to Bali, now that Chapelle ( and the bombing) has ruined Bali for the rest of the screeching Bogans out there..
[video=youtube;9toD_R6t1pI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toD_R6t1pI[/video]

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Apparently it's changed heaps since I was there 9 years ago and it's certainly changed a shiteload since the '70's but books on the 'American' war are still a great read.

The best ones to look out for are:
'Dispatches' by Michael Herr - it's about the journalists covering the war.
'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason - memoirs of a Huey pilot
Anything by Tim Page - War photographer frequently mentioned in 'Dispatches' and allegedly the basis for Dennis Hopper's character in Apocalypse Now
'The things they carried' + 'If I die in a combat zone' by Tim 'o'Brian. The guys a pretty good author these days but was once a grunt in Vietnam. '...combat zone' is his memoirs and 'things they carried...' is a collection of short stories. Both are really good.
'The sorrow of war' Bao dinh. ANother war momoir but this time from a lad who fought for the NVA. It's a bit heavy going but still interesting to hear the other side of the story.

And whilst your there you might as well read:
The Quiet American by Graham Greene. It's set back in the fifties and concerns the end of French Rule there.
The Girl wih the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Has absolutely nothing to do with Vietnam but you'll never be able to escape it. It's on the bookshelf of every guest house in SE Asia these days so you might as well give it a bash...

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the (mostly) constructive comments. I'm off to Borders right now to have a browse - I'll keep an eye out for those title POSM.