Gold Labels for freeride

MATT_82

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a quick question,

Would 100mm gold labels be ok for downhill, both racing and riding,
ie. would they break or something

Im running a ss hardtail and am using dirt jam comps atm, i rode some pike 409's on a mates bike for a while today and didnt really like them to much, so hence going for a shorter travel fork.

I would be dirtjumping and street riding probably 70% of the time, so im thinking something shorter travel would be better in general.

I was thinking argyles as another option but im open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited:

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty sure you can only get GL in 80 or 100 mm. I'd be looking at something from Fox.

MATT_82

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorry, got a bit mixed up with travel issues, and im on a bit of a tightish budget so fox are more than likely going to be a bit expensive

chelsea_fan7

Likes Dirt
why not get some sherman firelfys or flicks...they have adjustable travel so you can set it at 90mm for the firefly's or 110mm for the flicks and when you do decicde to do some downhill just pump them up to the larger travel setting.
im pretty sure gold labels are like the new version of sherman jumpers and sherman jumpers i imagine would feel practically the same as sherman firefly's and flick's the only difference might be some internal stuff...

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

djrider

Likes Dirt
they would be fine for what you want to do, cam mcaul uses them on his slopestyle bike and he does some pretty big stuff on them:)

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what didnt you like about the pikes matt. because if you on a budget well there probally your best bet for being able to do street, dj and dh. run them at 100mm and then put them up for dh. sounds the good to me. but what didnt you like?

Balfa_Oli

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah they should be fine.
would you have a look at some argyles??
they'd be nice for street/dj as well as a bit of dh.
oli

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
they would be fine for what you want to do, cam mcaul uses them on his slopestyle bike and he does some pretty big stuff on them:)
umm no he doesnt. he uses custom modded travis's with gold label lowers on his bike.

MATT_82

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what didnt you like about the pikes matt. because if you on a budget well there probally your best bet for being able to do street, dj and dh. run them at 100mm and then put them up for dh. sounds the good to me. but what didnt you like?
I was riding dans jackal and it had 409's, maybe it was just his but they felt really soft and then turn it just a little and they were rock hard, probably just his but ill probably see what wills or jareds are like next time i see one of them.

Might see what the higher models feel like.

cam mc cauls are custom, saw something about them somewhere :confused:

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.

Matt