Goldcross Closing down

That guy

Likes Bikes
In a move which is a surprise to no one, Goldcross stores are closing down. Most of their stock is 50% reduced to try and get rid of it before their move into Amart. Bikes are 30% off but I'm sure they wouldn't say no to a deal. Still some pretty decent stuff left if your after parts and things.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
True...sort of.

From Super Retail Group's May trading update:

"The Group intends to continue to develop the Goldcross Cycles business as a store within a store concept in Amart Sports stores and has decided to close the stand-alone stores. To date,
five Goldcross Cycles stores have been converted into Amart Sports stores and Goldcross Cycles store in store concepts have been introduced into seven existing Amart Sports stores. A
further five Goldcross Cycles stores have or will be converted to other Group formats. One Goldcross Cycles store has closed to date and the Group intends to close the remaining eight
stores transferring the cycle business to adjacent Amart Sports stores. The Group expects to recognise associated restructuring costs of approximately $10 million as discontinued business
costs in the 2013 Financial Year."

They are keeping the Goldcross brand...someone has to compete with KMart and Anaconda after all!!

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting, i am sure there was a similar concept in Rebel Sport stores here in Vic years ago that died in the arse.
If this is the case, I can see Goldcross shutting a lot of stores in Vic as there isn't much in the way of A-Mart here.

That guy

Likes Bikes
True...sort of.

From Super Retail Group's May trading update:

"The Group intends to continue to develop the Goldcross Cycles business as a store within a store concept in Amart Sports stores and has decided to close the stand-alone stores. To date,
five Goldcross Cycles stores have been converted into Amart Sports stores and Goldcross Cycles store in store concepts have been introduced into seven existing Amart Sports stores. A
further five Goldcross Cycles stores have or will be converted to other Group formats. One Goldcross Cycles store has closed to date and the Group intends to close the remaining eight
stores transferring the cycle business to adjacent Amart Sports stores. The Group expects to recognise associated restructuring costs of approximately $10 million as discontinued business
costs in the 2013 Financial Year."

They are keeping the Goldcross brand...someone has to compete with KMart and Anaconda after all!!
Yep, this is the case. Probably should have clarified. They're packing up shop and starting over again with a different model.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Interesting, i am sure there was a similar concept in Rebel Sport stores here in Vic years ago that died in the arse.
If this is the case, I can see Goldcross shutting a lot of stores in Vic as there isn't much in the way of A-Mart here.
Yeah, I remember that.
I got some BBB Flat pedals and some lights at the Wolloingong store a few years back. They had a few fiteness style hybrids and some entry level hard tail MTBs. The guy in the store knew nothing about bikes though.
I can see why it died in the ass in Wollongong. Crappy bikes and crappy service. Not to say they were all like that though.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I know there is one in Swappers Crossing. Not much realestate in the store though, will most likly be an, order through us, business model. Couldn't even get a crank puller inn store.

antigee

Likes Bikes
they provided mechanical support for the CyclingVictoria Whittlesea Challenge at the weekend - hope with new format support continues or some other co steps up

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder if they will be re-hiring existing Goldcross staff in the A-mart shops??

This seems like a really bad move for cyclists, and does sound just like rebel Sport used to be when Iron Horse bikes took off.
In store workshop with basic parts and tools. Untrained non-cyclists running the place.

Give it 2 years and A-mart will be thinking of getting rid of goldcross as they have trouble selling bikes.

So the only chain bike shops left in Melbourne will be Bike superstore and Mac's bikes.
To top it off, other specialty shops are closing down all the time.
Soon enough there will be no choice against buying online. What have we done!?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I wonder if they will be re-hiring existing Goldcross staff in the A-mart shops??

This seems like a really bad move for cyclists, and does sound just like rebel Sport used to be when Iron Horse bikes took off.
In store workshop with basic parts and tools. Untrained non-cyclists running the place.

Give it 2 years and A-mart will be thinking of getting rid of goldcross as they have trouble selling bikes.

So the only chain bike shops left in Melbourne will be Bike superstore and Mac's bikes.
The bloke out at the Swappers store seemed relatively knowledgeable for a 12 year old. Just had bugger all stock to work with, just a few kids bikes and a selection of about 12000 pumps.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

silentbutdeadly

You live in Melbourne...that's a start to the problem :pound:

n8man

Cannon Fodder
Amart and rebel are owned/run by the the same group. Maybe this is why they're trying this model again.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I remember that.
I got some BBB Flat pedals and some lights at the Wolloingong store a few years back. They had a few fiteness style hybrids and some entry level hard tail MTBs. The guy in the store knew nothing about bikes though.
I can see why it died in the ass in Wollongong. Crappy bikes and crappy service. Not to say they were all like that though.
Yep I remember the gong rebel bike shop. The rebel in Miranda westfeilds had a smaller and even crappier version. Myer ( or Grace Bros as it was back then) tried haveing bikes sales and worksop service in there Sydney city store around the same time. The concept was for a department store to be a one stop shop for everything. It died pretty quick.

Nothing on the goldcross website about this?
Bought some MTB shorts online from them a few months back good price. They sent me a membership cards and everything!
Theres no gold cross store in NSW for me to use the membership card in.
I am not sure if it will work online or if they will still honor these types of things if it goes to Amart.
Its not a big deal for me as I dont live in vic but it worries me for what the future holds for the likes of pushys etc.

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
The bike shop that was part of rebel was called "Wheels in Motion". I used to work there back in 1995. I kept the shirt for cleaning my hands after working on the car. Goldcross Cycles will go the same way as Wheels in Motion. This business model does not work.

silentbutdeadly

The bike shop that was part of rebel was called "Wheels in Motion"....Goldcross Cycles will go the same way as Wheels in Motion. This business model does not work.
If it means that SRG can still sell the same (or more) volume of 'sports' product without the cost of maintaining separate Goldcross and AMart stores then they won't give a rats whether it works as a cycling store concept or not. It isn't about providing a service to cyclists...it's about selling more sporting goods (not just cycling stuff) at a lower cost per unit.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Amart and rebel are owned/run by the the same group. Maybe this is why they're trying this model again.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
This is true, they are all owned by Super Cheap Auto. Sports Amart is an amalgamation of rebel, goldcross and possibly Rays outdoors and BCF... Casuals are gone but the store managers and assisstant managers are being relocated. Rebel has already been selling the Goldcross Flight Brand for a bit now so yeah its not really surprising that they have decided to bring them all into one.

shanergv

Cannon Fodder
This is true, they are all owned by Super Cheap Auto. Sports Amart is an amalgamation of rebel, goldcross and possibly Rays outdoors and BCF... Casuals are gone but the store managers and assisstant managers are being relocated. Rebel has already been selling the Goldcross Flight Brand for a bit now so yeah its not really surprising that they have decided to bring them all into one.
I worked for goldcross for a year and a bit, I left. It was the worst company I have ever worked for. Working with people that don't know a wheel from a handle bar is not fun and when I pointed that out from a customer point of view to the managing director he went on with some dribble about being good at sales, I pointed out that the new store the were opening was a bad idea as there was 2 other stores in the same suburb and the last bike shop closed in another suburb with a race track,big skate park and dirt jumps would be a better idea I got told I don't know how to run a bike shop, so 12 years in the industry is not as good as super cheaps 2 years lol They are as bad if not worse for the cycling industry as ordering from overseas! :mad2:

wavike

Likes Dirt
It would seem 99 bikes are heading in the same direction. I popped in for a look at a new store opened up near me a couple of weeks ago. They had quite a few mid speck bikes and plenty entry. When I asked the teenage assistant about bike services she said - we have a mechanic come in a couple of morning a week. The real shop I use has no sales people, 4 mechanics who handle sales as well and owners wife who's there a bit and knows her stuff. I'll stick with paying a bit more and get great service / backup that comes with that.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
It would seem 99 bikes are heading in the same direction. I popped in for a look at a new store opened up near me a couple of weeks ago. They had quite a few mid speck bikes and plenty entry. When I asked the teenage assistant about bike services she said - we have a mechanic come in a couple of morning a week. The real shop I use has no sales people, 4 mechanics who handle sales as well and owners wife who's there a bit and knows her stuff. I'll stick with paying a bit more and get great service / backup that comes with that.
what store on the gold coast do you use? i've had no luck with the ones near me...

wavike

Likes Dirt
what store on the gold coast do you use? i've had no luck with the ones near me...
Just Ride Nerang, Mikes Bikes at Miami and Plam Beach Supercycles all have a good reputation on the coast. Giant guys at Southport and across from Harbour Town too.

Mark and crew at Just Ride seem to have the most MTB experience and are easy to talk to if you're not happy with something (but that's very rare for myself and others I know). They do service a lot of other brands than what they sell, location has a bit to do what that as well as good rep and professional attitude.
I haven't used any of the others for a while, but if the rain ever stops I might be tempted to try them for a new bike (26 or 650B) as I'm not keen on 29ers.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Mikes Bikes at Miami
Mikes bikes are rad, proper riders shop that one and was my LBS when I lived up on the Goldie.

I know a fellow years ago who got a flat just up the road from Mikes and didn't have any cash on him. They happily gave him a tube and told him to pop in and pay for it later. Nice.

Anyway, back to topic.