Good alternative to buller epic trail?

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Hi people,

Mates and i have planned a trip to Mt Buller epic trail on the May 2nd weekend but have found that the trails on Buller will be closed for the coming snow season. disappointed- yes, better planing - yes!

Wondering if anyone could suggest a comparable option? we wanted to camp as well so it's the whole weekend thing. i realise an alternative to the epic is hard as it's an unique 40 km trail in the mountains, so any suggestions will be good.

we're more interested in the DH/AM style trails than the fitness driven XC trails. but of course we'll happily climb in the granny to the top.

We ride Youies, red hill, alpine gravity events, oh and rode Warburton DH recently and loved it. wet but so much fun.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
base yourself at Howqua Gap, camp - there's even a hut there if not being used, perfect mate.

you don't need to be or start at Buller.

plenty of ST from Howqua Gap (epic crosses through there) you can go back to Buller via stonefly or go out to Mt Stirling, dirt roads and again some Single Track.

you can also do last part of epic from there (the good bit).

be prepared for cold weather and make sure you keep together and have maps, don't rely on phone as there's limited reception.

I rode from TBJ to Mt Sterling, my own epic ride, so much fun man.

just don't underestimate how cold it can get and how you will be pretty isolated out there if anything goes wrong so adapt to conditions.

Last edited:

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
And take a space blanket; if someone is injured, the amount of warmth a space blanket can generate is amazing, especially if they have to sit or lie stationary for multiple hours awaiting pickup/evacuation....

And they weigh next to nothing.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
but alas buller management has said (i called them) that all tracks including the whole epic will be closed from 27th april.

Sad. will need to look elsewhere.

any other suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spend a weekend down Apollo Bay. I did recently. Rode the trails at Forest, did "Red Carpet" a few times then a day doing shuttles at I-ride. Was a great weekend. We glammed it up and stayed in a flash apartment but I'm sure there are plenty of camping options down there. I'll be definitely going back for more of the same.

I did the Epic 4 times this season, twice the signposted way, once from TBJ and once with Stonefly descent(the better way), I rate the weekend down Apollo Bay just as good, probably better.

Last edited:
Mt Beauty. You could easily spend the weekend pedalling the AM trails and shuttling Big Hill.
+2 for a weekend in Beauty.

Likewise Bright. There's an sbsolute shit-tonne of rad riding to be done in Bright/up on Mystic. Beauty & Bright are only 30min from one another. Both are great towns with plenty of camping/good caravan park options that are central to both the townships & trails. Spend a couple of days riding in each of these towns if you can- some of the best trails in the country, be it AM, DH or XC. Mystic can also be shuttled with ease. Once you're done smashing yourself on the Bright trails a good way to end the day/spend a down afternoon is with a gentle cruise on the ST out to Wandiligong to the pub for an ale or 3- well worth it.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
oh Bright / mt beauty thats an awesome suggestion. we had been considering it, but to know people rate and recommend it means i'll put some serious research in to it.

thanks guys.

will let you know how i go.

Cheers dave