Good Knicks

infin8

Squid
Hi burners, looking for some advice on what is a good quality set of riding knicks for a few XC team races coming up.

Have some Lemar ones but not much of a selection at the local bike shop.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
First up, go for bib knicks, you won't look back.

I really like Sugoi Evolution and Pearl Izumi Attack, both of which are reasonably priced on Wiggle when they are available. Both are long in leg, have outstanding chamois and comfortable shoulders. I tried dhb and, candidly, was underwhelmed. Still, each to their own.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Copied from the other thread;
Assos Fi Mille S5
Nothing I have uses even comes close. Yes they are expensive, but if you ask me, everything else I have bought has been a waste of money. I have a couple of different torpedo 7 ones, some other expensive Italian branded ones and a couple of others in my collection. Some are ok for short rides but nothing touches the Assos for fit, comfort, quality and feel. What really amazes me about them is they never smell, even after a 6 or 12 hour race in hot weather they still smell fresh. That to me is hi-tech. The rest of my gear smells like road kill and the Assos smells like its just come out of the wash. Just amazing.
On any ride over 2 hours its all I'll wear. Can you tell I like them?

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
+1 to bibs. I use them on the roadie and they're just more comfy and don't dig in at all. You do need to fit the height and width though which can be trickier than just width on normal knicks.

My club kicks are capo I think and they're fantastic quality. No idea of the model though.

DHB are excellent value for money. The base level (Aeron) are ok, but the next level up (Aeron Race) are much better. Well worth the extra $20 or so. Haven't tried the Aeron Pro so I'm not sure of them.

Last edited:

infin8

Squid
Bibs

What are your thoughts on assos-t607-fimille-s5 would these be suitable for MTB.
There is also Assos T FI.Mille S5 Bib Shorts as well.

Is the difference just design and colours?

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm only gong to comment below on the ones I've owned three or more sets of:

I've been really happy with the Sugoi knicks I have (whatever the best ones are they make, I can't recall), and they also seem to have lasted the longest - though I have one pair that seems to be thinning out and coming very close to retirement before it develops a hole. Most of the Trailmix kit I have are Sugoi.

Ventou chamios tended to last about only a year before they bunched up - but I think the ones BikeNow used were only the cheap(ish) ones. I found them comfortable enough, but they just didn't last. A few pairs also wore through and started developing holes. I think I went through about six pairs of Ventou.

Santini chamois I found to be the most comfortable (again, the high-end ones), but they also don't last. Before too long they compressed and become much harder, and all three pairs I had had started delaminating and coming loose.

Castelli aren't bad, but I've not used their expensive sets, only a few cheaper pairs. Also, be warned, their sizes run small. Not as small as 2XU, but small. As in I'm probably a large small.

The other major brand I've had at least three pairs of are Champion Systems (newer Trailmix kit) - again with reasonable quality knicks (not the cheap ones), which so far I've been reasonably happy with - but haven't had them long enough to tell how they last over time.

The main brand I would not buy again would be 2XU - we used them for a run of club knicks once upon a time, and they were the most poorly fitting oddly shaped things ever.

If I had an unlimited budget and were doing custom kit, needing new kit, I'd go with Sugoi. You probably also noticed a pattern in my above comments: Don't buy cheap knicks.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What are your thoughts on assos-t607-fimille-s5 would these be suitable for MTB.
There is also Assos T FI.Mille S5 Bib Shorts as well.

Is the difference just design and colours?
The T607 ones are a thicker warmer material. These may be better for winter or cooler climates. I haven't used these ones yet, but am looking at getting some for winter road rides. I think they may be too warm for xc racing. But I would like to try them.
I have the FI.Mille S5 bibs and they are amazing. I uses them for everything but mostly mtb xc training and endurance races. I'm pretty sure I bought them in 2010 and they are just starting to show some wear on the inner thighs. I don't really take any special care of them as I just chuck them in the wash with all my other clothes. Your meant to wash them on delicate in their own bag with their own soap. But mine seem fine after years of abuse. I don't think the pad feels quite as cushy as it once did but the material still feels great and they still fit quite well.
Buying these Knicks has been the smartest money I have spent on cycling.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The T607 ones are a thicker warmer material. These may be better for winter or cooler climates. I haven't used these ones yet, but am looking at getting some for winter road rides. I think they may be too warm for xc racing. But I would like to try them.
I have the FI.Mille S5 bibs and they are amazing. I uses them for everything but mostly mtb xc training and endurance races. I'm pretty sure I bought them in 2010 and they are just starting to show some wear on the inner thighs. I don't really take any special care of them as I just chuck them in the wash with all my other clothes. Your meant to wash them on delicate in their own bag with their own soap. But mine seem fine after years of abuse. I don't think the pad feels quite as cushy as it once did but the material still feels great and they still fit quite well.
Buying these Knicks has been the smartest money I have spent on cycling.
Gee, I bought a pair of XL s a year ago and it was the worst $ 250 I ve spent on cycling - stupidly I bought white ones , and the inner me decided I didn't have the confidence to wear white nix - so still in packaging in my drawer lol

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Gee, I bought a pair of XL s a year ago and it was the worst $ 250 I ve spent on cycling - stupidly I bought white ones , and the inner me decided I didn't have the confidence to wear white nix - so still in packaging in my drawer lol
Ha ha. I'd want to be a pretty ripped medium before I wore white Knicks. I'm not. More of a stubby large.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
check out the ground effect range. I have their mesh ones that go under baggies and they are very comfortable. I expect their lycra range would be just as good (and I am planning to buy some soon)

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I use the Lab-Gear (now Eleven Velo) bib knicks. Love them so much I've actually bought three pair.

Super comfy, nice fit and come with nice little touches like small pockets in the front of the leg to hold gels for longer races and one on the lower back for a wallet/phone etc.

Highly recommended (by me :p)

http://www.eleven.cc/premium-cycling-bibs/

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
I use the Lab-Gear (now Eleven Velo) bib knicks. Love them so much I've actually bought three pair.

Super comfy, nice fit and come with nice little touches like small pockets in the front of the leg to hold gels for longer races and one on the lower back for a wallet/phone etc.

Highly recommended (by me :p)

http://www.eleven.cc/premium-cycling-bibs/
ill check them out...De Soto brand also have pockets in leg and they are awesome for gel wrappers...and sooooooo comfy....

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
check out the ground effect range. I have their mesh ones that go under baggies and they are very comfortable. I expect their lycra range would be just as good (and I am planning to buy some soon)
+1 for Ground Effect. I find their knicks more comfy than my Assos bibs, they're locally made (sorta, NZ) and the company puts money into trail building & advocacy both in Aust and NZ. And they last a long time.

frensham

Likes Dirt
+1 for Ground Effect. I find their knicks more comfy than my Assos bibs, they're locally made (sorta, NZ) and the company puts money into trail building & advocacy both in Aust and NZ. And they last a long time.
I have a pair of their Underdogs - very comfy mesh knicks but the pad is not that thick and I wouldn't do a major enduro in them. The pad design and thickness is essential for enduro rides. Ground Effect do, however, make a superb pair of lycra bib knicks called Ringleaders. Pricey though.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I have a pair of their Underdogs - very comfy mesh knicks but the pad is not that thick and I wouldn't do a major enduro in them. The pad design and thickness is essential for enduro rides. Ground Effect do, however, make a superb pair of lycra bib knicks called Ringleaders. Pricey though.
I'm talking about their Sputnick and Supersonic knicks, which are regular Lycra knicks not liners and I think same or similar pad thickness as my assos. I think they now have a higher end model with same pad as ringleader - will probably be my next pair.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ground Effect Exocets, plain black so no stylie points but super comfortable and the chamios is awesome.