Good lighting

keep on truckin

Cannon Fodder
Hello All,
I am looking for some good lights and have been looking at ay-up lights......does anyone have thoughts on these lights or something that is around the same price ($500) with similar battery life and output?

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
I have had a set for about 3 years now and they still work as well as they did brand new.
The burn time is much longer than claimed, they start to fade around those times but last for a lot longer.
Just got a new set for my wife and they are even brighter than mine and I think mine has plenty of light. The best part is having lights on both the bars and your head. You have light in front of the bike and where ever you are looking.
We ride at least 2 night rides a week rain, hail or shine and they have not missed a beat. Done a few 24hr races in a 4 person format and I don't have to worry about running around trying to charge batteries because they don't run out!
A couple or friends have the Nitelights and they have a yellowy light that while bright, doesn't seem to light the way as well.
In short, just buy the Ay Ups, they are more than worth it!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
K-lite.

More light. Better spread. Great service. Aussie made and great supporter of local MTB scene.

[video=youtube;heWuXeWU-_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heWuXeWU-_E[/video]

Last edited:

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
Ms1400

I just got a magishine 1400 for $140 from dealxtreme. Amsome light spread and power for the money, would be a good complement wih a helmet mounted ayup. It's supposed to be 1400 lumens but even at 1000 it would be a bargain. Comes with a "fuel gauge" too.

I have the nitelights (think they are similar to magishine) and for ~$200 they are really good. Had for about 5 months and they seem quite reliable, no issues with construction or the light ouput.

The guy I ride with has Ay-ups ($500 package). Combined they have better output as you can focus the helmet mounted set on the trail and have the bar mounted set providing background light. However, one a 1 vs 1 basis I prefer the nitelights (I do some solo night riding and my one nitelight is more than enough, I wouldn't use only one Ay-up).

A key difference is the mounting system, ay-ups are far better in terms of design and reliabilility. The nitelight helmet mounting is an o-ring + velcro strap system which can loosen and shake around on rocky descents making things difficult.

MikeyH

Squid
I've got the Ay-ups. Had them for a year and they get used every week. I've had no issues, and although some mates have brighter lights, they are always having battery issues whereas with the ay-ups I never have this problem. I think the value is in the battery with the ay-ups. I personally would sacrifice more lumens for longer burn time any day.

Go for Ay-Ups

I have AY-UPs and they have worked great for about 2 years. My husband does ultra-marathon running events with them as well and they always seem to be some of the brightest lights used in those events. Definitely agree with the battery life being excellent. Plus it is an Aussie company.

The hard transport case is worth the extra cash to keep everything together and transporting to events.

Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HID Pygmy Max 1000 lumens, 4hr burn time on high, 1 hr recharge, nice and light.

Locally made, cheaper than AY UPs, brighter as well.

Only 1 light though, I run it as helmet mount and is awesome for singletrack.

Jandrew

Squid
I have had Ay-ups for a couple of months now and I think they are fantastic. If it turns to dusk while out riding with mates, my mates will stick with me as they do not have lights and can see find with my Ay-Ups.

We worth the price IMO and supporting and Aussie company is a plus as well :D