Good places to live within 2 hours of Sydney?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have to put a word in for NE Vic .
Cheap ,heaps of bike riding,scenic ,skiing.
2 problems = it is miles to the beach + Jan /Feb are hot and dry.
Was recently in Tassie and if you dont mind the cold its a great place. Like everywhere else 40 years ago .

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
If only we had a high speed rail network that had a few regional stops between the capitals....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If only we had a high speed rail network that had a few regional stops between the capitals....
I admire optimism,.....but..........
If it is anything like NBN then it will get scaled back to 60km/h and be an all stops 'express' train.

I remember the last rail fiasco when the supremely stupid and short sighted government was thinking about no rail link to an airport they don't have yet.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/12/12/airport-given-green-light-no-rail-link

If it does actually go in before I reach the afterlife then I'm sure it will have a steeper ticket price like the domestic and international stations at Sydney airport. The sad thing is that almost anything will be cheaper than the extortion-esque parking at Sydney airport.

I still think pissing off Stirks neighbours is worth considering. Failing that, get 3 x Winnebagos and park them in the driveway with a big arsed tarpulin to act as fashionable shared 'pergola'. Plug into power and water and you are off to the races.

scblack

Leucocholic
The high speed train idea has been popping up every few years from various people for many decades. We just lack the population to make it feasible within decent costs.

stirk

Burner
I admire optimism,.....but..........
If it is anything like NBN then it will get scaled back to 60km/h and be an all stops 'express' train.

I remember the last rail fiasco when the supremely stupid and short sighted government was thinking about no rail link to an airport they don't have yet.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/12/12/airport-given-green-light-no-rail-link

If it does actually go in before I reach the afterlife then I'm sure it will have a steeper ticket price like the domestic and international stations at Sydney airport. The sad thing is that almost anything will be cheaper than the extortion-esque parking at Sydney airport.

I still think pissing off Stirks neighbours is worth considering. Failing that, get 3 x Winnebagos and park them in the driveway with a big arsed tarpulin to act as fashionable shared 'pergola'. Plug into power and water and you are off to the races.
Imagine living next to me, that's the last thing stickso wants.

The high speed train idea has been popping up every few years from various people for many decades. We just lack the population to make it feasible within decent costs.
Old tracks can't handle it either so an entirely new track would need to be laid, so many dollars.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
With an hour flight between Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne then why bother. Someone wiil eventually pop up saying the high speed train will hit a a kangaroo and derail it.

Although, the high speed trains I've been on in Asia are just cool.
Here is the view at 300kmh-ish coming into Tainan in Taiwan.

HRT-Tainan.jpg

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
We left Sydney for Canberra about eight months ago.

Like a lot of people, we tired of the traffic, the expense etc.. And the amount of time it takes to get anywhere is only going to get worse. We spent more weekends around the house than we should have because of the organisation required to do something fun.

Going for an mtb ride was a half to full day commitment on the weekend in Sydney. In Canberra I can do a lap of Stromlo before work/at lunch. The snow is an easy day trip; no more booking a week at Thredbo six months in advance only to end up with slush.

The cycling infrastructure here is just unreal compared to Sydney (cycle paths literally everywhere), houses are (relatively) cheap and there's a lot of work. Practically zero traffic; 'peak hour' is comedy compared to Sydney. Lots of fun driving roads around the area if you're into cars.

We have absolutely no regrets. I think a lot of people get caught up in the idea that you need a big city career and property to set yourself up, and it really isn't the case. Whether it's Canberra, or Tassie, wherever, you'd be amazed how much more time you have to do the shit you love.

Don't buy into the "if you leave you won't be able to afford to return" bollocks and give it a crack.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Someone wiil eventually pop up saying the high speed train will hit a a kangaroo and derail it.
It's not the roos you have to worry about, you don't want a wombat ripping the axles out of something going 320kms.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Oh, you haven't see Stickso on a really rugged looking day :hand:
Sooo, that's been you loitering out the front of my place?

We left Sydney for Canberra about eight months ago.

Like a lot of people, we tired of the traffic, the expense etc.. And the amount of time it takes to get anywhere is only going to get worse. We spent more weekends around the house than we should have because of the organisation required to do something fun.

Going for an mtb ride was a half to full day commitment on the weekend in Sydney. In Canberra I can do a lap of Stromlo before work/at lunch. The snow is an easy day trip; no more booking a week at Thredbo six months in advance only to end up with slush.

The cycling infrastructure here is just unreal compared to Sydney (cycle paths literally everywhere), houses are (relatively) cheap and there's a lot of work. Practically zero traffic; 'peak hour' is comedy compared to Sydney. Lots of fun driving roads around the area if you're into cars.

We have absolutely no regrets. I think a lot of people get caught up in the idea that you need a big city career and property to set yourself up, and it really isn't the case. Whether it's Canberra, or Tassie, wherever, you'd be amazed how much more time you have to do the shit you love.

Don't buy into the "if you leave you won't be able to afford to return" bollocks and give it a crack.
We're tending to stay home more often these days too. CBF dealing with weekend traffic.

One of the saving graces where we are now (for me) is having a decent ride from home and a better ride at Westleigh which is only a 20min ride away. Would have lost my sanity before now if it wasn't for that.

I've visited Canberra quite a bit in the past but not to ride yet - those crisp winter mornings take some getting used to.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, it's not for everyone (if you're into surfing for example). Gets very hot and pretty cold, but I like the seasons.

I guess my point isn't that Canberra is the answer, more that you've got the right idea; find the right place for you and you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
I did miss sydney, but after buying a 5 bedroom house on 5 acres of a well sloped land for under 400k- I don't anymore

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tassie has a ski field? They pack a lot in on a small island.
http://www.skibenlomond.com.au/

website is kind of useless. i was left wondering (among other things) what the lift prices are, annual snowfall, and what their trail map looks like. you know sloghtly important things when planning a snow holiday.

I did miss sydney, but after buying a 5 bedroom house on 5 acres of a well sloped land for under 400k- I don't anymore
that is a lot of grass to mow.