Good Places to Work??

STPWRX

Squid
Hey guys,

I am currently looking for a new job and dont really have much of any idea where would be good to work. I have applied to a few bike stores to work in the store or in the workshop, but none of them seem to have any availabilities. So does anyone else know a good place to work? I'm looking for something with a decent-ish pay (but if the job is awesome i dont mind so much), flexible hours during uni semesters, with possibility to work full time during breaks, and in general just a good place to work.

Any ideas? I live in the northern suburbs of Perth. I'm open to any suggestions.

Cheers

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
waiter
barista
kitchen hand

anything in hospitality. get your foot in the good at either a big hotel or a small restaurant and work up

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
waiter
barista
kitchen hand

anything in hospitality. get your foot in the good at either a big hotel or a small restaurant and work up
+1.

Ive worked in a few hospitality jobs now, and loved them. But be prepared to be really busy sometimes.

Get to talk to people, and you'll meet a few cool people as well.

I work in a bike shop as well, and its good, very different though.

STPWRX

Squid
Yeah I currently have a job in hospitality, I work in a bar. But the pay is crap, we are expected to do so much for what we get paid for. I could go get a job at Big W and do half the work and get paid another 3-4 bucks an hour. Plus the hours suck, I'd prefer something I can go work at all day, so at night I can sleep/study/catch up with friends.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I couldn't think of anything worse than working in hospitality. That said, I've never worked in the industry. My opinion is based on the fact that everytime I'm at a bar/restaurant I think that.

brindog

Likes Dirt
I also work in the hospitality industry, as I'm still at uni.
Its good for a while, and I started as a dishy, then kitchen hand, public area cleaning (windows, and floors etc... no dunnys), porter, and now waiter, all in the same resort.
But fark I'm over it, but hopefully I'll be only working there for another 2 years.
IMO pay is not the best and they do treat you like a slave, but thats easy, just dog out and go slower but still get the job done.
But yeah try it out.

yes joy, meet some pretty low people, and always work weekends

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I really don't enjoy hospitality. So much cleaning all the time. If you want flexible hours with option for full time, pick a big business like woolworths or myer. They have enough staff that hours can be made to suit most people and during holidays all the regular adults want time off for their kids so you can get more hours.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really don't enjoy hospitality. So much cleaning all the time. If you want flexible hours with option for full time, pick a big business like woolworths or myer. They have enough staff that hours can be made to suit most people and during holidays all the regular adults want time off for their kids so you can get more hours.
if you always at races and stuff and buy abit of stuff off bike shops but dont get them to fix it i think your more likely to get into the industry then if you take your bike to them to get a tube fixed and at the same time ask for a job.

i'v been in a bike shop nearly 4 years (doin an aprenticeship) and i love it! sure there have been some awefull customers, once this guy was threatening to kill me (he was drunk, had nothing to do with our shop just that he was pissed and cranky) had some really really bad times with depression n stuff caus everyone laughs at you when you tell them your a bike mechanic "hahahaha so whataya do? pump tyres up all day?" etc etc

but mostly good, because its a small business my boss is awesomely flexible with time off and the like, but then i have to run the shop when they go to races so its fair.

if you really love bikes then a job in the bike industry is something you will most likely love, caus you sure wont be in it for the money!

and you have to enjoy talking to people, be good at dispute resolution (can be learned) and sales.

personaly i hate it when i go to a bike shop n the people there dont give a shit, so if its going to be "just a job" to you then please dont even bother.

btw i think i am really drunk rght now so mayb most of that shouldnt be listned to

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm in Nannup where there isn't much choice in regards to employment and especially when I'm bound by school hours (hubby works away). Something I fell into was "domestic cleaning" last year when the youngest was a kindy only 2 half days and one full day a week.
Not really something I aspire to do long term but for now it fits the bill and fits the time / hours I have available. Basically anything between a couple of hours and 3hrs a house, generally I do one a day and some days I fit a couple in, most job are weekly and a few fortnightly.

If you don't mind cleaning then look up some motels etc, they're probably always looking for people and generally you work like 4hrs a day in the mornings, it's hard work doing a heap of rooms before check in time, but the pay usually isn't bad.
Cleaning peoples homes like I do is probably a bit more easy going and it's generally done when nobody's home, but not always. And you can pretty much choose the hours that best suit you (generally when the house owners are working) and it can be very flexible. As long as you're trustworthy and reliable and do a decent job. However I found most of my work by word of mouth after having put an ad up and starting on the first one.

I've done kitchen hand work before as well as a regular 9-5 job, it was ok but the late night finishes can suck.

If you weren't at Uni I'd say definitely look up work in the mining industry...I earn like $20/hr and at the current rate around $200 odd/wk. If I took a cleaning job at the mines I'd probably clear something like $1700 a fortnight (I think it's 9days on and 5days off roster) but it's 12hr shifts. However if I went back to the mines I'd much rather do a Pit Technician job or a Store Person or something. Even somewhere like Perth I'd have a look at stores person jobs, it's realatively interesting and you'd probably need a forklift licence, I'm sure it would be a little fun unloading and loading up trucks, checking that all the stuff is there etc etc.

The thing that is mostly against you is that you're looking for "flexibility" I think. I'm sort of in the same shoes, looking at what sort of work I might be able to do in the future but with regards to having to be home for the kids. I'm sure something will turn up though. You know I've even considered volunteering to do like work experience at a semi local bike shop to just see what it's like. Mabye that's an approach you could consider, work experience during your time off Uni and if they like you it could mean a foot in the door.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
If you want to work when everyone else isn't, choose hospitality.

Otherwise, supermarkets and stuff- good pay, flexibility and awesome job security. I miss working at Coles.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
anyone who can't handle hospitality is a pussy.

been in the industry for about 4 years all up and 2 years solidly. love it. work hard and party harder. sure finishing work at 2am sucks sometimes but there are some awesome people around at that hour.

if you don't like late hours, get a job as a barista. if you want middle of the day hours work in a cafe, nighttime work in a restaurant and night hours then go a hotel or a bar.

and if you're earning less at a bar than you would at big W then you need to find a new job cos you're getting f*cked. at a good restaurant you should be earning nothing less than $30p/h if you have experience

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Hospitality is the most stupidly mindless job. Did it for a year and a half, never again.

Been at my LBS for two years now, havent looked back. Wicked pay, cheap bike bits, supplier hookups, guys to ride and drink with.

tim2

Likes Bikes
jobs

office furniture instalations, after hours work, can be good pay, occasional travel.

STPWRX

Squid
mmm yeah I've been in hospitality for nearly a year now and I've decided it sucks, I'd much rather be working in the LBS. I'm riding my bike every hour I'm not at uni/working/sleeping, so it makes sence. I'd probably almost work at a bike shop for free.

PS if there are any bike shop managers reading this, I would prefer to be paid :)