Good trails around Sydney for a beginner to progress on?

sbm

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

I went for my first mountain bike ride a few months ago and got hooked. I've mostly been riding the Loftus single track (the zigzag one and Blair Witch), and also riding Manly Dam.

Honestly finding trail information is pretty hard. NobMob has a beginner's guide, with 2 out-and-back fire trails recommended, which already seems pretty boring. On the other hand I accidentally ended up on "Bobcats" at Loftus by accident while exploring/being lost and had to walk most of it, which kind of ruined the flow of that morning's ride.

Any suggestions for other trails I can try that will be challenging but not too suicidal? Should I be cleaning all the blue lines at Manly Dam before trying Gahnia?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I went for my first mountain bike ride a few months ago and got hooked. I've mostly been riding the Loftus single track (the zigzag one and Blair Witch), and also riding Manly Dam.

Honestly finding trail information is pretty hard. NobMob has a beginner's guide, with 2 out-and-back fire trails recommended, which already seems pretty boring. On the other hand I accidentally ended up on "Bobcats" at Loftus by accident while exploring/being lost and had to walk most of it, which kind of ruined the flow of that morning's ride.

Any suggestions for other trails I can try that will be challenging but not too suicidal? Should I be cleaning all the blue lines at Manly Dam before trying Gahnia?
Gahnia and Serrata are probably on the difficult end of the spectrum, a lot harder than the stuff at Manly Dam.
Hornsby is good when it's reopened in october.
H20 in Westleigh is good although I'm not sure on the legality of that trail

Drive north you can try Ourimbah which is excellent, further up you have Awaba.
or you can drive 3 hrs and spend a weekend in Canberra, endless options there.
Wingello (about 2hrs drive) is also good

sbm

Likes Bikes
Gahnia and Serrata are probably on the difficult end of the spectrum, a lot harder than the stuff at Manly Dam.
Hornsby is good when it's reopened in october.
H20 in Westleigh is good although I'm not sure on the legality of that trail

Drive north you can try Ourimbah which is excellent, further up you have Awaba.
or you can drive 3 hrs and spend a weekend in Canberra, endless options there.
Wingello (about 2hrs drive) is also good
Thanks for the reply. Some other mates have recommended H2O and Ourimbah as well. I'm keen to do a road trip further away, but it's not really on the cards for another couple months.

I got the Trailforks app which I like. Pretty keen to check out Menai, along with RNP its a bit closer from home and definitely closer to work.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reply. Some other mates have recommended H2O and Ourimbah as well. I'm keen to do a road trip further away, but it's not really on the cards for another couple months.

I got the Trailforks app which I like. Pretty keen to check out Menai, along with RNP its a bit closer from home and definitely closer to work.
Menai is great but if you walked most of "bobcats" I'd give it a miss until your skills improve as it's at least as technical as that trail. H20 is great as it has easy loops that even my 10 year old daughter can ride but also has some fun technical sections to improve your skills. Ourimbah & Awaba are both fun & fairly easy xc trails with Ourimbah having a few more tech sections. Wylde is closer to you, is an easy trail for beginners to ride and although it has no difficult features it's a good trail to practice your pumping, jumping & cornering skills. The descents are heaps of fun when ridden fast.

sbm

Likes Bikes
Menai is great but if you walked most of "bobcats" I'd give it a miss until your skills improve as it's at least as technical as that trail. H20 is great as it has easy loops that even my 10 year old daughter can ride but also has some fun technical sections to improve your skills. Ourimbah & Awaba are both fun & fairly easy xc trails with Ourimbah having a few more tech sections. Wylde is closer to you, is an easy trail for beginners to ride and although it has no difficult features it's a good trail to practice your pumping, jumping & cornering skills. The descents are heaps of fun when ridden fast.
Cheers for the heads up! Looks like I'll stick with Loftus, MD and Wylde for a few more rides and get some more kms. And keep working on my flatland skills when I can't get to a trail, manuals bunny hops and endos.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Wylde ... The kids loops is a good first tester ... Blue loop if your beginner has some ticker.
my 10yo enjoyed himself

Knapsack in Glenbrook ... Start out on the fire trail ... Encourage them to walk bits they can't do ... No shame in walking hard bits and work up to them ... Bets bit about MTB IMO

Haydeno23

Cannon Fodder
Not related to anything but...

Hey guys, was just wondering if you could give me the location of "bobcats"? :noidea: I really want to try it but im not entirely sure about where it is. I know it is located in Loftus, but if somebody could tell me what trail/fireroads will take me to it that would be amazing. Also, i give a +1 to Wylde mtb park, its perfect for anyone.

Haydeno23

Cannon Fodder
Location of bobcats?

Basically what the title says, just wondering if anyone could tell me what trails or fireroads would take me to bobcats.:noidea:Any help would be greatly appreciated!