GoPro Q&A Thread

mxdame

Likes Dirt
Anybody have any tips on mounting with the chest mount?

I have the 'muvi' chest mount that the Jb Hi-fi bloke sold me when I bought my Gopro, preaching that it's exactly the same blah blah, but it's actually pretty shocking. The camera seems to be placed really close to the bars (flipped upside down) so you don't get any real view of the track or anything.

Here's one of my videos, for example: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/328674/

But I'd be aiming for something like this: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/326308/#top
or this:
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/291132/#top

Anyone have any tips? Tried flipping it right way up but I just film my top tube.
Try taking it back saying that it is films nothing like the gopro chest mount & that you just want to swap it for the proper 1, worst that can happen is they say no but I have had a lot of luck with JB over the years.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I've mounted it under the visor just above your eyes, but not used it yet, to see if that gives better POV. Doesn't seem to affect vision at all when wearing it.

mxdame

Likes Dirt
I've mounted it under the visor just above your eyes, but not used it yet, to see if that gives better POV. Doesn't seem to affect vision at all when wearing it.
Been going to try that mount, does it still fit when in housing or do you need the fame housing?

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Some good mounting options have been created by K-Edge, and have since found their way onto ebay with cheap imitations - which realistically probably work in exactly the same way at a much reduced cost.

The black one is for mounting off of the seat rails and works well - I use it:

The silver is a handlebar mount - never used it so I can't comment:

The red one is also a handlebar mount that I do use - its quiet good, but if you move your bars around a lot, it can become a bit hard to watch:

Personally, I find having something in the image that is stable and consistent helps the footage at viewing time (wont make you want to vomit). For instance, a helmet mount on the side of the helmet so you see the helmet always in the image, or with the k-edge rear seat mount, the back wheel is always steady and constant. Makes a huge difference.

For comparisons sake, and to give you an idea, here is a video I shot using the the GoPro chest mount, K-Edge rear seat mount and the k-edge handlebar mount (the read one in the image above).

[video=youtube_share;DmBFyc_lxSc]http://youtu.be/DmBFyc_lxSc[/video]

Last edited:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I have also used one of those sticky gopro mounts that comes with camera on my frame just at the bottom of the cranks, and here is a video of that - but I will confess it probably wasn't the smartest move as the rocks flying up from the front wheel damaged the lense cover/outer shell

[video=youtube_share;fNxr-pvIJPM]http://youtu.be/fNxr-pvIJPM[/video]

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I find having something in the image that is stable and consistent helps the footage at viewing time (wont make you want to vomit). For instance, a helmet mount on the side of the helmet so you see the helmet always in the image, or with the k-edge rear seat mount, the back wheel is always steady and constant. Makes a huge difference.
I really like the balance the rearward shot gives, but how do you mount the camera so your arse doesn't obscure the shot when you get off the back? I recently did some stuff from up in Cairns on the new WC tracks and everytime it got steep all you can see is my arse blocking the shot.

I had it mounted to the top of my seat post so I could still use the dropper. Can't see how a mount to rails of the seat would be any better? Thought I would need to get it lower on the seat post not higher??

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tchF1GiFc0[/video]

Last edited:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Having it on the seat itself means you can drop the seat post all the way without hitting the camera mount - so that's the benefit.

As for getting 'crotch cam' happening when ever you get off the seat, this mount sits about 10cms off of the seat, so if your not someone who goes down further then your fine. If you do go down further, maybe just run an extension mount to bring it lower, like the ones you get when you buy the gopro?

Or if that's still not long enough - maybe one of the extensions they use on helmets to record the riders face?

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
By the way outtacontrol - just watched your video - nice work, wish I had the balls to do that type of terrain.

As for your crotch popping into view to say hello, lets be honest - the rear view camera gets pretty boring if you don't have someone following you - so having crotchy say hi now and again adds an additional element to the footage which I think is worth keeping. It lets the viewer know what your doing on the bike.

Though having your shorts flapping away probably is not a great thing, which the k-edge may remove as it sits further back than a post mount.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Been checking out the gopro stuff and noticed everyone hating on the new hero3+ kit, it is pretty evident that far away focus is limited and the hero3 black is far supiror for everyday filming. whats the go here?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By the way outtacontrol - just watched your video - nice work, wish I had the balls to do that type of terrain.

As for your crotch popping into view to say hello, lets be honest - the rear view camera gets pretty boring if you don't have someone following you - so having crotchy say hi now and again adds an additional element to the footage which I think is worth keeping. It lets the viewer know what your doing on the bike.

Though having your shorts flapping away probably is not a great thing, which the k-edge may remove as it sits further back than a post mount.

Yeah I like the steeper stuff so tend to spend awhile off the back :) I have justified it to myself that although partly obscured, it at least gives an indication of the nature of the terrain. Might try my tld baggies which are a bit tighter

indica

Serial flasher
Yeah I like the steeper stuff so tend to spend awhile off the back :) I have justified it to myself that although partly obscured, it at least gives an indication of the nature of the terrain. Might try my tld baggies which are a bit tighter
Luckily you don't have big balls, they would have gotten in the way.