GPS watch for cycling

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
I'm actually in the middle of reviewing the Fenix 3 HR, and although the write up isn't complete, I'm absolutely chuffed to bits about it! A touch on the pricey side, but it's a damn awesome unit!

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
I'm actually in the middle of reviewing the Fenix 3 HR, and although the write up isn't complete, I'm absolutely chuffed to bits about it! A touch on the pricey side, but it's a damn awesome unit!
How do you find HR accuracy on the trails? I probably can't justify an upgrade to the Fenix 3 HR from my non-HR model but I'll be looking at future potential models.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm on my third suunto ambit, one original replaced under warranty for an ambitt 2, that was later replaced under warranty for the current ambit peak. Warranty is awesome, but having the same sticky/dead button issue over 3 models is a pain. Features/usability there's none better.

poita

Likes Dirt
Cheers! Hopefully future models will be less reliant on extreme strap tightness.
Optical HR sensors are reliant on zero outside light interference for accuracy, so the strap being firm is a given. Unless they do some crazy shaping to the back of the watch, but then they risk inaccuracies reading a possibly interrupted capillary flow?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers! Hopefully future models will be less reliant on extreme strap tightness.
They don't have to be very tight but the garmin straps are a consumable, they last ~1 year depending on use, from my experience. So you just have to replace the stap (same sensor) and they work fine.

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
The good thing about the Fenix 3 that I've found is that it's not picky with ANT+ devices. You can easily find an ANT+ Arm band heart rate strap to use, as opposed to a chest strap.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Another GPS/sportswatch worth checking out is Suunto's Traverse. Excellent battery life and accurate GPS, works very well with the company's Movescount software. Worth a look for sure (depending on your budget?)

i reckon strava on a phone is good enough, i tried buying a gps watch and it was well over $300 for the decent ones. if u got a good phone thats got good gps tracking, just put it in a sealed plastic bag and in ur backpack/ziped pocket. that just my personal opinion.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found, others experience may vary, but having a watch, I used it both on wrist and on bars with the mount (FR610), it was utterly crap to use real time. Didn't care that much on the mtb as I rare look at even my 1000, but even on the road bike, you can't see much. Worked perfectly fine, just you can't read the thing very well, or at all when on the move.

Weety

Cannon Fodder
I use a Fenix 3.

It's true it doesn't do much, if anything, a phone doesn't do but it saves phone battery. A dead phone is a huge PITA for me.

I like the watches better than a bike computer because it is not going to fall off, no matter what. I don't use it for navigating that often but the fact you can hear and feel it vibrate if you go off the pre-programmed route is pretty handy.

The only dislike I have is the dirty big gauge on the bezel from hitting a rock during a crash.