Gps

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hey There,

I am thinking of buying a GPS. They have lots of really cool features and can help you find your way home if you get lost in the bush :eek:

My biggest concern is that the GPS may get dislodged when descending a hill over rocky terrain at speed. Has anyone had this problem? How have you found using a GPS?

This is the model I am looking at:

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_edge205.htm

John U

MTB Precision
it looks pretty good. i am guessing it will be reasonably safe mounted on your stem.

i have been using a garmin foretrex 101 for a couple of years. this mounts on a bracket that attachs to your bars, and as it can be worn on your wrist as well, the wrist strap also wraps around the bars. it is solid as a rock. it was about $220 2 years ago so it might be cheaper than the gps your looking at. i have run out of memory space and haven't worked out how to download data which is a pain in the arse. apart from that it is all good. a must if you have to go riding on your own.

Cluedifier

Likes Bikes
Just keep it in ur bag and pull it out if u get lost. then you dont have to worry about mounting it or paying for a mount.

solo

Likes Dirt
i also use a gps when i ride it is a garmin etrex with which i have a handlebar mount although they are not really made to fit 31.mm bars mine fits on the side near the shifter indicator (who looks at that anyway)

solo

Likes Dirt
They are really good to use when you haven't been somewhere before or to map out you favourite trails and then keep them on your computer for future reference as i do. Places like the great dividing trail and castlemaines famous pine forest are on mine. Also when you use it go to backtrack and you can find the same way back if you re not sure.I bought mine from my brother in law although you can get heaps of good ones on ebay and also handlebar mounts are there too. hope this helps you

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hey Solo,

Yes that is actually what I want to use it for. It also keeps track of your lap times and can tell you if you are ahead of your lap record or not at check points.

Thanks for the tip about the handlebars, I will check this out.