Granite grind and what to expect.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
With the 2011 Granite grind coming up i thought i would ask a few questions.

I have never ridden in any sought of mtb event and was just wondering what the average speed people ride at at places such as Lake mountain? ( In race conditions that is)

I will be riding a hardtail and i weigh 80kg, what Psi's would you suggest?

And would anyone be down for a group ride there in the following weeks to come? I have never ridden there before and i dont have anyone to ride with, so a group would be awesome :)

And if anyone has ridden in the past Granite grind events some helpful tips and expectations would be much appreciated e.g. riding conditions, fitness needed etc

With the 2011 Granite grind coming up i thought i would ask a few questions.

I have never ridden in any sought of mtb event and was just wondering what the average speed people ride at at places such as Lake mountain? ( In race conditions that is)

I will be riding a hardtail and i weigh 80kg, what Psi's would you suggest?

And would anyone be down for a group ride there in the following weeks to come? I have never ridden there before and i dont have anyone to ride with, so a group would be awesome :)

And if anyone has ridden in the past Granite grind events some helpful tips and expectations would be much appreciated e.g. riding conditions, fitness needed etc
Hi

The Granite Grind race loop is approximately 9.5 km long and race times for the elite riders in last year’s event were around 35 to 40 minutes. Two sections of 4wd track have been bypassed and replaced with singletrack for 2011, so we expect times to increase by a bit. You can check out the Trail map and course profile on our website (www.lakemountainresort.com.au)

The course has a bit of everything for everyone. There’s a lot of granite out there – rollovers, drop-offs etc, and plenty of lumpy bumpy trail. Having said that, there’s plenty of smooth flowing trail to put a smile on your dial, particularly the descent from the summit to Snowy Hill car park (known as Surfs Up).

There’s a good mix of climbing and descending, and in general the trails are best suited to a XC race or Trail bike. There’s plenty of climbing, but the trail is designed in such a way that you don’t have to work too hard to gain the height. Due to the nature of the terrain, it’s mostly either up or down, so it keeps you on your toes.

If you contact the Murrindindi Cycle Club (murrindindicycleclub@gmail.com) there may be a group ride you can hook up with.

I hope this helps.

Happy trails!

The Lake Mountain crew.

akashra

Eats Squid
Sean, how are the conditions up there after last weekend? Are the trails likely to be in a ride-able condition this weekend?
With the cancellation of the Crazy 6, I'm looking to do some riding - I was thinking Beaconsfield, but I'd consider maybe checking out the trail up there if it's not going to do damage.

Sean, how are the conditions up there after last weekend? Are the trails likely to be in a ride-able condition this weekend?
With the cancellation of the Crazy 6, I'm looking to do some riding - I was thinking Beaconsfield, but I'd consider maybe checking out the trail up there if it's not going to do damage.
Hi

The trails have held up well considering the amount of rain we've had (130mm last weekend) I've just returned from a ride and aside from the usual bark and branches down it's all good. Just keep in mind that the BOM is talking rain tomorrow and Saturday so that could change things for the worse. If you would like the latest news feel free to call us tomorrow (Friday) 5957 7207 or Bistro over the weekend (5957 7208)

Happy trails!

The Lake Mountain crew.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reply SeanO_LKMTN :)

The 40 min benchmark will give me something to train towards now :)

Ill be contacting the local bike crew right away. Once again thanks a bunch mate.

But about the the Psi for my tyres, i'm assuming 40 outback and 35 ish up front?

but I'd consider maybe checking out the trail up there
I will go for a ride up there if you want mate :) I want to ride at Silvan too if anyone is down.

zoneding

Cannon Fodder
Granite grinding machine

Granite is an igneous rock and is formed from magma. Granitic magma has many potential origins but it must intrude other rocks. Most granite intrusions are emplaced at depth within the crust, usually greater than 1.5 kilometres and up to 50 km depth within thick continental crust. The origin of granite is contentious and has led to varied schemes of classification. Classification schemes are regional and include French, British, and American systems.
Zoneding Machine crushers and grinding mills have a very important role in granite mining. The jaw crusher is commonly used as the primary crusher and cone crusher is used as secondary crusher. The high pressure mill (Raymond mill) is often used as grinding machine to grind granite to final size. Zoneding Machine will supply vibrating feeder to feeder granite to crushers, vibrating screen to screen different size products and belt conveyor to transform granite from one place to another.

zoneding

Cannon Fodder
successful case

There is a success granite quarry case in Egypt. Zoneding Machine designs all the production line and supplies all the mining equipments for this quarry. Some of mining equipments are Zoneding machine's products and others are purchased from other manufacturers by Zoneding. Zoneding spare no efforts to perfect our pre-sale, in-sale and after-sale services and focus on every detail from the design stage until the final installation. At last, Zoneding let the customers obtain satisfaction from our crushers, grinding mills and services.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
they have to be the most awesome and relevant spam posts i have ever seen :eek:

i tip my hat to you sir, good work ;)

Geek

Squid
That's handy to know. Maybe I'll look at a Zoneding Machine when I decide to upgrade from my Kona Cinder Cone...

azz58

Squid
Hey Guys,

Im new to Mtbing and i have taken i liking to the enduro/xc style of riding. I have been browsing the net of late looking for a suitable first race/event to enter my self in and im thinking the Granite Grind looks the goods.

I too have no one to ride with and would be interested in a group ride before the event to familiarise my self with the surroundings. If anyone is interested let me know...

Thanks

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Hi azz.

I'm riding there tomorow, you should come along for sure.

I think ill be be there at about 9 am

Last edited:

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
So today me and azz58 hit up lake mountain.

That place has so many cobwebs hitting you in the face it's not funny :D Atleast we cleared out for the people to ride after us.

The track conditions are good, with only minimal puddles. They major annoyance was all the debree all over the track. a few logs had to be moved etc.

If it is wet up there on race day you better be ready for some slippery ass corners and rocks though lol.

Anyways it's a great place to ride and i recomend it to anyone to come next weekend and enter the race.

IIITAK3NIII

serowe

Likes Dirt
That place has so many cobwebs hitting you in the face it's not funny :D Atleast we cleared out for the people to ride after us.
And guaranteed they will all be back in place tomorrow morning :) - so the tip for race day is - don't be the first out on track in the morning!

So today me and azz58 hit up lake mountain.

The track conditions are good, with only minimal puddles. They major annoyance was all the debree all over the track. a few logs had to be moved etc.

If it is wet up there on race day you better be ready for some slippery ass corners and rocks though lol.

Anyways it's a great place to ride and i recomend it to anyone to come next weekend and enter the race.

IIITAK3NIII
Hi

Great to hear you made it to Lake Mountain. We walked the trails on Friday and cleared all the debris for the weekend riders, but high winds over the weekend undid a lot of that work. We've had crews go back out this morning to clear the trails again, and hopefully the high winds will stay away for the rest of the week! This will be an ongoing issue for us as the forest was devastated by the Feb 2009 fires, so there is a lot of dead timber out there.

The event is capped at 400 riders, and if the weather forecast for Saturday is accurate the trails will be dry and you can leave the rain jacket in the car...fingers crossed!

And yes, there are a lot of spider webs out there...so as serowe has suggested, let someone else take the lead!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the riding.

Happy trails!

The Lake Mountain Crew

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Black Spur Roadworks

For those heading up on Saturday; allow a bit of extra time...

Roadworks are scheduled for 23/2 - 3/3 at Fernshaw.

I have no idea if they will be working Sat but would expect speed limit would still be reduced.

See you up there :) I'll be the slow one :p

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Roadworks are scheduled for 23/2 - 3/3 at Fernshaw.
Thanks for the heads up :)

And i am sure i will be riding out the back of the pack with you. It has been a lazy riding season for me so far.

Stons

Likes Dirt
Was thinking of riding the hardtail up there? Never ridden the trails so dont know what to expect... Would it appropriate? Or do you need something with a bit of travel?

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Was thinking of riding the hardtail up there? Never ridden the trails so dont know what to expect... Would it appropriate? Or do you need something with a bit of travel?
Well, I would say a hardtail will do you just fine - nothing too technical up there. But then, I've only got a hardtail.. so I'm biased ;-)

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Would it appropriate?
I rode my hardtail there on the weekend and it was fine. There were times i wish i had my dually but the hardtail destroyed the climbs so i think it is a better race option ( unless you have a really good dually that can perform like a hardtail).

I have 100mm travel on the front of my hardtail and was running 40 psi on my back tyre and 36 on my front. It worked a treat.

But yes, The hardtail will be more than enough.