granton race

S.

ex offender
It was good, having that double there made things interesting and kept the crowd occupied (good move) without being overly dangerous. It was a bit pedally for my liking (then again I'm a fat unfit bastard!), but having so many line choices so often was a real treat. The berms were great too, no blown out corners was awesome!

Best part of the whole event was the organisation: I spent 2 minutes registering, and the most time I spent in line waiting for a shuttle was 15 or so minutes.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
gezz were they expecting hundereds and only got tens or something.thats unherd of at most races.

the 15 min thing.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i found it ok but that stupid jump...
first off the 1st landing was too close and the 2nd was too far (11.3 meters) for us hardtail types other than that it was a good race but the shuttle waiting time was little too much in the end 34mins some one said but yeah other than that it was a verry good track/race other than the killer jump i bailed on in my race run 60 meters from the end! ( dont ask what happened as i have no clue other than i nose dived)

S.

ex offender
josh said:
any pics?:)
Pics tomorrow night!

Frank: No, the Fat Tyre Flyers (FTF) are just good at organising things (eg at the Oceanics at Eildon, you could go up, ride down, jump straight on the next shuttle, and go up again!). On top of that, the car trip was actually quicker than the ride down... usually the shuttles would beat most of the riders down (cept the first handful to head off). I'm impressed, to say the least.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
shit how steep was the access road. did it just go straight up the side of the hill. stuff these damn turns to make it easy to drive.well at fellcreg you would beat the lifts down the hill by about 10 mins. no shit either. but then you would be there for another 30-40 mins befor you were at the top again. and this was only a 1.40 track(hannah 's time. not mine)

S.

ex offender
frank-oi said:
shit how steep was the access road. did it just go straight up the side of the hill. stuff these damn turns to make it easy to drive.well at fellcreg you would beat the lifts down the hill by about 10 mins. no shit either. but then you would be there for another 30-40 mins befor you were at the top again. and this was only a 1.40 track(hannah 's time. not mine)
The access road wasn't steep at all, actually half of the road was the main road (ie sealed highway), then maybe 1-2km of fireroad. FTF were real good with transport!
The best time at the track was 4:29... my time was 5:01 :oops: I'm a slow bastard!

I reckon the track was fully 3km long though.

S.

ex offender
oz-freerider said:
well i found it ok but that stupid jump...
first off the 1st landing was too close and the 2nd was too far (11.3 meters) for us hardtail types other than that it was a good race but the shuttle waiting time was little too much in the end 34mins some one said but yeah other than that it was a verry good track/race other than the killer jump i bailed on in my race run 60 meters from the end! ( dont ask what happened as i have no clue other than i nose dived)
The whole idea of that jump was that the people who are willing to step up and clear it get the advantage...

I had no trouble at all with the shuttle waiting time, in fact quite the opposite. Last year at Granton (on the other track), sometimes we were waiting almost an hour. 34 minutes isn't THAT bad either I reckon, you need a break anyway. I got a few runs in early tho, I guess maybe I was luckier than you with waiting times?

S.

ex offender
oz-freerider said:
nah i rekon 5kms easy man it was long as with all the fast fire road sections..
Nah, to be doing 5km in 5 mins you have to be averaging 60km/h. Given that there was only maybe 2 or 3 spots where you were going that fast, no way could it be that long.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
:D It's great to hear some reasonably positive feedback. I'm on the FTF committee, so I try to help out a bit. There are only 2 DHs on the committee- me and Ben Reynolds-who does almost all the work. Heaps of the organising is done by the crosscountry people in the club too, which makes it even more awesome.

The main complaints we've gotten has been the cost of entry, but considering $10 per rider per race goes towards series prizemoney at the end of the season it's not too bad. Look at the ACT Titles on May 18. They are charging $20 but there is no transport to the top of the hill...The FTF had previously been running DH at a loss, the extra money coming from crosscountry races. Now the extra money if the is any, goes towards new equipment like timing gear. DH costs heaps to run and also takes heaps more volunteers than cross country so its good to know there are people who appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fastrider_ben

Likes Dirt
i just found out today i fractured my wrist from that race
owwwie
can ride for a while gonna miss baccus marsh damn 4x is cool

ben

fastrider gus

super huck
hey oz freerider.. i saw your stack.. that was baaaad! funny though. hehehehe
you were in a verticle nosedive right from when your front wheel left the lip. looked like you hurt yourself too, did you break anything?

Az

Likes Dirt
Loved the granton race!!! (didnt even mind pedaling!)
Just a pity Im now bike less because I managed to snap the disc tab on my forks!!! on my second practice run, interesting problem. duct tape fix's everything!!!

might have to head up there in a couple of weeks for some shuttle runs, does any one know if the jump is staying??.
:lol:

Az

Likes Dirt
not 100% sure really, i had a hard crash in practice but did think i smashed it into the ground. It was after the next run i noticed it. But it only broke the bottom tab, so a bit of duct tape around the 8" adaptor and i got through the rest of the day being very gentle on the front brakes!!!

Took em back to the shop and looks like ill be getting a new set of lowers under warranty. But they had to go to sydney!!! so no bike for a week or so. :( . They really shouldnt brake like that!!!

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fastrider gus said:
hey oz freerider.. i saw your stack.. that was baaaad! funny though. hehehehe
you were in a verticle nosedive right from when your front wheel left the lip. looked like you hurt yourself too, did you break anything?
nah didnt break anything just jared? my wrist and hurt my whole right hand side of my body but it's fine now. i have no idea what happened i had that jump nailed.... oh well BUT ISCRATHCHED MY NEW SPY GOGGLES! :evil: :evil: