Grateful but underwhelmed

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've noted recently in a couple of places here that I cracked my alloy Anthem 29er...one of the bright shiny 2011 models. Well today I got Giant's response...a quite spanking 2015 Anthem Advanced frame. Carbon front end and alloy swing arm. Bloody nice and as good a demonstration as anything as to why you should consider Giant and keep your receipt.

Having built it up this arvo...it's rather light (lighter than the alloy frame) and went together sweet apart from a too short rear brake line but...

...by golly it is just kind of nothing to look at. The alloy job was so ridiculously eye catching in both a good and bad way...for some daft reason I am reminded of a Tears For Fears video here...but this one despite its obvious weight and construction improvements (and the fact it seems really nice to ride) just looks...well...adequate.

By Huey...I'm getting shallow in my middle age.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Pictures are good,

But I'll get in first ... ride her hard, don't worry what she looks like ... But you will anyway :llama:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
This one?

Looks ok, Giant had a series of hideous models...this one is toned down. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's not going to win any beauty awards.

silentbutdeadly

Pictures are good,

But I'll get in first ... ride her hard, don't worry what she looks like ... But you will anyway :llama:
They are good but I'm too lazy. Besides someone else sorted it!

Oh I'm not worried how it looks...I just don't care because it doesn't make me want to. Which slightly disappoints me.

If I thought it was good looking (or at least eye catching) then I might make more of an effort to keep it that way but now I don't have to try...no bad thing probably!

moorey

call me Mia
On the bright side, it will crack again soon, so the next one might be better. :behindsofa:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
horses for courses... i find the original ghastly! at least it's still a blue based bike... have seen a couple of XTC's replaced with the next years model, that went from red to blue.

interesting that the rear brake was too short, the routing looks near identical... if anything the newer one takes a straighter path.

silentbutdeadly

horses for courses... i find the original ghastly! at least it's still a blue based bike...

interesting that the rear brake was too short, the routing looks near identical... if anything the newer one takes a straighter path.
The blue bias is irrelevant since I'd ditched most of the blue trimmings well before the crack up!

I run XT brakes now and it is rather odd that they weren't long enough on the new frame...perhaps the top tube is a touch longer?

As for the look of it...perhaps I'm just envious that it isn't a Czar.

silentbutdeadly

Clearly I'm not only shallow... I'm also an idiot.

The rear brake line is not too short if your lever is rotated on the handlebar into the correct position... [Sigh]

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I've had two carbon Anthem 29er frames replaced in recent times. Both were 2013 models replaced with 2014 frames. First time it replaced red black and white Anthem 1. This didn't really float my boat as the red and white bits didn't match.
But this time the matte finish black silver and blue frame goes great with the 2013 0 models blue and black bits and grey XX group set. Stoked I didn't get the huffy copy 2015 frame.
I wonder what I'll get next time?

MARKL

Eats Squid
I've had two carbon Anthem 29er frames replaced in recent times. Both were 2013 models replaced with 2014 frames. First time it replaced red black and white Anthem 1. This didn't really float my boat as the red and white bits didn't match.
But this time the matte finish black silver and blue frame goes great with the 2013 0 models blue and black bits and grey XX group set. Stoked I didn't get the huffy copy 2015 frame.
I wonder what I'll get next time?
Must be a challenge for the graphics dude to make it new and exciting each year yet still work with previous years colours...

silentbutdeadly

Get ready to lose the lot then as I suspect Giant will go with these schemes in MTB as well.

And we all know duck egg blue is an appropriate colour for a MTB.