Gravel Bike Help.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
If you are looking for something with good stack try the Canyon Grizl (only found out after doing some research for a very tall friend)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Instead of starting a new thread I kick start this one off again, been thinking of getting a gravel bike for commuting from Southern Cross to work then hit up some of the Yarra trails and bike paths the long way round to one of the train stations on the way home.
Just wondering if anyone has any ridden the Merida Silex, looking at this in particular as it has a reasonably high stack and I’m not that flexible any more. Some of the reviews call it a gravel bike for mountain bikers but I take reviews with a grain of salt, just wondering if anyone has some real world experience with one?
That's exactly what I ended up getting. A 300. I find it's MTB orientated geometry just right for comfortable riding. My roadie used to kill my back but this bike is great.

cammas

Seamstress
That's exactly what I ended up getting. A 300. I find it's MTB orientated geometry just right for comfortable riding. My roadie used to kill my back but this bike is great.
Thanks, how did you find the sizing? The Merida website has me on a small @173cm, as I’ve never really owned a road or gravel bike so this has thrown me, as for mtbs I’m riding medium or even a large brand dependent.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks, how did you find the sizing? The Merida website has me on a small @173cm, as I’ve never really owned a road or gravel bike so this has thrown me, as for mtbs I’m riding medium or even a large brand dependent.
I ride a 54 I think it is? Medium. My wife rides a small and she's about 160cm so I reckon a medium would work. You may just need a shorter stem.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I ride a 54 I think it is? Medium. My wife rides a small and she's about 160cm so I reckon a medium would work. You may just need a shorter stem.
Yeah, unlike MTB with many different variables. Roadies and Gravel/CX bikes are pretty much set in size.
I am 175cm and have ridden a 54 comfortably in most of the above. I bought a BH roadie at one stage and it was a 56, I was ok but more of a stretch. I have also ridden a 52 for a while (borrowed), It also felt ok.

As DMan says, go 54 then get the bars you like, then pull them where you need them by changing the stem length, angle and spacers.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
Thanks I guess I better throw a leg over one from what I’ve seen their small is similar to giant medium and all frame sizes run a 80mm stem so I don’t know if going shorter is an option. I will if I can find one locally somewhere and test it out, below is there geometry chart for reference so there medium is a 50.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Just had a sneaky look online and for my size (196cm) it's recommending an XL (normally I'm XXL in road bikes). Interesting.
I was checking for a friend who is 6'4" and the stack on the 2xl has the highest out of all the medium-priced bikes he was considering.
This was followed by the new Trek Checkpoint which was 1cm less.

cammas

Seamstress
I was checking for a friend who is 6'4" and the stack on the 2xl has the highest out of all the medium-priced bikes he was considering.
This was followed by the new Trek Checkpoint which was 1cm less.
Canyon have two stack measurements one normal then stack+, which is apparently where your hands will be I think. Only thing with Canyon not much stock at the moment, on Wednesday I find out when I can start riding again so this may determine what I buy, as I can be an impatient bastard and want to get going as soon as I can.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With drop bar bikes, you have the stem length, then you have the reach of the bars, then the length of the hoods.

When I drop barred my perfectly fitting IndyFab MTB, which usually ran a ~80mm stem and flat bars, I didnt think about the extra reach of the bars and the hoods.

Excuse my shitty illustration as I couldnt find a diagram online. Red - being what you have to allow for on a MTB and approximately where your hands will be.

On a drop bar bike, you have to allow for the stem then bar reach and the hoods which can stretch you out a further ~70-90mm for bars and a probably ~30-40mm on the hoods.

I run a 33mm stem on my Adventure bike with very wide flared drop bars, it feels good and I'm further forward with the 33mm stem than I ever was when it was a flat bar MTB.

Stick a leg over a few CX or gravel bikes, you'll know pretty quickly what feels right.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Canyon have two stack measurements one normal then stack+, which is apparently where your hands will be I think. Only thing with Canyon not much stock at the moment, on Wednesday I find out when I can start riding again so this may determine what I buy, as I can be an impatient bastard and want to get going as soon as I can.
I was just using stack as this is measured the same across most manufacturers.
stack+ appears to be measured from the ground up. Not sure what the intent is...