Graves 2011 Yeti 303 WC Team Issue

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Ever noticed how many if not most DH tracks in Aus especially, have a lot of flat sections and even some uphills? Same thing, turning pedals turns back wheel. The heavier the wheel/tyre/bike the harder it is to excellerate and seeing in DH especially you slow down for many corners and excellerate out of them, this is where time and effort/energy is lost or saved. A lighter bike will also be able to slow down faster which will also save you time allowing you to brake later and so on.

Hey, I'm happy for you guys to run heavier bikes if you think it makes no difference.

You should maybe also tell all the top riders in the world in whatever discipline and all the bike and component manufacturers that they are all going the wrong way by making stuff lighter all the time!
I don't disagree with your point, just the way you're making it. Just because road and xc guys need to cut weight wherever possible, it doesn't mean DH has to follow. If you're focusing on getting your bike to pedal well uphill, you're setting it up for, what, like 1-2% of a DH trail?

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I don't disagree with your point, just the way you're making it. Just because road and xc guys need to cut weight wherever possible, it doesn't mean DH has to follow. If you're focusing on getting your bike to pedal well uphill, you're setting it up for, what, like 1-2% of a DH trail?
I think you're missing the point. BKelly is spot on. Re-read his posts, he's explained it perfectly well. A lighter bike accelerates, brakes and is more energy efficient than a heavier bike (i.e- easier to pedal).

T-Rex

Template denier
If you're focusing on getting your bike to pedal well uphill, you're setting it up for, what, like 1-2% of a DH trail?
Having an arguement with bkelly on the subject of pedalling a DH bike is pretty funny. Do you also argue with your doctor when he diagnoses your medical conditions?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Can't really understand much of that, but anytime you wanna race me on my light bike and you on a heavy bike, let me know!
More weight = more momentum.

One could argue that the time lost in doing any pedalling was made up by the increase in momentum down the hill. I guess my point is that this is a useless topic......especially when it's in a thread with pictures of a bike that I will more than likely look at whilst touching myself inappropriately this evening.

indica

Serial flasher
Looks great. The weight is spot on too, 18.5kgs is where it is at.
My Fury weighs that and the fucker is carbon.

Ruys

Likes Dirt
I'm really just shit stirring. I know perfectly well that a lighter bike will perform better at some tasks, but was trying to point out that a bit more weight may suit guys who like to plow more.

wintortree

Likes Dirt
no way BK

Can't really understand much of that, but anytime you wanna race me on my light bike and you on a heavy bike, let me know!
no way BK i cant even keep up with you on my light bike. ill race you if you wouldn't mind racing your dj bike. but even then im not shore i could bet you.

BKelly

teh fast
More weight = more momentum.

One could argue that the time lost in doing any pedalling was made up by the increase in momentum down the hill. I guess my point is that this is a useless topic......especially when it's in a thread with pictures of a bike that I will more than likely look at whilst touching myself inappropriately this evening.
That might be slightly valid on a track that was very steep and straight and I can't think of any race tracks that are like that except maybe mammoth mountain? haha

And I think you might have the wrong site? ha

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And why would it be more susceptible to breaking if it where carbon exactly?

Bike look's the goods by the way!
given that carbon generally has a higher flex to break ratio than alloy people seem to think its weaker, and given that the thickness of the couple of carbon frames out for 2011 they are not really that much lighter than alloy counter parts.

anyways its still a yeti. not my bag baby

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That might be slightly valid on a track that was very steep and straight and I can't think of any race tracks that are like that except maybe mammoth mountain? haha
Depends on what tracks you're talking about. For flatter ones then definately a lighter one is better but when you start getting to european tracks then you generally don't have a problem with it being too flat. Lighter is definately easier though for better manuvering.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on what tracks you're talking about. For flatter ones then definately a lighter one is better but when you start getting to european tracks then you generally don't have a problem with it being too flat. Lighter is definately easier though for better manuvering.
i agree with a lot of that
have a look at Gee Atherton's commi weight, its in the 18.2kg area, by todays standards thats heavy, given that hes a ripped monster, that even belittles king kong, 18kg is still a bit up there.

the other thing to factor in is factory sponsorships, riders dont tend to have as much flexibility to swap and change parts out for preference.

Jared

Yeti Cycles
Oh dear, this seemed to get a bit derailed, didnt it lads! I was advised to come and clear a few things up, which id be happy to!

First of all, If you guys noticed the specs, then you would see that its pretty easy to take quite a bit of weight off. To start with that weight is with steel springs front and rear, Practice wheels, which are built to be almost indestructable, full size DH tubes, and steel bolts throughout, Now the ti Springs are on front and rear, race wheels (whch are still plenty strong) are on, some slightly lighter tubes in, and all Ti bolts are on, and WITH pedals on, its comng in at 17.7 kg, or 38.9lbs.

Its true that Yeti dont make the lightest frames around, but these frames are built to last, you would be amazed how many frames other world cup guys on other frames go through, lets just say its very common for many stock frames under certain world cup riders to last no more than 1 week.

Ive raced light bikes, ive raced heavy bikes, and I can tell you without a doubt, it comes down to the rider, not the bikes weight, as long as your bike isnt some 23+kg monster, then weight is no issue. Light bikes might be easier to slow down and accelerate and handle in some situations, but heavier bikes maintain speed better once up to speed, are much stiffer and hold lines better, and feel far more stable and confidence inspiring, there are trade-offs for both sides of the argument.

This light weight thing that has been going on has gotten well out of hand lately.

Anyways, im off to ride the thing!

BKelly

teh fast
Oh dear, this seemed to get a bit derailed, didnt it lads! I was advised to come and clear a few things up, which id be happy to!

First of all, If you guys noticed the specs, then you would see that its pretty easy to take quite a bit of weight off. To start with that weight is with steel springs front and rear, Practice wheels, which are built to be almost indestructable, full size DH tubes, and steel bolts throughout, Now the ti Springs are on front and rear, race wheels (whch are still plenty strong) are on, some slightly lighter tubes in, and all Ti bolts are on, and WITH pedals on, its comng in at 17.7 kg, or 38.9lbs.

Its true that Yeti dont make the lightest frames around, but these frames are built to last, you would be amazed how many frames other world cup guys on other frames go through, lets just say its very common for many stock frames under certain world cup riders to last no more than 1 week.

Ive raced light bikes, ive raced heavy bikes, and I can tell you without a doubt, it comes down to the rider, not the bikes weight, as long as your bike isnt some 23+kg monster, then weight is no issue. Light bikes might be easier to slow down and accelerate and handle in some situations, but heavier bikes maintain speed better once up to speed, are much stiffer and hold lines better, and feel far more stable and confidence inspiring, there are trade-offs for both sides of the argument.

This light weight thing that has been going on has gotten well out of hand lately.
Anyways, im off to ride the thing!
Totally agree with all that, especially the whole weight thing getting out of hand! Maybe I wasn't getting my point accross clear? My reply was aimed at the guy that was saying weight makes no difference!? Ofcourse strength and duribility takes priority over any weight savings (maybe not duribility so much for sponsored WC riders), what I was trying to get accross is why would you not want to have as light a bike and components possible where strength and duribility did not become an issue for you. Good point about "it depends on each rider" as smoother and/or lighter riders can get away with using lighter rims and compenents ect.

For the record I'm 90kg and my bike is a tad over 17kg but I almost never break anything so it's not too light for me.
The one thing that makes more difference than overall weight itself is where the weight is positioned on the bike which greatly effects stability and manuverability. ie, low centre of gravity, rotational weight (wheels, pedals ect) and unsprung mass (things that change direction ie fork lowers, wheels again (up and down) and rear end of bike ect.

Bike looks RAD! Best of luck back on the DH this year! :D

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first

Wintortree and rendog stick that in your pipe and smoke it, obviously my comments didn't go down to well at all as i a nobody in the industry is true i just like riding, but to hear a pro sum up everything i basically quoted that you guys thought was horse shit makes me smile.

You keep spending and spending as the marketing/hype the companies put out there is obviously working on you haha

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Yeah, im really not fussed on the weight of my bike, a few less kgs wont make you go any faster. And good luck this year Graves!

Those kashima 40's really top it off though :cool: