gravity enduro.. liaison stages

should gravity enduro liaison stages make you work...

• yes! this is a format for all round weapons, not has-been DHers

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • nope. I want to race down hills and have a soy latte on the way back up, or get driven.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • neither- discuss!

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
I think I'm a bit average in that I ride for fun. Not to get fit. I prefer going down, and I'm fit enough to get back to the top at a slow pace. I have never had any desire to XC race. I have a slight desire to race a DH, but then I prefer to have one bike and the risk associated with DH racing is probably too high for me.

Hence enduro sounds great, but if I have to get stupid fit to make the climbs I'm now disinterested and will continue to ride for fun.

Cheers
+1 I'm not a retired DHer or a super fit XCer. I'm average and middle-aged and after having a go at the local gravity enduro I probably wont go back. Having to walk/ride up hills when your unfit/fat/lazy, isn't fun. It's not really "gravity" enduro, just enduro.

I understand why shuttling would annoy some though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
+1 I'm not a retired DHer or a super fit XCer. I'm average and middle-aged and after having a go at the local gravity enduro I probably wont go back. Having to walk/ride up hills when your unfit/fat/lazy, isn't fun. It's not really "gravity" enduro, just enduro.

I understand why shuttling would annoy some though.
Where abouts was it held?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Smithfield, where the world cup was held.
was this the recent national round? if so that was a very hard event, with more than typical climbing for these events. The ones we ran in Townsville this year had about the same amount of climbing as most would do on a normal trail ride.
We don't have the elevation that Cairns does, but get more value for your climbing efforts, with over 20 minutes of racing for usually about 600-700m of climbing.

If you are basing your experience on that national round, give it another go...

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
Nah I rode a local round, that's why I didn't do the national round, too hard.... I know I'm lazy. I love the idea of being able to descend multiple tracks in a day but I just don't wanna ride/walk to the top.

Racing Enduro is all about getting out there and having fun riding with your mates.

I can understand both versions (shuttles vs non shuttles). We race Enduro and Enduro means endurance riding. If you want shuttles then technically it is only Multi Run downhill race (In Australia where we dont have much vertical Elevation). Having to ride on the transit stages up to the next stage is what Gravity Enduro is all about her is Australia. Overseas they use shuttles because they have no option due the elevation.

Personally I like the ideas of pedal power between stages on Race day, but when it comes training shuttles can make it more enjoyable.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Having raced each round of the Australian Gravity Enduro series this year I found it refreshing that each round was a little bit different and that each event organiser had the freedom to do what suited them and the terrain they had available. Nobody really likes to push their bike up a hill (I didn't see any smiles during transition stages at Cairns) but if everyone in the race is doing the same thing then I don't see a problem. I would prefer that it remains this way so that each series and each race within a series is a little bit different and would perhaps like to see the transition method announced on the day at rider briefing just to keep everyone guessing.

BKelly

teh fast
Aus Enduro

I think the focus with Enduro racing in Aus really needs to be on a more "laid back" "FUN" event that anyone can do on whatever bike they currently have and encourages more people to come and give racing a go. It still needs to be fun for the less fit riders too and the people who do them on DH bikes!

We really should be trying to grow this discipline in Aus. More riders = more funds to hold bigger and better races with more (some) prize money, exposure, sponsorship ect.

Yes, I think you should have to ride to the top of each run, but it should be able to be done with your mates having a yarn and good times (not timed or affect your end result)

The endurance side of things can come from the length and/or doing more runs of the "fun" tracks that should incorporate a good mix of short pinch climbs and fun descents.

I also think there should be numerous "A-lines" to reward the more skilled riders as the climbs reward the riders with more fitness.
People who can jump doubles ect like to do so and closing them off for racing only benefits the less skilled and is less fun for those who like to do jumps.

There should be enough time after each race run to head back to your car, have food and drink, check your bike over and get ready for the next run.
I have seen event schedules where you have to be somewhere different pretty much every half hour through out the day which gets too confusing and is a turn off for myself and others I have spoken to.

I think the race format is best kept as simple as possible. Two tracks are enough, any more than two and practice, timing and organization starts becoming too complicated without wanting to time liaison stages as well.

Of course a lot of this depends on race location, number of race organizers and trail layout.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Interesting thread - so many different opinions. Goes to show how hard it is to please everyone. We will continue do run events for you guys that have slightly different formats based on the locations we can play at. You having fun and a safe race will be the main influencing factors on shuttles/chairlifts/neutral rides. Anyways a big Enduro season is coming our way in 2015.