Grinding off cable guides

Beej1

Just wondering if anyone has ever ground/cut/removed a cable guide from an aluminum frame? I've found a few threads on various forums discussing it, commonly on steel for folk restoring old frames as fixies. Just wondering if anyone here's done it on alloy.

About to strip and repaint a frame, which is out of warranty, which will never again have a front derailleur. I was contemplating removing the FD outer cable stop on the back of the seat tube.

Appreciate any advice.

Removed cable guides off an alloy frame a few years ago using a Dremel. Similar strip down & respray scenario as yours. I just sectioned the guides off using a fine cutting wheel then gently ground down the remaining stubs (once again with the Dremel) without any troubles. It came up a treat. I guess the biggest thing is to just be really considered i.e very careful about not putting excessive heat into the frame when you're removing the guides. Bike is still being thrown around by my brother 4yrs later.

I'm not a materials expert so I can't advise whether you should or shouldn't do it, as I'm sure there are a couple of resident metallurgists & material engineers on RB who would freak out at the prospect & resoundingly say no, but I have had success carefully removing guides from an alloy frame without detrimental effect.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I once enlarged the hole in some guides using a jewelers file,so I could run a full length housing. Aluminium is pretty soft and it didn't take long. If I was attempting to grind guides off I'd be conservative with a grinder knowing its not gonna take long to clean up the remainder with a file.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
^^^

Exactly. Ended up using a fine rasping file to finish off the last mm or two of the stubs quite easily.
Yep, same here. Dremel the meat of it off, then using fine files to take the rest off. Be careful you don't hit the tube with the file. Maybe mask up with tape, first strike will be vary obvious and you can adjust technique.

Beej1

Thx guys. I'm actually going to leave the frame bare and then clear coat it once some decals are on, and don't mind too much if there are a few superficial scratches here and there.

But yes, when using the dremel, I'll definitely be taking care not to go too close to the frame.

Any tips on what kind of grinding piece? Pretty sure I've got stone ones and serrated metal ones.

Thx guys. I'm actually going to leave the frame bare and then clear coat it once some decals are on, and don't mind too much if there are a few superficial scratches here and there.

But yes, when using the dremel, I'll definitely be taking care not to go too close to the frame.

Any tips on what kind of grinding piece? Pretty sure I've got stone ones and serrated metal ones.
I sacrificed one of the 10mm dia stone wheels for the job- doubt that's what they were probably designed for though. Did a test with one of the metal grinding tools on a handlebar off-cut & didn't trust myself not to have it bite with the smaller contact/grinding surface at 1000 rpm:wacko:.