Grips, bung fingers and lock-ons: Help?

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a problem, that I think I have a good idea what the solution is, but I thought I might throw it to the forum to see if you can shed some more light on it.

I ride trials, and as a result of my bike setup I get seriously sore hands after and hour or so. More specifically on the underside of my ring finger on my right hand, it feels as though the tendon is trying to tear itself in twain. So I've had a bit of a fiddle with the sweep angle on my bars, which helped a little, but more with my wrists than my fingers.
So after that I also tried swapping my grips, from the DMR zip grips back to an old set of Oury's I had lying around. I went for a ride for a while, but it wasn't until I was starting to do some bigger moves that I realised that the grips were slipping and thus my finger slipped off the brake and I landed on my arse. So I had to take it a little easier for the rest of it. My hands felt pretty good after the ride, but I'm not sure if it was because I was taking it easy or because of the new grips.
The thing is I really like to be running thinner grips because it reduces arm pump (When you have your hand locked on the brake for long periods it takes less effort when you have a smaller radius to grip) But if it's gonna fuck up my fingers then I'll avoid them. I guess I should also mention that I have pretty big hands, and take the largest gloves I can get eith XL or size 12 depending on brand.

So I guess there are a couple of questions that come out of all of that:

1) How can I stop my grips from slipping on the bars so I can get a good test before I think about buying some Oury Lock-ons?? I don't want to touch Wire as I always cut my hands, and in the past I've used the Hairspray trick, but even then it wasn't the best solution.

2) Does anyone else have similar problems and found a way to stop the pain??

3) What other grips would you recommend that are FAT and come with lock-ons? I really like the Ourys but at $65 it's a little more than I actually want to pay.

S.

ex offender
1. Lock ons are definitely the way to go for non-slippage.
2. sorry no help here
3. ODI Rogues are pretty fat as well. Something in-between (if you're ever inclined to try it) is the Lizardskins Moab grip; it's fatter than most thin grips, but it's not AS fat as some of the other ones.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
The reason your ring finger on right is copping the hurt is because you are using that to MAINLY hang on whilst (probably) having 2 fingers on the front brake. Even if you don't realise this, you probably are... especially when going for a big move and wanting to make sure you're at the brake and ready. Which all means that your ring finger cops the bulk of the force.

4 things here. Firstly you are going to lose a lot of "feel" by going to chubby grips. (Feel = important in biketrial).

Secondly, the chubbier the grip and the less feel you have the more likely you are to find the bars ripped out of your hand when you least want them to go by-byes.

Thirdly, have a better look at the bars you're running, the sweep, angle itself AND the positioning of them. Another set up is sure to relieve the pain.

Fourth, how thick are your gloves? And how much do they bunch up under that finger in that very vulnerable place? Trials gloves really are quite different to many other types and again need to be thin AND tightfitting for best FEEL and grip.

Hope this helps.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip said:
The reason your ring finger on right is copping the hurt is because you are using that to MAINLY hang on whilst (probably) having 2 fingers on the front brake. Even if you don't realise this, you probably are... especially when going for a big move and wanting to make sure you're at the brake and ready. Which all means that your ring finger cops the bulk of the force.

4 things here. Firstly you are going to lose a lot of "feel" by going to chubby grips. (Feel = important in biketrial).

Secondly, the chubbier the grip and the less feel you have the more likely you are to find the bars ripped out of your hand when you least want them to go by-byes.

Thirdly, have a better look at the bars you're running, the sweep, angle itself AND the positioning of them. Another set up is sure to relieve the pain.

Fourth, how thick are your gloves? And how much do they bunch up under that finger in that very vulnerable place? Trials gloves really are quite different to many other types and again need to be thin AND tightfitting for best FEEL and grip.

Hope this helps.
Yeah Cheers grip, I don't really want to go to fat grips for that exact reason, but as I said, if it fixes the problem.

I only use one finger to brake, but it more than possible that because of the sweep etc that I'm still taking most of the force through that finger.

And as for the gloves I hadn't really though about that, but I'm looking at getting a set of TLD's soon anyway which are a heap thinner than my Sidewinders at the moment.
thanks
-Garth

Sam The Man

Likes Dirt
Further inforcing what grip said, upgrade your brakes (dice whiplash are affordable and fully hydraulic w\ x-cellent power) so you don't have to have 2 fingers on the leavers (if that is the case)

also, make sure you don't have your brake levers two high,. for a while back i did and i expperienced something similar (my index finger being stretched into agony when going for a big bunny hop)

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Sam The Man said:
Further inforcing what grip said, upgrade your brakes (dice whiplash are affordable and fully hydraulic w\ x-cellent power) so you don't have to have 2 fingers on the leavers (if that is the case)

also, make sure you don't have your brake levers two high,. for a while back i did and i expperienced something similar (my index finger being stretched into agony when going for a big bunny hop)
Good point, Sam... I didn't even think of poor quality brakes puting extra strain on the whole thing.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know you have tried this.... But try foam grips, with hairspray... Leave to set for a day and the only way they will budge is if you take to them with a big knife :p

Also the foam is quiet soft, and compresses quiet easily, which may help with arm pump. I switched to these after messing up my hand, as I found I could no longer hold onto my Oury grips for longer than 15min without pain in my left hand.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sam The Man said:

lol nah 1 finger is plenty for my Hope Mono Mini (I've got a Magura HS33 on the back)

And as for having them too high, I just solved my wrist problem by moving my levers up a heap. They use to point almost straight down, now they're about 20 degress off the horizontal, which is much better!

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also just realised that living in a house with no women I have no hairspray...........

I've also asked around a few friends and they don't use it any more. (Someone forgot to tell me the 80's was over, and I just bought a new pair of flouro shorts and a hypercolour t-shirt to match BUGGER!)

So does anyone know of any other methods/solvents/black magic that will help keep the grips on?? I don't wanna go the whole 9 yards and go contact adhesive far, but somewhere between there and moto throttle would be great!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well I can;t see contact adhesive working, you'd get the grips on about a 1/4 of an inch and that would be it :p .

Try some spray paint if you're game, WD40 can help too, or just blow them on with a compressor.

Oh, I've heard AJAX is the shit to use with ourys. Haven't tried it myself though, but you should....... then answer my question about trials bikes! :p

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the Oury Lock-ons.. at work we sell the Oury Bonus pack (everything you need to for lock-on grips) for $49.95.

I found that while I'm riding something that I need a fair bit of grip on the bars my fingers cramp up with these grips... I was in a race, heading down one of the faster parts and my three fingers closest to the outside had actually cramped themselves around my bar and I couldn't physically let go for about 10 seconds after I started relaxing them...
But they are fat if thats what you're into!

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:
Well I can;t see contact adhesive working, you'd get the grips on about a 1/4 of an inch and that would be it :p .

Try some spray paint if you're game, WD40 can help too, or just blow them on with a compressor.

Oh, I've heard AJAX is the shit to use with ourys. Haven't tried it myself though, but you should....... then answer my question about trials bikes! :p
haha, yeah I might just be your lab rat for this one Wombat, they're old grips any ways so I might give it a shot.

As for answering you trials bike question....... GO READ IT! (we must have been reply to each others posts at the same time >_<)

jays_5000 said:
I use the Oury Lock-ons.. at work we sell the Oury Bonus pack (everything you need to for lock-on grips) for $49.95.

I found that while I'm riding something that I need a fair bit of grip on the bars my fingers cramp up with these grips... I was in a race, heading down one of the faster parts and my three fingers closest to the outside had actually cramped themselves around my bar and I couldn't physically let go for about 10 seconds after I started relaxing them...
But they are fat if thats what you're into!
Really! $49.95 that's well in the price bracket! Where do you work! If it ain't in Sydney do they do postal orders?

Hahaha yeah I've had similar, but have you ever woken up with both hands and forearms doing it!! That's a whole new world of pain!!

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cant help you with 2 of the 3 questions but i picked up my OURY lock-ons here in melbourne for 49.95, in my opinion they are the best grip out there and while i was sceptical at first if the lock on mechanism really worked i can say without doubt now that is does, grips just completely do not move! just make sure you grease the threads on the collars first, for 50 bucks ya cant go wrong and remember also that once you have the collars its only 20 bucks for ANY set of ODI grips, you can swap and choose a whole heap
Good luck

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in Tas sorry, only really do mail orders to remote areas in the state.

Call everywhere in Sydney and if you can't find a shop selling them for that much let them know they're asking too much haha.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jays_5000 said:
I'm in Tas sorry, only really do mail orders to remote areas in the state.

Call everywhere in Sydney and if you can't find a shop selling them for that much let them know they're asking too much haha.
Yeah the 65 came from the only online store I could find with them, I haven't actually ventured out into the real world yet (it's a very scary place :cry:

wombat said:
I ran Oury lock-ons for a while, until I tried out the Ruffians. I won't be going back.
Are they as "paddy" as Oury's are?? or are they just bigger versions of DMR Zip grips? Or are the Yeti Hardcore's more what I'm after, ie similar to Ourys. I've never actually felt and ODI's as far as I know.....

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ruffians are very different to Ourys, it's the ODI Rogue that is a similar size. Ruffians are are much thinner grip, with little tiny pryramids for grip, no big pads.
I used to be an Oury man especially since I have big hands, but I found that they were so fat that they were making me uncomfortable, and reducing my feel through the bars, that;s why I don't run them anymore.

Master_eT

Likes Bikes
One way to get a bit more bite out of your grips is to layer up tape on the inside, so it grows your bars a tiny bit bigger. Make sure you clean our the insides of your grips with metho or something to get the dirt etc out. It might work if you use some tape to go over the final layer, but then rip it off again so it leaves a semi-sticky surface. I'm not really sure how well this will work, but its worth a try i guess.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:
Ruffians are very different to Ourys, it's the ODI Rogue that is a similar size. Ruffians are are much thinner grip, with little tiny pyramids for grip, no big pads.
I used to be an Oury man especially since I have big hands, but I found that they were so fat that they were making me uncomfortable, and reducing my feel through the bars, that;s why I don't run them anymore.
Yeah from the sounds of them, and a little bit of a look that I can get from pics off the net, the Ruffians look just like the DMR Zip grips which I have at the moment. Which I do really like as far as grip goes, but it's more of a comfort factor now =\
Also just like you, the large radius and thus lack of 'feel
is the same reason that I stopped using them on my other bikes.....

dilemmas dilemmas

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HUZZAH!!

I used some spray paint (thanks Womabt, sorry I couldn't try the Ajax, I didn't have any....) nad now the grips are stuck on there solid!!

I'll let you know how it goes. Now I just have to wait for rain to stop so I can go for a ride!!