Grips

Switch

huskier headed gent
After loosing a locking end cap on my ODI grips whilst travelling to Canberra on the weekend I am in the market for new grips and need the collective wisdom of the Rotorburn clan.

Grips can be a personal thing but I cant find any specific threads and keen for opinions and reviews.

I am thinking ODI AG-1, Ergon GE1 or GA2 what are peoples thoughts preferences and reviews on the grips that they use?

jarrod839

Banned
Im running ODI sensus grips and they just feel awesome. Good grip and super comfy.

Meant to be a new ERGON grip releasing soon thats been tested by some of the World Cup riders with strong reviews.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ESI Extra chunky for me.
I've got large hands (I'm a clyde) and so they're thick enough to relieve any strain I get trying to hang on to thinner grips.
Lovely vibration absorption as well as grip, wet or dry. They're super comfortable and the colour ranges are good too.

On the negative.
If you crash they can split pretty easily. (Gluing them back works fine)
The bar ends can be a little easy to lose (replaced mine with better ones)
Without window cleaner they can be a right PITA to install and remove.

I have them on all my bikes and would need a really good sell to try something else. Just don't get white as they get filthy really quick. (Surprising, I know, right?)

Agree with The Reverend. ESI's dont look as gnarly as other grips but they do they job rain, hail or shine and have great shock absorbsotion. Whilst i have never experienced it, im told end caps can go walk about and the grips can be a pain to remove (maybe it should be the other way around :)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
ESI are great. Grippy, absorb high frequency vibrations and are easy on the hands
I only use the standard end caps to install the Grips (use iso alcohol ) and the remove them and replace them with Hope end caps. They help to prevent the grips splitting when you hit trees or in spills.
I've tried racers Edge but settled on chunky, I wear size large (9 or 10) gloves for reference.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All I want is an ESI grip on a Lock-on ODI style. Do love ESI's but they get torn up so quickly. Guess I could make set, anyone got some worn down to the plastic ODIs?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
All I want is an ESI grip on a Lock-on ODI style. Do love ESI's but they get torn up so quickly. Guess I could make set, anyone got some worn down to the plastic ODIs?
Honestly, I've had 3 sets of ESI wear out before ripping by using Hope bar ends. They make a huge difference.
You can also ESI for about $20- $25 a pair from amazon, so about the same price as a 6 pack of beer. Not the end of the world if you only get 6 months out of them.

I got the ODI rouge grips because they are fatter for my big hands. 4 months down the track and they are starting to wiggle a little fore and aft. Not real happy as I do like them. Also the green ano finish is just about rubbed through on the outer top locking rings.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I bought a couple of pairs of torpedo7 ESI knock-offs now ive got piano players hands so I havn't worn em out yet
better than other stuff ive used previously

Warp

Likes Dirt
I tried the ESI Chunky and while I liked them, I hated them when it came the time to adjust anything on the bars that required the grips to come out.

That took me to Ergon GE1, which I find amazing. Really, I used to suffer from tingling on my fingers and wrist pain and on the 1st ride I did 3hrs on the Ergons without issues or hand/wrist pain. So far so good.

I love them.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
ESI chunkys are great. A compressor has them on and off quicker than lock ons.

Having said that, I've just swapped them out for a pair of Ergon GE1. They feel great in hand, will find out how they are on trail tomorrow.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I've been using the Renthal Kevlar grips for the past 18 months and they've been great. Just starting to wear down now which is pretty good for me. Always felt like they've had plenty of grip and comfortable for my hand size.
I could have rotated them and got a few more months out of them but merlin are doing 10% off Hope if you spend over a certain amount so added a set of Hope grips to my basket to hit it. Haven't fitted yet but feel good and I like the way the grip extends over the lock ring as my hands are always right on the ends of the bars (should probably order some wider ones but that's for another day)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
20+ k's on the Ergon GE1s today in wet muddy conditions.

They are an excellent grip. Beautifully sculpted to the hand and they put hand and wrist in a very comfortable and natural position with wide bars.

They are firm and probably not the best for big manly hands as they seem a touch small in diameter but great for my delicate digits.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Anyone else find the GE1's too hard? I really wanted to like them.. But yeah, much harder than the ESI's I was used to.