gripsport custom rack

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, heres my new rack. I sat down with my dad and we came up with a few drawings of what we wanted and then went to grip, after which we amended a few things and we all settled on a final design, then after about a fortnight i became the proud owner of a nice shiney 2 dh bike rack. Works a treat and 8 grand of bike didn't get dragged down the western ring road yesterday, what more can you ask for.

Observer here and here.

Rik

logged out
That's an absolutely brilliant idea, carrying dual boingers and small bikes is such a hassle.
And nice car, the choice of xtreeme mtb'ers is camry :lol:

MADCAM!!!! you rock nick

nice rack shmity...

ok i'll be serious now... i've been wondering about carrying bikes without a standard top tube and after grip's little effort with the road bikes i think i may need to invest in one...

either that or i save up for a ute...
oldschool WB or HZ...
or maybe i should get one like Grip's... that theing DEFINES old school!! it's a comfort to know, every morning i go past on the way to school, that some things will never change!!

hmmm... if i save up for a ute i'll have enough for a mad DH bike AND a rack... sounds like the better option

S.

ex offender
And after all that, you still ended up having to use duct tape. Shame, shame shame.

(nice rack shmity... can I squeeze them?)

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks like it turned out nicely.
*me grumbles about the likelyhood of never getting to use it/get a lift*
:lol:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that looks like a very nice peice of engineering.
damn grip you make some nice stuff.
was wondering how stiff it was latraly. does it tend to twist, and would that mean you have to fairly carefull to keep the load even on both sides. (was just thinking of the weight of a big duallies rear end V'sa HT.)

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lupine, most of the weight is taken by the crankarm holder, which is in the centre of the rack, the main thing you need to worry about is having a nice strong hitch for it to attach to, the best option would be to have it in a square hitch, but thats not practical for everyone.

Oh and socket, the duct tape was only to hold the number plate on, dad and i havn't had a chance to bolt on a holder for the number plate, stop light and indicators.

wombat said:
That's a good looking system.

So what's Grip driving anyway?
not sure exactly what
but it's old and it's brown and it has "Gripsport" logos all over it

and if ur looking for a square block towbar i have found that the best are made by "hayman and reese"

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for that dilsnikk, i was just wondering.
looking forward to reading a good long term review from you :D
and grip, wheres the pooch cannon?

Rik

logged out
commander_dilsnikk said:
and if ur looking for a square block towbar i have found that the best are made by "hayman and reese"
They're the ones to invent it, weren't they?

Rik said:
commander_dilsnikk said:
They're the ones to invent it, weren't they?
yeah i'm pretty sure it was them. but don't quote me on it!! :)

i've had absolutely zero (and i really mean zero) problems with them. You can also get them to make up longer "blocks" so that the toball and thus the rack will protrude beyond a spare tire on a 4WD, etc.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Shmity, trust me on this as I had a similar setup on my old car. It aint pretty what can happen to your bikes, tow bar and car.

You should look at raising the bike rack upwards at least a foot to give you a better exit angle for your car on drops, high gutters etc.

Have a look at this model which is quite similar to what you have done. They raised there's even higher.

http://www.bicycleracks.com/sthd.asp

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
commander_dilsnikk said:
MADCAM!!!! you rock nick

nice rack shmity...

ok i'll be serious now... i've been wondering about carrying bikes without a standard top tube and after grip's little effort with the road bikes i think i may need to invest in one...

either that or i save up for a ute...
oldschool WB or HZ...
or maybe i should get one like Grip's... that theing DEFINES old school!! it's a comfort to know, every morning i go past on the way to school, that some things will never change!!

hmmm... if i save up for a ute i'll have enough for a mad DH bike AND a rack... sounds like the better option
Hey Commander... if you go past every day why the hell haven't you come in and said G'day? Call in.

Oh... and the colour of the Ute is referred to as "baby-poo-brown" thank you very much... now get it right! And it's a 1983 Toyota long wheelbase 2WD ute that's done 396000kms and has cost me LESS than $2000 all-up INCLUDING the original purchase price 4 years ago! And you know what? It carries EVERYTHING we make to and from the powdercoaters and zinc platers a couple of times a week.... and I don't care if it gets the odd scratch in the back! It starts first time every time... costs bugger all to run, insure, maintain etc... and most important of all it gets me from one side of town to the other JUST as quick as my mate's $60,000 ute that he'll be paying off for about 100 years!

Which goes to prove that there are some motoring bargains out there to be had guys... and you don't have to have the flashest of the flash to survive.

But now that I think about it this also proves that I obviously don't charge ANYWHERE near enough for ANYTHING!

Now I'm just shitty!

Oh and Shmitty... glad the carrier turned out to be what you wanted. You did a good job of designing that. My part was easy.