Grossmann in coma after urban downhillin Vuelta

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It is something I always take note of when walking down covered stairs - how close would my head come to hitting the roof if I gapped these stairs?
It's been over 10 years since I pulled a stair gap but I still do the exact same thing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ who doesn't!?!?!? Sometimes I pretend I'm holding my handle bars as well...it's been months since I popped a stair gap, I'm keen to get amongst it again. I'm not so keen to watch the video, I don't feel the need to see that kind of trauma.

Hopefully this guy makes a swift recovery and doesn't end up destroyed.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
^ who doesn't!?!?!? Sometimes I pretend I'm holding my handle bars as well...it's been months since I popped a stair gap, I'm keen to get amongst it again. I'm not so keen to watch the video, I don't feel the need to see that kind of trauma.

Hopefully this guy makes a swift recovery and doesn't end up destroyed.
Great snuff movie....

Me too poodle but think I'll wear full face and pads now

Daetmi3

Likes Bikes
Looking at this from my hospital bed after a bad fall on weekend, and all I can say is I feel for him and wish him a fast recovery. And yes, full face and full pads really DO help!!

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
But related, and it a roadie thing is this: The Giro (Italian worldtour race) has added a new prize category.

What are you guys thoughts?

I think harden up and get on with racing. Roadie riders are not reknowned for skills (but they can be pretty good - just not all of them by any means). No-one is forced to participate in the descent sections, so some can stay "safe" if they wish.
One big difference between a road race and nearly all the mountain bike downhill races which I'm aware of (Megavalanch excepted, although I'm sure there are others) is that everybody races in a pack, rather than timed runs separately.

So given descending a mountain at 100km/h in just Lycra and a lightweight open face helmet is already crazy (no pads, full face helmets or neck braces), I'm not surprised the riders revolted* at the prospect of encouraging riders who have no prospect of winning the overall race, or even the stage, from taking extra risks to brake late, take different lines, etc, rather than keeping in the single file that one typically sees.

*the Giro organisers have now withdrawn the competition.

Last edited: