GST and customs

Roastin

Likes Bikes
Hi has anyone ever brought in anything from over seas via courier? I know goods under $400 will pass thru tax free, but what if the item coming thru is a personal item such as a camera? not bought brand new?
will i still get taxed for it?

its a camera i got last yr but left it back home in singapore.... realised i need it now so getting it fedexed over..... i'll be insuring the full cost of the item so the cost of the item will be there..........how do i let them know that its not bought brand new?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is from another thread, but is still applicable to my knoledge.

I wrote:

Import Duty: If the item is coming thorugh a shipping company, say UPS / FedEX there is a $250AUD "non taxable limit" after this you may/ may not get charged Customs Fee's, and probably GST.

If the item is sent VIA the postal system- i.e USPS or Canada Post the "non taxable limit" is raised to $1000AUD, after which you may/may not be charged Customs fee's and GST.
EDIT: I just noticed the Camera is already yours, Just get them to mark it as a gift when they send the item.

If you get the sender to mark on the box - the item is a gift and NOT merchandise you wont get charged GST, and very rarely will you get charged Custom's if it's marked gift. - If it's under the "Non Taxable Limit", then dont bother...

Roastin

Likes Bikes
so i just wanted to be absolutely sure.......the camere is in excess of aud1500 when first purchased.......so if it gets taxed it will be quite a substantal amount.......

so am i safe to say that if i insure it for the full cost but mark it as a gift it should pass thru customs withough incurring any costs?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant be too sure- But if it's insured for say $1500 and maked as a gift... And has a stay in customs the most you should have to pay is 5% or $75 in this case- Worse Case!

Should be all good though :wink: