GT i_Drive frame bearing maintenance on CARBON frame

bignige

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,
I know this is covered in depth on the web for aluminium framed GTs but I can't find anything specific for the carbon framed ones.
I have got a couple of new headset bearings and today proceeded to pull the bike apart.
Now, the new headset bearings come with a plain steel split washer which holds the rubber o-ring seal in place against the outer race, and I was expecting to find the same thing inside my frame.
What I found was a white plastic washer with a taper on it which does the same job. Now I'm assuming it's plastic so there's no danger of it rubbing away the precious carbon frame.
My question is does anyone else have a carbon Force and have you done the same service and found the same thing.
The reason I'm doing this at all is that my rear triangle suddenly developed a huge amount of play from the i-drive bearings ( in the middle of the JB12hr of course...couldn't have done it the week before or anything!!) and I now suspect that these plastic washers are way past their service life and the root cause of the problem.
Now I've got it apart the original bearings feel exactly like the new ones so I suspect they're not the issue after all.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated if you have first hand knowledge of this stuff.
Cheers people.
Nige