Gwin suspension setup

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
I'm assuming I heard the commentary right at Val di Sole dh and Gwinny runs his suspension super hard. Obviously to win by 8 seconds this is right.
The big question is has Aaron Gwin rewritten the suspension rule book?

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I'm assuming I heard the commentary right at Val di Sole dh and Gwinny runs his suspension super hard. Obviously to win by 8 seconds this is right.
The big question is has Aaron Gwin rewritten the suspension rule book?
Yes Gwin does ride with a shite load of compression, no it hasn't re-written the rule books IMO
His bike setup requires you to ride it hard, or it'll give you a ride. He even commented that when riding and training casually he dials his suspension back a fair amount, its just too hard to run on a regular basis

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
he likes to skim over shizzle ... which requires your body & your frame + components to act as the shock absorber = more strength training and or replacement of shizzle as it breaks, which isn't going to suit the every day Joe like me.

That said I used to have my setup over sprung ... good for the young'uns I says

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think a lot of pros run their set up pretty firm (although Gwin is apparently crazy firm). Read a review where the writer got to ride Brendan's Demo 8 and remarked that it took a lot of time to get used to the stiffness of setup. It was faster once he was used to it but a hell of a lot less forgiving.

BKelly

teh fast
It still comes down to personal preference, don't make your suspension super firm if you don't like it that way . . .

baron

Likes Bikes
There was an article in AMB last year where Sven Martin rode Gwin's (yeti i think) Atherton's supreme and Leov's trek. He reckoned they were all way stiffer than he had ever ridden and I think he commented Gwin's would take super human strength to point it where you needed it to go. They were all tuned with masses more compression than standard. Maybe Gwin has gone harder again as he has gotten faster? Next thing he will be on a full rigid.

I have a Trek Remedy, and I must say that I'm not altogether convinced about the ABP thing. Because the rear has absolutely no squat you feel like you're being pitched forward on braking. Stiffening the front end would Remedy - pardon the pun - this to some extent. Maybe this goes someway to explain his stiff front end.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Remember that the faster you go, effectively the more compression you'll need... Hitting stuff at the speed that those guys do REQUIRES stiffer compression - especially in that hideously rough stuff at Val. Running a medium set up would be suicide at that pace.

Rewriting the rule book? No, he's just going faster than anyone has before ;)

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I as running my 40's super stiff all last year. It felt sick once you got used to it but i kept blowing the bladder out the bottom of them. No i wasnt copying gwin, just were thry ended up whilst i was tuning them in.