Had a set of wheels built. Lacing looks weird.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I had a set of wheels built from a reputable shop and when I got them home I noticed something weird about them. The spokes from the left offset spoke holes go into the right flange and the spokes from the right holes go into the left flange.

Now I always thought that left goes to left and right goes to right, and that seems logical to me as it means the spoke will be pulling more perpendicularly to the rim.

Any wheel building gurus want to chime in on this?

DJR

Likes Dirt
They are pretty deep rims. Have you looked at which way the nipple holes go under the tape? It might be the other way round based on the nipple holes? Not sure.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
They have no tape yet. When I say left offset, I mean left when looking at the rim from the outside.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Are the nipple holes at an angle or straight down if you look from the outside of the rim towards the hub?

Ideate

I think they're laced that way (opposite side holes to the hub flange). Have a look on Google images at other people's wheels.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
The rims are cross-drilled. The drive side hole is drilled from the non-drive side to get the angle right. The hole in the rim inner wall will be on the opposite side to the hole on the outer wall (which the nipple sits in).

Also, your pictures aren't showing up.

- Joel

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
The rims are cross-drilled. The drive side hole is drilled from the non-drive side to get the angle right. The hole in the rim inner wall will be on the opposite side to the hole on the outer wall (which the nipple sits in).

Also, your pictures aren't showing up.

- Joel
Ok, that makes sense. So all is good then.