Haematoma treatment

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently had a crash, clipping a tree sending me backwards into a rock shelf. Impact was substantial and ground zero was hip/lower back. Ended up with lots of swelling and bruising on my lower back and hip. Also strangely had massive swelling and bruising in my groin, although not a point of impact.

Doctor diagnosed a torn vein from the force of the impact, which bled into my groin. After a week, the bruising in my groin has started to reduce, but I have a large hot water bottle sized pouch of fluid on my hip. The last time something similar happened it put pressure on a nerve and endured a week of hell.

To avoid the possibility of this happening again, I am going to see a physio to start massaging it out. I have heard of guys getting them drained, but my doctor has never even suggested it, making me think it may not be successful??

I have been told to stay away from anti imflammatory products in case it starst the vein bleeding again. I am also using a natural anti imflammatory product (non blood thinning) called Traumeel which is a cream.

Anyone had much success with any other methods.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Reading your post was like re reading my last month after a big off, even down to the pressure on the nerve ( front of hip) man doesn't that fucken hurt like a bitch.
, bruising all the way to the family jewels. Anyway I went to the docs got some strong anti inflamitaries not the over the counter crap and it help substantially. Probably a week from getting back on the MTB. I would advise against the physio for a while as any pressure on the surrounding muscles puts pressure on the nerve. Good luck with your recovery.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If there is free bloody fluid moving around on your hip area it should be drained otherwise the bruising just has to breakdown and massage and stretching is OK .Mostly its just time.
If there is a next time ,hopefully not, the most important thing is to treat it properly at the start to try to limit the amount of bruising/ bleeding .ie RICE
Hitting a tree or rock is particularly bad because unlike sliding and hitting something the energy has to go somewhere immediately.
I should know I've done it too.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. Anyway I went to the docs got some strong anti inflamitaries not the over the counter crap and it help substantially.
I have some strong anti inflammatory drugs, but was told to avoid using them as there was the chance the torn vein may start bleeding again ( as the drugs thin the blood)

Am very tempted to roll the dice but...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 week update...

Went and saw physio mate who was very confident that lymphatic drainage by massage would be enough to reduce the swelling, until he saw it...

He was very impressed with my efforts and has been working away at it with little improvement. He advised me to go back on the strong anti inflammatory drugs, which has reduced the generalised swelling but not the haematoma. Another visit to the GP confirmed that it would be at least 4 weeks before there was any obvious reduction in size. He ruled out draining it, as he doesn't feel that it would provide any great relief as the damage is still the same regardless and there is a chance of introducing infection with that procedure.

Went out for a ride on the track where I did it and managed 20km, that while uncomfortable, wasn't too painful. I have a roadtrip in 2 weeks riding some very cool old school Dh trails that I have been looking forward to for ages, so will have to very, very careful.

Crashing on that side would not be good :)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I've used Traumeel several times with good results tho in this case id use the tablets internally. Tumeric is also a natural anti-inflammatory. I'd use heat lacks as well as stretching and massage, Hiruidoid cream on the bruises and be prepared for six weeks to three months of recovery. When I'm not on the phone I'll elaborate...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used Traumeel several times with good results tho in this case id use the tablets internally. Tumeric is also a natural anti-inflammatory. I'd use heat lacks as well as stretching and massage, Hiruidoid cream on the bruises and be prepared for six weeks to three months of recovery. When I'm not on the phone I'll elaborate...
Yeah thanks for that, sounds very similar to what my mate has told me. He is a big believer in natural therapies and he highly recommended the Traumeel, and was confident that he could sort it without drugs. First thing he said to when he saw it was, " You need to start taking those drugs" :)

Heat pads, stretching, massaging upwards towards the heart. He also said that as the hip settled down, other parts would get sore. He was right, as my tail bone area is super sensitive at the moment.