half link chains

sickdogmadrash

Likes Dirt
so fellas, whats the story with the half links. how do they work? do they work better? are they best for a single speed or do you have to get one on a single speed. i ride a downhill and me mate is upgrading to a single speeder and we want to know.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I'd stay away from them, just buy a standard bmx chain and one half link if you are having trouble with vertical drop outs.

They stretch sooooo fast, and theyre weaker too.

j12345

Likes Dirt
i would have to completely disagree with the two above posts. My half link chain has lasted me ages, well over a year. And i would have to say that the half link chain stretched far less than my kmc chain which continued to stretch up until the day i got rid of it. Absolutely zero complaints from me and absolutely loving being able to run my stays slammed.

only probelm is breaking a half link, you will have many troubles with normal breakers and i have found for best results use a hammer

and in response to your question, is it only for ss, i dont think your going to be able to get a half link chain long enough to run through the derailer, nor will you be able to get it through due to its width.

S!C!E!R!

Banned
I'd stay away from them, just buy a standard bmx chain and one half link if you are having trouble with vertical drop outs.

They stretch sooooo fast, and theyre weaker too.
second that
Ah have you two ever heard of the shadow Conspiracy V2?

There only downside is there weight...

'Bit of over-kill unless you are doing sproket grinds or ride skateparks heaps though...

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
people who think that half link chains are stupid are fools. they serve many purposes which regular chains would not be able to do. in particular, and what their main purpose to do is to run a higher tension in the chain. with smaller teeth, turning more frequently, the chain is able to wrap around tighter, smaller rings more smoothly, which is excellent on small gear ratios like 25 - 16.
they are also excellent if you run a vertical dropout, because the links are smaller, there is a higher chance of getting the perfect tension in your chain, without having to spend even more money, cluttering up bte back of the bike with simple tension seekers and other chain tensioning devices.
all chains stretch. half links obviously stretch more, because there are more links. this stretching can work in your favour at times and if your running horizontal dropout, its not a problem at all, just tighten the slack out with your ASP or tuggs.
i havn't heard of people running half link chains with gears. i dont see the purpose, because the slack tension in any chain is taken out by the rear deraileur. which is what it is designed to do.
i have a half link and a regular. lots of people run half links for a reason which should not be dismissed so quickly. also, if you ask me, i think they have the added bonus of looking pretty sick!
yes they are a little bit harder to pop, but in half links defence, there are plenty of regular chains out there which are worse than many half links.
i would keep half links to single speed rides only. like street, dj, and bmx, although i have seen it on many other styles of riding. if it works, then do it.

S!C!E!R!

Banned
]The chain is able to wrap around tighter, smaller rings more smoothly, which is excellent on small gear ratios like 25 - 16.
Dude 25-16 is not a small ratio...

25%16= 1.56 :confused: ...

Um yes what you said is all true BUT they can weigh a tone...

j12345

Likes Dirt
i think it would be more the 9 and 10 tooth drivers where the halflink would prove to be superior.
and to those complaining about the weight, the kmc kool chain is quoted as (a popular choice by dj/street riders) 14.9 oz and the shadow half link comes in at 15 oz. Showing it not to be that heavy, although i do not know how many links the weight of the kmc was. maybe a few more than (half the amount of) the shadow.

TRA1NR

Squid
I'm about to build up an ss park bike with a half link chain. I was wondering what is the best/easiest technique to break a half link?

cheers,

Daniel.

S!C!E!R!

Banned
i think it would be more the 9 and 10 tooth drivers where the halflink would prove to be superior.
and to those complaining about the weight, the kmc kool chain is quoted as (a popular choice by dj/street riders) 14.9 oz and the shadow half link comes in at 15 oz. Showing it not to be that heavy, although i do not know how many links the weight of the kmc was. maybe a few more than (half the amount of) the shadow.
The ordinary KMC kool chains suck the big one but the superlights or the original KMC chains are good...

Lets just say thoose weights are wrong...

I'm about to build up an ss park bike with a half link chain. I was wondering what is the best/easiest technique to break a half link?

cheers,

Daniel.
With a chainbreaker...

shred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah have you two ever heard of the shadow Conspiracy V2?

There only downside is there weight...

'Bit of over-kill unless you are doing sproket grinds or ride skateparks heaps though...
thats what i have. and IMO is crapppp.

framd0

Likes Dirt

cheers,

Daniel.
i got an old big cahin breacker and i just take the chain link holder off to take half links of