Halfpipe

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, I am going to start building a half pipe in my yard, I have all my plans drawn up but just have a few questions (probably sound pretty stupid) but what exactly is the transition and what size (as in thickness) plywood do I need:)
cheers Zac

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was planning on building one over the next few weeks, until the cheapest quote I could get for all the wood was $1200 :eek:

Use layered 3/4" ply, covered by 3/8" ply, and covered again by 1/4" massonite ;)

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the reply's but does anyone know what the transition is, my uncle is a builder so I'm going to get wood off him and he gets a certain % off the wood (traders price). I already have a lot of good wood I basically just need the Plywood:)

hubbie

Forever 1,337
depends completely on what height and what sort of ramp you want. If you want a mini ramp, go about 4.5ft high with 6ft radius transition or something like that, maybe more than 6 ft

Big_Chief

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from talking to a skatepark designer last year for my majorwork generally the base is 1.5x the height of the ramp.

so if it waws a 6ft quarter it would have a 9ft base and the transition would be something like 13ft or something

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys I'm not asking how big the transition has to be but exactly what is the transition:p

hubbie

Forever 1,337
the curve. You might have a ramp that's 4ft high, but if the radius of the transition was also 4ft, then the ramp would go vert, which you don' want on a mini ramp. just look up some plans.

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the curve. You might have a ramp that's 4ft high, but if the radius of the transition was also 4ft, then the ramp would go vert, which you don' want on a mini ramp. just look up some plans.

thanks for that mate, just wasn't 100% sure. I'm thinking around 6ft high, because I want something bigger I can air out on:p

Mini ramp

Hey i built a mini ramp about a year ago mine's 3ft high 20 somthing ft long and 8ft wide, i don't find 8ft long enough but you might also it needs to be atlest 4ft high otherwise its like riding banks i used these plans that show 4ft and 6ft designs aswell. www. rickdahlen .com
Its going to cost you around $1000 in wood (not treated by the way I wouldn't bother with massonite it's slipprey and gets wet like cardboard) there fair easy to build the plans are really descriptive. If your lands not level you need to build fair good foundations to keep it level also this can be expensive and time consuming. You will also need a tarp to keep it dry i put a lader in the middle of mine to make the water run tarps work well and save your money from buying treated wood, also to stop the wood rotting you should paint it.
I will put pictures of the foundations and ramp on my profile.
If you have any questions message me.:)

ethanmay10

Cannon Fodder
spending a million dollars building a skatepark...

i have a project in school on how to spend a million dollars. i picked building a skatepark. i am trying to build a huge maybe 2 acre outdoor skatepark. i have to track every detail and price for everything. construction materials, buying the land, everything.

does anybody have any ideas of what would make this skatepark really fun, or seen any awesome skateparks that could give me any ideas?

thanks.

ethanmay10

Cannon Fodder
building a million dollar skatepark

i have a project in school on how to spend a million dollars. i picked building a skatepark. i am trying to build a huge maybe 2 acre outdoor skatepark. i have to track every detail and price for everything. construction materials, buying the land, everything.

does anybody have any ideas of what would make this skatepark really fun, or seen any awesome skateparks that could give me any ideas?

thanks.