Halls Gap Trails ?

peej

Squid
I'm off to Halls Gap with the family over the Melbourne Cup weekend and I'll be taking my bike up with me and I'm keen to get some training in for the DIRTWORKS 50KM ride that I have signed up for.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good trails for practice in the general Halls Gap vicinity ? I'd be keen to find some single track but any form of training would be fun.

Thanks,

Peej

vogmae

Likes Dirt
Tried to ride there 3 or 4 years ago, trails from Halls north along the main escarpment. Just access roads with what I remember was a lot of sand. It is national park so can't ride walking trails so you need to find the access roads that are closed and ride those. The parks office will be able to tell you. But if I went again I'd take my road bike...

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was down there in January. Got some advice for some trails from an ex-local rider, and they turned out to be shit. Soft sandy 4wd tracks mostly, like vogmae said. Too much hike-a-bike. Did one decent ride on the road (on my singlespeed) from Halls Gap up to the top of Mount William, but that was the highlight.

Next time I'm down there, I'll take some proper hiking boots and stick to walking. I did heaps of rugged walks by myself once I decided to leave the bike at the caravan park. Got a good work-out that way.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
absolutely no trails down that way im afraid :( just 4wd tracks
The local shires used some funding to develop a bike / tourism plan for the entire South West of Victoria - Geelong through to the South Australia border.

Dunkeld, at the southern end of the Grampians, was selected as the best site for a MTB park. If there are going to be any trails, this is where they will be built

Roland

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
I agree with the others, the Gramps has zero MTB trails, just fire roads - Either full of cars, or not great riding to be honest. Even the hill climbs would be a bit hairy for training with all the tourist traffic, it's scary enough driving up and down sometimes.

peej

Squid
thanks for the advice guys...doesn't sound that thrilling, I may do a couple of day trips in the car and see what I can find. Otherwise I might just see what the access roads are like to atleast keep the training going.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
The local shires used some funding to develop a bike / tourism plan for the entire South West of Victoria - Geelong through to the South Australia border.

Dunkeld, at the southern end of the Grampians, was selected as the best site for a MTB park. If there are going to be any trails, this is where they will be built

Roland
true, i have seen this report but cant remeber where now d'oh